Bus drivers please read, for it will help others on this site

Chris Frusci

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11a Safari/525.20)

I'm taking the Boss next month as many others are. Does anyone have any status on the new depot under construction on staten island? Maybe that can help move the waiting lists. Hopefully they find the $$ that is missing as well..

Hmmm

I know it won't be too soon, so I'm trying to find a bright spot.

Good luck everybody-

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11a Safari/525.20)

I'm taking the Boss next month as many others are. Does anyone have any status on the new depot under construction on staten island? Maybe that can help move the waiting lists. Hopefully they find the $$ that is missing as well..

Hmmm

I know it won't be too soon, so I'm trying to find a bright spot.

Good luck everybody-

Old article I know. http://www.silive.com/transportation/index.ssf/2008/09/2_new_staten_island_bus_depots.html

A more recent article. April 9th,2009.

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/04/senators_secure_7_million_in_c.html

Thanks alot Loco.. maybe within the year a decent job again. Hope it helps get those additional buses that I've heard they need.. (from drivers)

I didn't even read the old article.

Thanks alot Loco.. maybe within the year a decent job again. Hope it helps get those additional buses that I've heard they need.. (from drivers)

I didn't even read the old article.

One of the articles goes on to say that there might even be a 4th bus depot on Staten island in the near future. Too many buses and not enough space at the 2 current depots to keep them in or repair them. The ideal ratio is to have 1 maintenance lift for every 15 buses.

4th one i beleave is on south ave they might do that old chocolate factory building that one might be converted into a bus depot that`s what some bus drivers told me it will be converted into a bus depot but they gotta change the floors or sumthing because that floor is not strong enuff 2 hold the buses make the floor heavy duty.

1 of my co-worker told me there are 2 B/O classes going on right now. totaling 108 students. he said he got this info from dispatchers.

Somebody posted on another thread that they saw a Bus parked on Cross Bay Blvd/157th Ave with 3 students inside having lunch. So that confirms that there are classes going on. The RTS bus was from the ENY depot. I think this is for mta bus and not from exam #5025.

Somebody posted on another thread that they saw a Bus parked on Cross Bay Blvd/157th Ave with 3 students inside having lunch. So that confirms that there are classes going on. The RTS bus was from the ENY depot. I think this is for mta bus and not from exam #5025.

i doubt it's for MTA bus, since TA/OA are short right now, especially in bronx. if the # 108 is true. then i don't think MTA bus will need that many anyway.

i doubt it's for MTA bus, since TA/OA are short right now, especially in bronx. if the # 108 is true. then i don't think MTA bus will need that many anyway.

The reason why I suspected it was mta bus was that nobody on here from the 5025 exam said anything about a class going on. Same thing with the Mabstoa list. Come to think of it there was a guy who posted a couple of weeks ago saying that he was in training with the College Point depot(mta bus).

These 2 classes most likely started before the cuts/services were put on the table. Maybe they have a hire to fire plan,I am aware that there are layoffs for B/O's coming soon.

the bus line that is having training classes is the jfk depot its mta bus the old green bus line it is the private lines also spring creek depot which was command bus has one going on also i heard nothing on any training going on for ta buses all us us that are on 8006 and the list thats still active will have a very long wait:cry:

the bus line that is having training classes is the jfk depot its mta bus the old green bus line it is the private lines also spring creek depot which was command bus has one going on also i heard nothing on any training going on for ta buses all us us that are on 8006 and the list thats still active will have a very long wait:cry:

Aha,thanks for the info. I figured it was for mta bus. Now the longer the wait,do you think the more people turn down the letter/call when the time comes? There are around 700 list numbers ahead of us sealteam...how many classes can they get from that pool more or less?

For the people who want this bad enough,we are willing to wait it out,staying the course!

that depends if you have your cdl-bp or permit,also high school diploma,criminal record background check, the drug test and the medical vision,hearing blood pressure etc.no accidents they want clean drivers license they might go through 100 people and get 25-30 out of that or less .the next day the same thing when livingston st gets back up to par they call by the hundreds but thats not it then the training part you aint on time for class goodbye the road test if they think you cant handle the bus goodbye then after that you go to line training with another driver dealing with the public people with attitudes,farebeaters,drunks ,traffic you name it i seen new drivers say i had enough of this s..t never come back.then you got the beekers undercover from zereger riding the bus on probation looking to write you up or fire you for anything then you got the line dispatchers to write you up also i seen most of what goes on and what to do and not to do i just hope i dont break my leg again or any bones this time around dont go sick at least try not to!!! it safe to say once they start hiring we should get called within the year or less:tup:

that depends if you have your cdl-bp or permit,also high school diploma,criminal record background check, the drug test and the medical vision,hearing blood pressure etc.no accidents they want clean drivers license they might go through 100 people and get 25-30 out of that or less .the next day the same thing when livingston st gets back up to par they call by the hundreds but thats not it then the training part you aint on time for class goodbye the road test if they think you cant handle the bus goodbye then after that you go to line training with another driver dealing with the public people with attitudes,farebeaters,drunks ,traffic you name it i seen new drivers say i had enough of this s..t never come back.then you got the beekers undercover from zereger riding the bus on probation looking to write you up or fire you for anything then you got the line dispatchers to write you up also i seen most of what goes on and what to do and not to do i just hope i dont break my leg again or any bones this time around dont go sick at least try not to!!! it safe to say once they start hiring we should get called within the year or less:tup:

I thought they don't ask you for your H.S diploma? Beekers? I thought Chris said they were beekees? lol..I hear on the scanner sometimes "make sure he doesn't see you"...after awhile a B/O knows all the hiding places. Always assume that you are being watched at all times.

Once we finish the boss,the next step is the drug/medical right? 180 Livingston is hard to get to for me at least. Either by bus or subway it is going to take me over 1 hr. Q60(Queens Blvd/Woodside to Queens Plaza>B61 to Jay St. F train from 74th St/Broadway to Downtown Brooklyn or the G local(20+stops). The F sounds like the fastest way(mainly express in Queens,not sure about manhattan stops).

Guess how much they quoted me for parking? the lot is on the same block as 180 Livingston St..$30.00! yeah I have a van,but wtf? parking is very difficult,I could drive but I would have to park far away to find street parking.

Guess how much they quoted me for parking? the lot is on the same block as 180 Livingston St..$30.00! yeah I have a van,but wtf? parking is very difficult,I could drive but I would have to park far away to find street parking.

There is a parking lot right across the street from 180 livingston next to Macy's. The prices are very reasonable and it doesn't matter what you're driving. Pretty sure it's $12 for the entire day morning to night.

i may be wrong on the high school diploma i would have to check the qaulifications it might have been for another city exam a while ago i get mixed up .i call them beekers some call them beekies i had a guy sit in the front of my bus when i was driving the q44 to the bronx he read the newspaper all the way at the last stop he showed me his badge and said i was on your bus to observe how you drive he told me a did a good job and keep making your annoucements for the stops and i wont have a problem but you would never know who is on your bus be carefull on probation oh well you know the story with me .i will be taking the a to jay st and walk 3 blocks to livingston the f stops there also

There is a parking lot right across the street from 180 livingston next to Macy's. The prices are very reasonable and it doesn't matter what you're driving. Pretty sure it's $12 for the entire day morning to night.

Thanks Jah,that sounds more reasonable. The place that quoted me $30.00 is on 160 Livingston St(Edison Parking)

I don't mind walking if I have to park far from 180 Livingston St,but what you just told me is my best option. Thanks for the parking tip Jah! See it now on google maps(Macy's garage park)

i may be wrong on the high school diploma i would have to check the qaulifications it might have been for another city exam a while ago i get mixed up .i call them beekers some call them beekies i had a guy sit in the front of my bus when i was driving the q44 to the bronx he read the newspaper all the way at the last stop he showed me his badge and said i was on your bus to observe how you drive he told me a did a good job and keep making your annoucements for the stops and i wont have a problem but you would never know who is on your bus be carefull on probation oh well you know the story with me .i will be taking the a to jay st and walk 3 blocks to livingston the f stops there also

Wait,the B/O has to announce each and every bus stop? excuse my ignorance I haven't been on a city bus since the mid 90's,lol. It's all good about the beekers,B/O's have to maintain a standard of professionalism. Only YOU can get yourself fired,do what you were taught to do and you will be all right.

Wait,the B/O has to announce each and every bus stop? excuse my ignorance I haven't been on a city bus since the mid 90's,lol. It's all good about the beekers,B/O's have to maintain a standard of professionalism. Only YOU can get yourself fired,do what you were taught to do and you will be all right.

From what I've heard, b/o's are supposed to announce the main stops and the transfers there. Most that I run into are professional. There is one driver ok the s89 that goes to Bayonne that actually plays a radio pretty loud. I think it is disturbing when you are trying to read or study. :mad: Maybe he figures on this line they are all 20 yr vets so there are no spies.. Or are they beekeers?

Many driverstake this job for granted. Obviously these days nobody should.

I took exam #5025 I took the Boss. I had some stuff to clear-up the day I receieved the 21 page packet so I wasn't able to proceed. They called me in April 2008 but I never recieved the letter in the mail or phone call so I was noted as failed to report. I had to go back to DCAS and put my name back on the list somewhere between July and Sept. 08 and I have been waiting ever since. I now hear their are driver's who started in March 2009 being laid-off but how did they start in March 2009? Is their really a hiring freeze or is it just BS? I am planning to go to 180 Livingston in the next couple of days.

I thought they don't ask you for your H.S diploma? Beekers? I thought Chris said they were beekees? lol..I hear on the scanner sometimes "make sure he doesn't see you"...after awhile a B/O knows all the hiding places. Always assume that you are being watched at all times.

Once we finish the boss,the next step is the drug/medical right? 180 Livingston is hard to get to for me at least. Either by bus or subway it is going to take me over 1 hr. Q60(Queens Blvd/Woodside to Queens Plaza>B61 to Jay St. F train from 74th St/Broadway to Downtown Brooklyn or the G local(20+stops). The F sounds like the fastest way(mainly express in Queens,not sure about manhattan stops).

Take the A train....the q37 goes to the 111th from queens blvd. . Thats only a 30minute ride from there...the bus is 15-20 minutes from queens blvd sometimes less sometimes 10mins.From the other post though it seems that you have to be there at 6am.

Take the A train....the q37 goes to the 111th from queens blvd. . Thats only a 30minute ride from there...the bus is 15-20 minutes from queens blvd sometimes less sometimes 10mins.From the other post though it seems that you have to be there at 6am.

Huh? I have to be there at 10:30am for the BOSS. I am nowhere near Richmond Hill or the A line. Going to drive there since there is a parking lot next to Macy's.

I took exam #5025 I took the Boss. I had some stuff to clear-up the day I receieved the 21 page packet so I wasn't able to proceed. They called me in April 2008 but I never recieved the letter in the mail or phone call so I was noted as failed to report. I had to go back to DCAS and put my name back on the list somewhere between July and Sept. 08 and I have been waiting ever since. I now hear their are driver's who started in March 2009 being laid-off but how did they start in March 2009? Is their really a hiring freeze or is it just BS? I am planning to go to 180 Livingston in the next couple of days.

21 page booklet? I thought it was 20 pages,this is like for your school,employment,background history right? How far back do they go for work history? 10 yrs? I have gaps of unemployment and off the books jobs during the past 10-15 yrs. That is my only issue if it really is one. I am going to be honest though,not going to lie about anything in my past. That could come back to haunt me later on.

From what I've heard, b/o's are supposed to announce the main stops and the transfers there. Most that I run into are professional. There is one driver ok the s89 that goes to Bayonne that actually plays a radio pretty loud. I think it is disturbing when you are trying to read or study. :mad: Maybe he figures on this line they are all 20 yr vets so there are no spies.. Or are they beekeers?

Many driverstake this job for granted. Obviously these days nobody should.

Oh no! I am terrified about public speaking,haha..not a problem Fred. I have heard that some B/O's like to sing while they drive.

They should invent a "beekie radar detector"...so you are warned ahead of time. Do these beekies always sit towards the front of the bus?

21 page booklet? I thought it was 20 pages,this is like for your school,employment,background history right? How far back do they go for work history? 10 yrs? I have gaps of unemployment and off the books jobs during the past 10-15 yrs. That is my only issue if it really is one. I am going to be honest though,not going to lie about anything in my past. That could come back to haunt me later on.

10yrs for work history, you can't have gaps in between. any unemployment or work off the book can write 'unemployment and support by family'

Oh no! I am terrified about public speaking,haha..not a problem Fred. I have heard that some B/O's like to sing while they drive.

They should invent a "beekie radar detector"...so you are warned ahead of time. Do these beekies always sit towards the front of the bus?

B/O are require to make ADA announcements. you will have them in your paddle report. as long as you call out the street/ave name, that's fine. it's better to announce the bus/train transfer for a stop(if you remember), but it's not required. they will fire/extend you if you don't call out in probation.

B/O are require to make ADA announcements. you will have them in your paddle report. as long as you call out the street/ave name, that's fine. it's better to announce the bus/train transfer for a stop(if you remember), but it's not required. they will fire/extend you if you don't call out in probation.

I see,that isn't a problem. They want you to have both hands on the wheel,so do you make the announcements while driving or when the bus pulls into a stop?

I would figure most bus passengers would know what stop to get off since they are regular customers or they would ask you before paying the fare..does this bus go to here? You drive in Manhattan so you must get a lot of tourists and I am sure you see a lot of puzzled,lost looks on their faces,lol.

I hear that a lot,what is the paddle? like a trip sheet? What does it mean when they say "On the Manhattan patch?"

I also hear different people say "29 alpha, 79 bravo, 29 charlie,79 delta,is that like some kind of a radio check? they don't sound like B/O's or dispatchers,this goes on for like 5 minutes.

Archived