New Haven Solari board being replaced Monday

Murjax

http://www.newhavenregister.com/articles/2010/05/06/news/doc4be31d9de1e28797637048.txt

They've been planning this for a long time but this coming Monday it's actually happening. The historic Solari board at New Haven is coming down. Though it's a little sad to see them do this I think the new LED board will be able to show more than the Solari was able to. I just hope they preserve the board by lending it to the Danbury Museum or something.

In Boston South Station there is now an LED board that replaced the old flip board and it makes the flipping sound. It is extremely annoying and despise it. If it's flip let it make sound, but if it is LED, let it be silent.

They probably do that on purpose so it grabs people's attention. If a silent board changes and someone's staring at their phone then they might miss their train. I agree with you though maybe they could've come up with something better than a flipping sound.

On a side note, a friend of mine was in New Haven yesterday and tells me that the Solari board is still there. Sounds like something's delaying them.

• 4 weeks later...

Ryan, it says the "construction work" began monday. The solari-removal is only part of the whole project. It is included with the working of upgrading the tunnel, speaker system, LCD boards at the stairwells in the tunnel, digital platform signs, etc. According to the CTDOT, they have yet to receive the new LED boards. I expect the solari removal won't be for a bit of time, maybe end of summer, fall-winter? Sometime later this year (in time for New Years, I'd think. )

Archived