Is Nova LFS Artic Good for (S) Bus?

FamousNYLover

I was wondering if NovaBus Artic could be good for Subway (S) Bus?

(1)(S) Bus between South Ferry & Chambers St

(2) Local/Express (S) Bus between 149th St-GC & 96th St.

(2)(S) Bus between Franklin Av & Brooklyn College

(3)(4)(S) Bus between Franklin & Utica Avs

(A)(S) Bus between Howard Beach & Rockaway Park via Broad Channel.

(D)(S) Bus between Bedford Park Blvd & 205th St.

I dont think there is any point of using the NovaBus LFSA for any type of G/O. These are designed for +SBS+ service..

Besides shuttle bus service doesn't occur like 24/7. Its when construction or maintaince is needed on a subway/el route. No point of keeping a LFSA on hold in a depot for no reason..

It would be really good for big G.O.s like when the (A) is down between Jay Street and Utica Avenue, or the (F) between Jay Street and Church Avenue because it makes it easier for loading the passengers with the third door since those two G.O.s, the shuttle bus has express service to get people to the next train.

Was actually hoping to see one out on the (F) shuttle this past weekend, but I wouldn't be surprised to see one out when G.O.s like I mentioned are going on.

]I dont think there is any point of using the NovaBus LFSA for any type of G/O. These are designed for +SBS+ service..[/b]

Besides shuttle bus service doesn't occur like 24/7. Its when construction or maintaince is needed on a subway/el route. No point of keeping a LFSA on hold in a depot for no reason..

Wrong! 126's LFS Articulateds is not SBS ready yet so they are eligible for Shuttle Bus G.Os. The LFS Articulated Buses would be PERFECT for Shuttle Bus G.Os as the 3 door setup would make up for faster loading and unloading time.

Seeing that we have more of the LFSA then I really don't see why not then. You guys are right, the three doors will help out big time. Hopefully as we get more we'll see them on bustitution duty.

Wrong! 126's LFS Articulateds is not SBS ready yet so they are eligible for Shuttle Bus G.Os. The LFS Articulated Buses would be PERFECT for Shuttle Bus G.Os as the 3 door setup would make up for faster loading and unloading time.

What differentiates the SBS ready ones from the regular ones? Or is 1200 the only SBS one (SBS paint job)?

Except for the second one, Yuki, I cast doubt if they will use LFSAs for bustitutions on those lines. They may use LFSAs on bustitutions where the situation demands it. I remember last year there was the G/O where the A was split in Brooklyn, with no trains running between Utica and Jay (our good friend, lrg, might recall this vividly). There was a local shuttle bus and the express. They ran several different bus types during that time. I was on an artic on the express shuttle and that thing was epicaly crowded, so the LFSA could be used here. But it's all on demand though and it pends on what buses are available, and what kind of buses are able to fulfil what kind of demand.

What differentiates the SBS ready ones from the regular ones? Or is 1200 the only SBS one (SBS paint job)?

Other than looks, they would have to program the TITAN LEDs for the +SBS+ programming, establish the run system and some other stuff.

Except for the second one, Yuki, I cast doubt if they will use LFSAs for bustitutions on those lines. They may use LFSAs on bustitutions where the situation demands it. I remember last year there was the G/O where the A was split in Brooklyn, with no trains running between Utica and Jay (our good friend, lrg, might recall this vividly). There was a local shuttle bus and the express. They ran several different bus types during that time. I was on an artic on the express shuttle and that thing was epicaly crowded, so the LFSA could be used here. But it's all on demand though and it pends on what buses are available, and what kind of buses are able to fulfil what kind of demand.

LOL every time they give this G.O. I always check it out.

I dont think there is any point of using the NovaBus LFSA for any type of G/O. These are designed for +SBS+ service..

I would almost be willing to bet we will definitely see some LFSA's on a subway shuttle one day.

LOL every time they give this G.O. I always check it out.

I'm pretty sure! That particular bustitution was long (length-wise), and they used Atlantic Avenue in lieu of Fulton. So in effect, the ride seemed generally longer than if it had went down Fulton.

Also, while LFSAs do work for bustitutions that would affect a vast number of people, you have to take into account of how many LFSAs there are in the system, and how many of them are reserved for SBS service.

Right now there is nothing differentiating a Nova LFSA from a D60HF since the only LFSA assigned to SBS duty is 1200. The rest can be used on any other route, so until they are wrapped it is possible that they could show up during bustitutions.

I don't think these buses would be used as Shuttle Buses because I have never seen buses with the SBS livery running on the shuttle buses.

Only wrapped buses with the SBS livery are reserved exclusively (theoretically) for SBS service only. So like what Kris said, any bus that is not wrapped could be used for bustitutions. An unmarked bus would just mean any regular bus, and that's what they take for bustitutions. So it's really based on what the bustitution would look like, before deciding to call into duty what types of buses.

Only wrapped buses with the SBS livery are reserved exclusively (theoretically) for SBS service only. So like what Kris said, any bus that is not wrapped could be used for bustitutions. An unmarked bus would just mean any regular bus, and that's what they take for bustitutions. So it's really based on what the bustitution would look like, before deciding to call into duty what types of buses.

Yea that's what I meant.

Don't forget though, only one of them is wrapped. More will be wrapped (in time for the M15 SBS implementation) later on, but currently all except one of them are currently eligible to run such services.

To add on to this,

if there is a shuttle bus G/O, an LFSA might appear, all except 1200

People in the other boros don't DESERVE the LFS Artic on GO's.Let em get regular NF Artics.The last thing thats needed is for brand new buses to look like they've been through World War3 and they havn't even been in service for a month yet.(1)(A)(C)

People in the other boros don't DESERVE the LFS Artic on GO's.Let em get regular NF Artics.The last thing thats needed is for brand new buses to look like they've been through World War3 and they havn't even been in service for a month yet.(1)(A)(C)

That's a load of BS. A bus is a bus. If bustitution calls for the LFSA to be used then let it be used.

Besides, parts of Manhattan aren't so great either, just thought I'd throw that in there.

That's a load of BS. A bus is a bus. If bustitution calls for the LFSA to be used then let it be used.

Besides, parts of Manhattan aren't so great either, just thought I'd throw that in there.

I agree. There are parts of every borough where maintainence is not so great.

Maintenance may be one issue, but to say that one district does not deserve the bus is a flawed assertion. There are serious GOs wherein sections of the train line are cut off, therefore calling for bustitutions. Thus you are basically inletting trainloads of people onto buses. Sometimes, as testified by some people, the RTSes, the O5s, O7OGs, O7NGs and even New Flyers can't do the trick. I'm not saying that the LFSA is the solution to crowding, but the third door will make life easier for people.

Also, bustitution does not mean LONG TIME SERVICE. Here's the thing, a GO is planned, and buses from the nearest depot relative to the area of service outage are called to duty pending on capacity. On light GOs, smaller buses could be used. However, on serious GOs, like the one that's going to happen on the (2) between 149th and 180th, there will be a lot of people, and there will be a lot of buses. The depots have to send in a certain number of buses such that it would meet the needs of the GO and would not conflict with regular weekend service. If the demand requires for larger buses, LFSAs may be called in to do the work. They may be sent from other boroughs (currently Bronx and Manhattan has them) if the demand is needed. But again, this is only temporary service. And a stint over a weekend would not mean the bus would be all battered up.

Don't forget, the LFSAs are already at Gun Hill. That fact can't be changed.

Archived