Bus drivers please read, for it will help others on this site

Chris Frusci

They were suppossed to start calling off the new sanitation list in febuary. Now because of the freeze which is officially in effect, they wont start calling till next febuary. Guys I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't see them calling as many people as they did last time. When I went for my physical, I asked them.

Overtyme2: from the sounds of it you had a pretty tough time finding a job. I like the fact that you are not giving up. I'm happy to hear your taking test 8006. I posted sample questions on another forum entitled "anyone taking test 8006". There are only 5 questions. Study a drivers ed manuel. I'm actually going to try and find the site online that asks drivers ed questions and give you guys the link. Thats exactly what the first 50 questions were. I studied the arco book and it just screwed me up.

I don't like giving advice. As the saying goes "wise men don't need it, and fools won't heed it". Meaning if your smart you don't need advice and if your a fool, you won't use it anyway. Just keep plucking. I think you have a better chance getting called for bus operator than you do sanitation. With the freeze, they probably won't even get up to list number 5000. Im 770, and I think I will get called around the summer of 09 (because of the freeze).

Just like DOB2RTO had his day 2 years ago when he got called for bus operator. Just like my buddy had his day when he got called for the fire department, and just like I had my day when I got called for a bus operator, you will have your day. It's hard to be patient I know, but enjoy the process.

Thats why I'm here. I took test #5025 on April 29th, 2006. 2 months after taking the test, I was asking everyone when I would be called. Nobody knew. Then I checked my answers online and I got 11 wrong. I was so depressed. I had a miserable job and thought I would never be able to get out (I was driving a truck in manhattan and was working 12 hour days getting paid for 8 hours). I didn't hear anything for a year. Finally in April of 2007, I get a letter from the MTA. It was a yellow slip, saying my list number was 825! 825??? 11 wrong and my list number was 825?? Then I thought either everyone was just as stupid as I was, or the test was actually hard. My friend got his slip, and his list number was 3400. He got 18 wrong.

At this point, I was on a mission to find out when I would get called. I'm think by summer of 2007 I would be in. Finally I find a number to call. The infamous 180 Livingston number. I call and get the greates attitude. On top of the attitude, I find out they won't start calling till november. Again I was shot down. I just waited patiently, all of a sudden this past January I got a letter telling me to go down for my drug test.

The point is, I took the test 2 years ago. It took me 2 years to get called and my list # was 825. THIS WILL NOT BE THE CASE WITH TEST 8006. They are having a mass hiring. They need alot of drivers and they will not get them from my list. There is another mabstoa list, but they won't get what they need on that. As soon as this 20/50 goes into effect, senior drivers will start dropping like flies. I think anyone who is in their mid 40's right now will be gones in 5 years. The MTA knows that, which is why they are coming out with another bus operators exam only 2 years later. It used to be every 4 years.

Your doing the right thing overtyme. Don't be too hard on yourself. If I could give my sanitation list # to someone else, I would. Think of yourself as a college football player waiting to be drafted into the nfl. It sounds silly, but it is very similar.

This is the last time in your life where you will have one of those miserable jobs like mine. Soon enough, you will get what you want. Just enjoy the process.

thank you chris your kind woeds of advice was more helpful to me and my family more than youll ever know its just great to people trying to help each other espicially in the time were living in today where it semes everybody is just for self its been a true blessing to come across this site with so many helpful and friendly people if you dont mind me asking what do you think my chances are to get called of the mabstoa exam #2801 i took the boss exam on march 11th and my list # is 3505

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thank you chris your kind woeds of advice was more helpful to me and my family more than youll ever know its just great to people trying to help each other espicially in the time were living in today where it semes everybody is just for self its been a true blessing to come across this site with so many helpful and friendly people if you dont mind me asking what do you think my chances are to get called of the mabstoa exam #2801 i took the boss exam on march 11th and my list # is 3505

You will be called off that list before they start calling people for the 8006 test. They have to finish the 2801 list before they start calling people for the 8006 test. TAKE THE TEST ANYWAY (you never know what could happen with the 2801 list), but you should here something from 2801 before the winter. You wouldn't hear anything from test 8006 until after the new year.

Wow,a 1 year hiring freeze for the DSNY,we have a very active thread going on at city-data.com. Some guys say that there will be 2 classes this year(125 each class). Everybody says something different. If that is the case,the list should go fast since people with low test scores will already have found another job. People can only wait so long you know. It is important to take as many civil service exams as you can,hope for the best.

As a single guy with no dependents,for me job security and a pension are the most important. I am older than most civil service applicants(38)...have to settle on a career with advancement rather then going from one dead end job to another. I wasted a lot of time,the price that I am going to have to pay is for me to be working into my 70's,wherever that may be.

DOB the TOSS is Train Operator Selection Survey. They give you the test at PS 248 or Transit learning center which every you want to call it. I forgot what was on it but it wasn't pass or fail just to see what you know.

Also T/O's in A and B Div get paid the same you get I think $ 1 more if you pick Work Trains C Div. T/O is better then B/O in some ways.

DOB the TOSS is Train Operator Selection Survey. They give you the test at PS 248 or Transit learning center which every you want to call it. I forgot what was on it but it wasn't pass or fail just to see what you know.

Also T/O's in A and B Div get paid the same you get I think $ 1 more if you pick Work Trains C Div. T/O is better then B/O in some ways.

So basically t/o's have to go back to elementary school to train?...........Just kidding...lol I love that joke.

Hey DOB2RTO: Your becoming a t/o. So basically you have to go back to elementary school to train. They turned an elementary school into a training facility for t/o's. LOL I love that. They have to bring you guys back to an elementary school to train you....he he he

I love learning, no matter the school they put us kiddies in.......

ok thats whats up chris good luck im just waiting for my turn like u said #5025 is 1st then the 2801 list is after im on that 2801 list so i would have to wait

Alial: Here is some very useful information. It is good to use commas( , ) and periods ( . ) so I could get a better idea as to what your talking about.

This next bit of information is more important than the first. When you start, the class number should be something like this- TA-OA-09. That means that TA (NYCT), OA (mabstoa) are in the ninth (09) class of the year. So basically, thats just written proof that they combined the 5205 and the 2801 lists. People on 2801 will get called sooner. I didn't think they were going to call 2801 till after 5205. It turns out they are just going on a calling frenzy trying to get anyone they can.

I'm hearing the MTA needs so many bus operators. Mayor Bloomberg is trying to clean up the homeless people on the street, so he is giving them jobs as bus operators. -Thats a complete joke, but basically thats how desperate the mta is. Be patient, your almost there.

Well they havent assigned me a depot yet. They said we have to learn all the routes in both depots (castleton and yukon) because they don't know where they are putting us. Eventually I will be at yukon, If not from the beginning then definatly in time.

I though you suppose to pick your depot?

Mr. Frusci a.k.a my english teacher. I'm sorry for not putting no commas,periods, & questions marks in my paragraph do you accept my apology? (laughing)

He would have to. If he is your English teacher, your typing/writing skills, are a reflection of what he taught you. Mr. Frusci needs to go back to Teachers College. There, they teach teachers, how to teach teachers, how to teach.

Archived