Despite a union lawsuit, MTA transit execs derail 250 clerks to fill $800M budget

primomjr78

The thing is that the layoffs are all based on seniority . They are not performance based .

they should be performanced based.........imo, these were going to be guys who would carry you for the next 20 years; now, you u still have guys with bad sick records,customer complaints, etc........

they should be performanced based.........imo, these were going to be guys who would carry you for the next 20 years; now, you u still have guys with bad sick records,customer complaints, etc........

Yeah, but civil service and seniority are directly intertwined; you can't have one without the other. True, you've got some stinkers staying on while some model employees are getting shown the door, but that's one of the very few drawbacks of civil service.

Yeah, but civil service and seniority are directly intertwined; you can't have one without the other. True, you've got some stinkers staying on while some model employees are getting shown the door, but that's one of the very few drawbacks of civil service.

Yeah exactly we have a S/A who's a chronic thief. In the summer of 2008, he stole over $10,000 in revenue from another S/A. He Stole 2 of her revenue bags. When the C/A's came to pick up the money they discovered the bags were missing. But due to the TA's rule of proper relief procedures and such. They held him and her both accountable for the money,and since he never confessed to crime he never got fired. And recently he managed to steal another $700 in quarters and dollar coins from some one else. He has numerous customer complaints. But!!! he will not be laid off because he has 6 years on the job!!!. They have been trying to set him up or catch him in the act but he's been lucky so far.

Will

as you said previously they are going to cut 300 S/A's next year so this thief will be part of those cuts next year.

True, maybe that also depends on if he has prior civil service with another city agency as well. And that also gives him time to steal from others within that time frame. Unfortunately he is not the only kleptomaniac working as a S/A. Back in the days old timers tell me the stealing was much worse since everything was not computerized, and there was so much more work you had to do as a Rail Road Clerk as oppose to a S/A. You had to deal with all sorts of loose coins, tokens,token 10 paks, pre encoded metrocards, transit checks and in some cases an assistant R/R/C in the booth with you. So it was very easy to steal with all of that going on in the booth.

If your talking to me disapline issue and lay offs are 2 diffrent things. I am sure they are pushing termination alot when S/A get into trouble.

Exactly Dave but down here in RTO termination is now the FIRST thing they say @ Labor Relations for any major infraction.

These screw ups are going to be in for a shock and soon...

They are definitely backwards when it comes to layoffs it should have been in this order Traffic Checkers,Cleaners,Bus Maintainers helper/Cleaner,Administration,Management I don't know how you layoff front line employees who are the eyes and ears of the system just shows where their priorities are

They are definitely backwards when it comes to layoffs it should have been in this order Traffic Checkers,Cleaners,Bus Maintainers helper/Cleaner,Administration,Management I don't know how you layoff front line employees who are the eyes and ears of the system just shows where their priorities are

Well I wouldn't wish anyone got laid off, but I do understand your logic. But that makes sense. And as you and I know if it makes sense the MTA didn't come up with it. If it doesn't make sense then it's all their idea %100.

Well I wouldn't wish anyone got laid off, but I do understand your logic. But that makes sense. And as you and I know if it makes sense the MTA didn't come up with it. If it doesn't make sense then it's all their idea %100.
Will I definitely hope you get to keep your job and your colleagues get recalled they being management think by installing those DEATH trap HEET turnstyles are cost effective which it is not and would deter farebeaters and doing it on the backs of personnel just don't jive with me i'd rather have someone in the train station keeping a watchful eye to make sure everything is ok this plan here is a criminals dream come true further more it has already been revealed that most of the cameras in the system don't work

If your talking to me disapline issue and lay offs are 2 diffrent things. I am sure they are pushing termination alot when S/A get into trouble.

Oh you bet it will happen in all divisions they are going to be pushing termination for anyone who gets in trouble.

• 1 month later...

Zman state it best, A UNION is only as good as the MEMBERS who belong to it. Show your strength to MTA and our politicians by Everyone calling them today! 30,000 strong, Everyone are accountable for their actions or inaction for themselves and their union. If no more raises, no more pension and more lose of jobs makes you upset, then be very upset and call or write today before its too late.

David Paterson: 212-681-4580

Senator John Sampson: 718-649-7653

Assembly Sheldon Siver: 212-312-1420

Archived