Bus drivers please read, for it will help others on this site

Chris Frusci

When I said people on the mabstoa list, I meant people from mabstoa. They are using up list 5205 first, then they are going to 2801. 5025 came out first. They used the old mabstoa list (the on where the filing begane sept 05) before they used 5025. So it went mabstoa, nyct (currently 5025) then they will use 2801. Keep in mind, 2801 will go alot faster than 5205. Alot of people fail that drug test. ALOT. I was number 5700 on the last mabstoa list and they got to my number in 1 1/2 years.

This seems to be apart of streamlining. Use one list to put people in both divisions, then use the other for the same. Much simpler than using the OA for OA, and TA for TA. Now people who applied for an exam before others, can get in quicker and go to TA or OA.

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My random number is 3162 for mabstoa #2801 so I'm just relaxing until I get a letter saying I pass the b.o.s.s. Cause I took the exam on 3/7/08 I know that's going to take a few months hopefully by the summer I would get in chris,dob, thanks a lot cause some 1 was confusing talking about there was only 49 questions on the exam I know I wasn't crazy cause I remember answering 75 questions lol lol

Well see, DOB is leaving buses. He is too good for us (he's going over to rapid transit)....lol......but I will still be here!!

Yea as long as your on some list your good. You were smart for filing. My list will be up shortly. As soon as mine is up they will probably start yours. Good luck.

My random number is 3162 for mabstoa #2801 so I'm just relaxing until I get a letter saying I pass the b.o.s.s. Cause I took the exam on 3/7/08 I know that's going to take a few months hopefully by the summer I would get in chris,dob, thanks a lot cause some 1 was confusing talking about there was only 49 questions on the exam I know I wasn't crazy cause I remember answering 75 questions lol lol

whats good im new to the site i was just reading your post im also on the 2801 list my #is 3405 i took the boss exam on the 11th i hope i get called for the medical as well good luck what do you think our chances are

i`m just waiting to take the test because i want this job i need it to pay off my student loan`s which i owe 20,000 because i went to school for automechanic and i see them want experenced mechanics so i`m just the beginer but i don`t wanna wait for experence i need a real job asap. the dmv cdL lincese i`ll get it on my own so i can`t wait to take this job for sure i know it`s a real one lol

whats good im new to the site i was just reading your post im also on the 2801 list my #is 3405 i took the boss exam on the 11th i hope i get called for the medical as well good luck what do you think our chances are

Overtyme: I think your chances are great. You took the boss survey. Once you take the boss survey, its only a matter of time. The big question is, how much time? No one can answer that, not even the people in the human resource department that work for the MTA can answer that. I would say more towards the end of the year. Around november. Just enjoy the whole process. You won't ever forget it.

i`m just waiting to take the test because i want this job i need it to pay off my student loan`s which i owe 20,000 because i went to school for automechanic and i see them want experenced mechanics so i`m just the beginer but i don`t wanna wait for experence i need a real job asap. the dmv cdL lincese i`ll get it on my own so i can`t wait to take this job for sure i know it`s a real one lol

Igor: Take your time. Take it step by step. Read my post entiteled "Anyone taking test # 8006". There are 5 practice questions. Its not much, but atleast you know what to expect. Concentrate on scoring high on the test, then worry about the next step.

hi im new to this post i find the information very helpful its really nice to see others willing to help others i would just like to know in oct. i filled out the coupon in the newapaper for the bus operater exam #2801 where you just had to send in a 30 dollor money order there was no civil service test for this exam i just recived a letter last week to take the boss exam on the 11th of march i would just like to know what to expect next if i pass the boss exam about how long could it take to be called for the training my list # is 3405 and can i still get into the training if i already have my cdl but i have a n2 resticttion meaning i am not allowed to transport no more than 8 pasengers i actullay got my cdl through dsny at floyd bennett field in bklyn but was never called becuse the list expired before they got to my list #it was the list that expired in feb.08 :confused:

Do you know what list # they reached for DSNYfrom your list? 8,000-9,000? There is talk about a list freeze for the DSNY exam #6063 list,I hear something different every day.

Do you know what list # they reached for DSNYfrom your list? 8,000-9,000? There is talk about a list freeze for the DSNY exam #6063 list,I hear something different every day.

On the last Sanitation list, they reached just about 8000. My friend was 8200 and he was just about to get called.

There is an official freeze on the new sanitaion list. I'm on that list. My list number is 770. Yes, seven hundred and seventy. I will probably turn it down. Why would I do such a thing? -BECAUSE BUS DRIVERS MAKE MORE.

Sanitaion relies on snow. Bus drivers make 55 hours a week. Lets compare.

Bus Drivers $27.00 an hour times 55 hours = $1485.00

Sanitation $28.50 an hour times 40 hours = $1140.00

Sanitation workers make CRAZY overtime in the winter. Lets get real. Which one of you guys are going to work 20 hours straight plowing snow? Yes you can do very well with sanitation, if you do not want to see your family in the winter. Also, don't think you will work a day past 20 years. Picking up grabage will certainly take a toll on your body. So when your 45 and you retire, how are you going to pay for your kids college? These are all things I ask myself. Now there are benefits to sanitaion.

With sanitation, you only work 4 hours a day until your route is done. No passengers breathing down your back. Nobody yelling at your because they are late.

So for my situation, I came to a conclusion. For any of these city/state jobs, the key is to move up as quickly as possible before you get any seniority or any weekends off. I am taking the dispatchers exam (nyct dispatcher) in may. Hopefully I can move up in three years. In that case, why would I go from a dispatcher to a sanitation worker.

Other notable differences: Sanitaion, 5 1/2 years to get to top pay. $15.24 to start. No overtime until you gain seniority. With starting pay, you come home with $377.00 per week (I know this because my GOOD friend is a sanitation worker). Note: This is based on not working the truck (you get an extra $40.00 per day for being on the truck picking up garbage-mid 1990's contract took an extra guy off the truck, now there are only 2 guys picking up grabage). You work in all types of weather. So if you hate freezing rain in the winter, and swamp ass in the summer, this would be torture for you.

Bus Operator, 3 years to get to top pay. Starting pay $18.84 an hour. You average 55-60 hours per week because you go on an extra list. You will come home with $600.00 per week (on an average). You are on a warm bus in the winter, and a cold bus in the summer.

Basically, if you don't mind putting up with the publics b/s for a while until you get promoted, then Bus Operating would be the way to go. Especially since it looks like they are passing the 20 year retirement. (Can't collect pension until 50 years old)

Any questions about sanitation or anything please ask.

FRUSCI FOR PRESIDENT

oh i will chris i`ll take every time they give me until the time is up meaning let`s say the test is 3 hours i`ll stay there 3 hours until they say times up i`ll read everything reveiw step by step i`m in no rush i`ll reread over every question andthanks for posting those 5 questions chris.

Well see, DOB is leaving buses. He is too good for us (he's going over to rapid transit)....lol......but I will still be here!!

That's right........:D:D:D:D

Yeah now DOB gets to take the TOSS Exam.

Does it consist of a salad? I hope not. I might change my mind if so.........

Damn dob u did a crossover like iverson did to jordan lol nah I feel u good luck make that money I'm not mad @ u

It ain't about making that money. It's about what I can deal with. Just tired of driving and the stress that goes with it. Buses get no respect around here. You know I sent a letter to TWU, my senator, and to Spitzers office, about the Yield to bus signs in N.J.. The letter was an idea to bring here. That way we can be more protected. Heard nothing, but really didn't expect to hear anything. The Bronx is a place I recommend to not drive for the MTA. A driver who left for Brooklyn during this general pick, says it is far better there. The people have their fare ready, they're lined up, free rides get rarely asked, etc....Manhattan, Queens, and STI are they same way. The Bronx is a free for all. No ones prepared. They start counting their fare at the farebox, or take out their MetroCard then, delaying the bus. Tired of the stupidity. You know their the main ones to ask why the bus is late. My answer to them is, "cause you all make it late, by not having you monies together, and block everyone else by taking it out, or counting it at the fare box", and taking you precious time getting on the bus. Sad thing is today I took the Bee-Line 2 (bus 204 the Hybrid), to the 1 train today (didn't feel like driving to work). They get the same crap, since they been MetroCarded. People with boojie cards, or people come from the hospital (rehab), and ain't got the fare. Same sh!t, different uniform with the public. Oh and I think the Bronx bus lines are the least money making percentage wise, due to the farebeats. They need to stop writing up drivers here, and let the buses always be late. Maybe 85% of the riders here pay their full fare. That 15% is a big loss revenue wise.

The difference at top pay for a B/O compared to a B div T/O is about $2. $1 and change for A div T/O.

they should put a under cover transit cop on every bus so if the people try to beat the fare just for that give them a 300 dollar summins for fare beating that`s what i think the mta should do if i become the driver and people refuse to pay the fare i`ll please step off the bus or i`ll say i can`t do it my boss is watching me

they should put a under cover transit cop on every bus so if the people try to beat the fare just for that give them a 300 dollar summins for fare beating that`s what i think the mta should do if i become the driver and people refuse to pay the fare i`ll please step off the bus or i`ll say i can`t do it my boss is watching me

That would be nice to do, but transit has their policy. They have been putting them on the Bx1/2, and have police cars follow the buses, and they have cuffed people while taking them off the bus. Was told this by Bx1/2 drivers who I drop off along the way to my Bx41, when I do a pull-out.

Hey DOB2RTO: Your becoming a t/o. So basically you have to go back to elementary school to train. They turned an elementary school into a training facility for t/o's. LOL I love that. They have to bring you guys back to an elementary school to train you....he he he

I am taking the dispatchers exam (nyct dispatcher) in may. Hopefully I can move up in three years. In that case, why would I go from a dispatcher to a sanitation worker.

Good luck. Just if you score to well, what happens? Do they just hold you info for 3 years, or throw it out?

So if you hate freezing rain in the winter, and swamp ass in the summer, this would be torture for you.

The latter is when a man can smell worse than a woman. During the summer, I almost knock my own self out.....

You are on a warm bus in the winter, and a cold bus in the summer.

They told us the opposite when I was hired. A/C in the winter, and heat in the summer. So get use to it, they said. Had it happen already in the winter. Not good. Especially working overnight, when it's coldest.

On the last Sanitation list, they reached just about 8000. My friend was 8200 and he was just about to get called.

There is an official freeze on the new sanitaion list. I'm on that list. My list number is 770. Yes, seven hundred and seventy. I will probably turn it down. Why would I do such a thing? -BECAUSE BUS DRIVERS MAKE MORE.

Sanitaion relies on snow. Bus drivers make 55 hours a week. Lets compare.

Bus Drivers $27.00 an hour times 55 hours = $1485.00

Sanitation $28.50 an hour times 40 hours = $1140.00

Sanitation workers make CRAZY overtime in the winter. Lets get real. Which one of you guys are going to work 20 hours straight plowing snow? Yes you can do very well with sanitation, if you do not want to see your family in the winter. Also, don't think you will work a day past 20 years. Picking up grabage will certainly take a toll on your body. So when your 45 and you retire, how are you going to pay for your kids college? These are all things I ask myself. Now there are benefits to sanitaion.

With sanitation, you only work 4 hours a day until your route is done. No passengers breathing down your back. Nobody yelling at your because they are late.

So for my situation, I came to a conclusion. For any of these city/state jobs, the key is to move up as quickly as possible before you get any seniority or any weekends off. I am taking the dispatchers exam (nyct dispatcher) in may. Hopefully I can move up in three years. In that case, why would I go from a dispatcher to a sanitation worker.

Other notable differences: Sanitaion, 5 1/2 years to get to top pay. $15.24 to start. No overtime until you gain seniority. With starting pay, you come home with $377.00 per week (I know this because my GOOD friend is a sanitation worker). Note: This is based on not working the truck (you get an extra $40.00 per day for being on the truck picking up garbage-mid 1990's contract took an extra guy off the truck, now there are only 2 guys picking up grabage). You work in all types of weather. So if you hate freezing rain in the winter, and swamp ass in the summer, this would be torture for you.

Bus Operator, 3 years to get to top pay. Starting pay $18.84 an hour. You average 55-60 hours per week because you go on an extra list. You will come home with $600.00 per week (on an average). You are on a warm bus in the winter, and a cold bus in the summer.

Basically, if you don't mind putting up with the publics b/s for a while until you get promoted, then Bus Operating would be the way to go. Especially since it looks like they are passing the 20 year retirement. (Can't collect pension until 50 years old)

Any questions about sanitation or anything please ask.

FRUSCI FOR PRESIDENT

Well whoever calls me first is what I will choose to do,with a list number in the #5,000's I might not even be called in for processing for DSNY. You bring up a lot of good points,a foreman/supervisor though would reach $100,000 in just a few years,think they start out at 63k yr. A lot more stress but you would come home clean.

I am about 1 month away from the bus operator exam 8006,hopefully I get a very good score and my wait will be no more than 2 yrs. I like the new Grand Avenue Bus Depot in Maspeth,I am not sure if that would be an easy depot to get into. The Artics I find intimidating,prefer the RTS,the shorter the bus the better. Would prefer Brooklyn as my second choice over Queens,3rd the Bronx and then Manhattan and Staten Island.

I have my road test on monday,taking it on a school bus which I find easy to drive except for the parallel parking. I am scared to go over the curb/sidewalk so if I am a little too far from the curb(1 ft allowed)so be it,I think it is 15 point deduction. I can fail the test if the back of the bus goes over the sidewalk,besides the examiner will be standing on the sidewalk as it is. I am fine with everything else,the straight line backing,the pre-trip,air brake tests,etc.

Where can I cast my vote for President, Mr Frusci?

my exam # was 2052 my list # was 8791 the last official list # i was told the got in was 8259.5 then i was told that they are not calling from that list anymore and that they are going to start calling from a new list it was very dissapointing because i went through the whole hiring process with dsny i passed the medical i even passed my cdl trainning with dsny at floyd bennett feild dsny offers you to get your cdl through them which lasts for about a week i really thought i was in because every dsny worker i asked said that once you pass the cdl trainning its a lock to get hired because dsny charges 700 dollors for the trainning but they make you sign a paper saying that once your hired they will take 25 dollors out of your check every week until it is paid back i was actully living in viginia at the the time my hiring process begun and once they offerd me the chance to get my cdl through them i had to resign from my job because i did not have enough time on the books to stay in new york for a week and the little bit of time i did have i already used it up going back and forth to complete the medical and paper work so when i did not get called it really hurt because i left everything i even convinced my wife to quit her job thinking the dsny job was a lock it hurted for a while and it still hurts when i think about it from time to time but the lord works in mysterous ways because at least i got my cdl out of it and dsny said they wont charge me for it i just regret leaving my job and apt but things happen i hope with trnsit i get a chance to redeem myself and put my cdl to good use to be honest with you i have always wanted to work for transit by the way can anyone suggest anything to study from for the upcoming trainsit stockworker exam thats another list that screwd me was on called down to 180 jay st. from exam #2050 for stock worker my list # was 234 i did the paperwork took the drug test and was given thh 20 page booklet to fill out for city employment then i was also told that the list had expierd before they got to # which i dont understand because i thought once you take the drug test and have to fill out the 20 page booklet the hiring process has already begun this also happend to me last year in aug.also did anyone ever recived a letter from transit offering them a cleaners postion last year becaucse i also recived a letter last year from transit offering me a cleaners postion the letter said that if your interested just sign and mail it back i also did that but never heard anything else from them actully my sister in law recived the same letter about two weeks befor me and she works as a cleaner now for transit and i never heard anything from them reguarding that position as well last year had to be the worst year in my life thats why i try not to get my hopes up high for the bus drivers position

my exam # was 2052 my list # was 8791 the last official list # i was told the got in was 8259.5 then i was told that they are not calling from that list anymore and that they are going to start calling from a new list it was very dissapointing because i went through the whole hiring process with dsny i passed the medical i even passed my cdl trainning with dsny at floyd bennett feild dsny offers you to get your cdl through them which lasts for about a week i really thought i was in because every dsny worker i asked said that once you pass the cdl trainning its a lock to get hired because dsny charges 700 dollors for the trainning but they make you sign a paper saying that once your hired they will take 25 dollors out of your check every week until it is paid back i was actully living in viginia at the the time my hiring process begun and once they offerd me the chance to get my cdl through them i had to resign from my job because i did not have enough time on the books to stay in new york for a week and the little bit of time i did have i already used it up going back and forth to complete the medical and paper work so when i did not get called it really hurt because i left everything i even convinced my wife to quit her job thinking the dsny job was a lock it hurted for a while and it still hurts when i think about it from time to time but the lord works in mysterous ways because at least i got my cdl out of it and dsny said they wont charge me for it i just regret leaving my job and apt but things happen i hope with trnsit i get a chance to redeem myself and put my cdl to good use to be honest with you i have always wanted to work for transit by the way can anyone suggest anything to study from for the upcoming trainsit stockworker exam thats another list that screwd me was on called down to 180 jay st. from exam #2050 for stock worker my list # was 234 i did the paperwork took the drug test and was given thh 20 page booklet to fill out for city employment then i was also told that the list had expierd before they got to # which i dont understand because i thought once you take the drug test and have to fill out the 20 page booklet the hiring process has already begun this also happend to me last year in aug.also did anyone ever recived a letter from transit offering them a cleaners postion last year becaucse i also recived a letter last year from transit offering me a cleaners postion the letter said that if your interested just sign and mail it back i also did that but never heard anything else from them actully my sister in law recived the same letter about two weeks befor me and she works as a cleaner now for transit and i never heard anything from them reguarding that position as well last year had to be the worst year in my life thats why i try not to get my hopes up high for the bus drivers position

That is messed up,at least they waived the $700.00 cdl training fee. What kind of cdl do you have? You still need the "P" endorsement right? You will be allright,just hang in there,I am optimistic but in life it is impotant to keep it level,not get too high or to low. Looks like they hired around 2,000 DSNY workers from your #2052 list,that was then,now the city is running a large budget defecit,however they expect a large number of retirees in the next 2-3 years,since 1989 was a big hiring year for DSNY.

Yeah even with a CDL B,you will always be able to get a job no matter how the economy is doing,even more so with a CDL A. I expect next months bus operator exam to have a higher turnout than the last exam. I know that not everybody who files shows up to take the test.

That is messed up,at least they waived the $700.00 cdl training fee. What kind of cdl do you have? You still need the "P" endorsement right? You will be allright,just hang in there,I am optimistic but in life it is impotant to keep it level,not get too high or to low. Looks like they hired around 2,000 DSNY workers from your #2052 list,that was then,now the city is running a large budget defecit,however they expect a large number of retirees in the next 2-3 years,since 1989 was a big hiring year for DSNY.

Yeah even with a CDL B,you will always be able to get a job no matter how the economy is doing,even more so with a CDL A. I expect next months bus operator exam to have a higher turnout than the last exam. I know that not everybody who files shows up to take the test.

They were suppossed to start calling off the new sanitation list in febuary. Now because of the freeze which is officially in effect, they wont start calling till next febuary. Guys I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't see them calling as many people as they did last time. When I went for my physical, I asked them.

Overtyme2: from the sounds of it you had a pretty tough time finding a job. I like the fact that you are not giving up. I'm happy to hear your taking test 8006. I posted sample questions on another forum entitled "anyone taking test 8006". There are only 5 questions. Study a drivers ed manuel. I'm actually going to try and find the site online that asks drivers ed questions and give you guys the link. Thats exactly what the first 50 questions were. I studied the arco book and it just screwed me up.

I don't like giving advice. As the saying goes "wise men don't need it, and fools won't heed it". Meaning if your smart you don't need advice and if your a fool, you won't use it anyway. Just keep plucking. I think you have a better chance getting called for bus operator than you do sanitation. With the freeze, they probably won't even get up to list number 5000. Im 770, and I think I will get called around the summer of 09 (because of the freeze).

Just like DOB2RTO had his day 2 years ago when he got called for bus operator. Just like my buddy had his day when he got called for the fire department, and just like I had my day when I got called for a bus operator, you will have your day. It's hard to be patient I know, but enjoy the process.

Thats why I'm here. I took test #5025 on April 29th, 2006. 2 months after taking the test, I was asking everyone when I would be called. Nobody knew. Then I checked my answers online and I got 11 wrong. I was so depressed. I had a miserable job and thought I would never be able to get out (I was driving a truck in manhattan and was working 12 hour days getting paid for 8 hours). I didn't hear anything for a year. Finally in April of 2007, I get a letter from the MTA. It was a yellow slip, saying my list number was 825! 825??? 11 wrong and my list number was 825?? Then I thought either everyone was just as stupid as I was, or the test was actually hard. My friend got his slip, and his list number was 3400. He got 18 wrong.

At this point, I was on a mission to find out when I would get called. I'm think by summer of 2007 I would be in. Finally I find a number to call. The infamous 180 Livingston number. I call and get the greates attitude. On top of the attitude, I find out they won't start calling till november. Again I was shot down. I just waited patiently, all of a sudden this past January I got a letter telling me to go down for my drug test.

The point is, I took the test 2 years ago. It took me 2 years to get called and my list # was 825. THIS WILL NOT BE THE CASE WITH TEST 8006. They are having a mass hiring. They need alot of drivers and they will not get them from my list. There is another mabstoa list, but they won't get what they need on that. As soon as this 20/50 goes into effect, senior drivers will start dropping like flies. I think anyone who is in their mid 40's right now will be gones in 5 years. The MTA knows that, which is why they are coming out with another bus operators exam only 2 years later. It used to be every 4 years.

Your doing the right thing overtyme. Don't be too hard on yourself. If I could give my sanitation list # to someone else, I would. Think of yourself as a college football player waiting to be drafted into the nfl. It sounds silly, but it is very similar.

This is the last time in your life where you will have one of those miserable jobs like mine. Soon enough, you will get what you want. Just enjoy the process.

Damn chris I felt like crying after that speech lol let me stop that's some good advice doe. U said study a drivers ed book? Are you serious I spent $19.95 plus tax on some b.s. Book I don't need for this bus operator test coming up in april wow so I should study a drivers ed book? How about the cdl book study that too?

Damn chris I felt like crying after that speech lol let me stop that's some good advice doe. U said study a drivers ed book? Are you serious I spent $19.95 plus tax on some b.s. Book I don't need for this bus operator test coming up in april wow so I should study a drivers ed book? How about the cdl book study that too?

I don't know about any other books aside from the arco book. I just know that the arco book was not like the test. If you study a commercial drivers manuel, make sure its just the passenger endorsement section. Also the basic air brakes and general knowledge info.

Try clicking on this link below. This is a sample cdl general knowledge test. It's questions like these that will be on the test. There were also regular driving questions as well.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/interactive/tdrive/cdl1written.htm

All in all, I would study the book you got anyway. Unless the questions are really hard, I would study it. Put it this way, if it asks this question, don't study it.- "What is the only bridge connecting to manhattan that does not have 2 vehicular levels?" - They will not have questions like that on the test. That was a question in my arco book.

Archived