The Problem At Myrtle-Bway

Fresh Pond

If you wasn't aware of it, a Manhattan-bound (J) train was crossing the Myrtle Av junction and went BIE. That in turn blocked all (J) trains behind it, and all (M2) trains from entering and leaving Myrtle-Bway. From what I heard on the radio, it cleared and the next car went BIE and was stalled even longer. All (M2) trains were held in the nearest station. I was stuck at Metropolitan Av (my 23:35 train didn't move until 0:28 smh).

The question is, do you think anything can be done about that junction? If you don't know about it, the (M2) crosses in front of the (J) at track level. I had the idea of some sort of flying junction. What do you think?

**FYI, there is to talk of the (M)/(V) or R32 here so take that somewhere else**

They could do the following:

s-bound (M2) trains run normal

n-bound (M2) trains diverge after Flushing Av, then run to and stop at Myrtle upper, then continue via regular route.

However, the (NYCT) has no cash, so that's not happening.

They could do the following:

s-bound (M2) trains run normal

n-bound (M2) trains diverge after Flushing Av, then run to and stop at Myrtle upper, then continue via regular route.

However, the (NYCT) has no cash, so that's not happening.

It didn't happen in the years between then and now either.

I was thinking that they can move the station a block back towards Flushing (like around Stockholm St) and use the upper level in some sort of flying junction. Before anybody says anything, that wasn't the original location of Myrtle Av. The original station was actually on Stuyvesant Av but they moved it back to build that junction with the (M2).

The real issue is that the (M2) has to take on a right of way between Troutman and Ditmars Streets onto the Myrtle Line, and this goes right back to almost a century ago. Thus, it is almost forced to take on a level junction because of the placements of the station and the branch off. So basically, this set up is totally archaic. With money, I would seriously rebuild that area.

My recommendation is, before Myrtle Avenue, have the Myrtle Avenue line drop down on Lewis Avenue from Broadway. This portion of Broadway could allow for potential widening of the el structure, because you have the projects on that side. The buildings are placed away from Broadway and Lewis, such to have this move feasible. A flying junction would allow tracks to curve above the main tracks and onto Lewis Avenue. From Lewis, it would turn right onto Myrtle. There is an existing section of el structure without trackbeds at this point, IINM. From there, trains can use the upper level and then continue. A junction can be built immediately east of Flushing Ave.

There are potential problems to this set up as people (during PM rush, say) between Hewes-Flushing bound for Jamaica have to take a Myrtle train that would stop on the upper level of the next station, and that they are forced to go downstairs to the main line. If, however, my planned set up streamlines service, some (J) trips can run local and still continue on to Jamaica during rush hours.

Unless the current El structure falls down or is destroyed by NYCHA forces, there's little point in all this talk of flying junctions, walking junctions, swimming junctions and what-have-you.

It's fine the way it is.

To add: Myrtle Avenue Upper would have to have new trackways, tracks and signals installed and be strengthened. The station held nothing heavier than a Q Car until it closed on October 4, 1969.

Not to mention, the station would likely need a little cleaning and TLC after forty years.

The Upper Level of the Myrtle Ave station is completely unusable...its just trackways with a storage house taking up the entire platform, thats it. Its connection to the rest of the line was severed. It would have to take a complete rebuild to make it usable by trains again...which is not worth the money .

To add: Myrtle Avenue Upper would have to have new trackways, tracks and signals installed and be strengthened. The station held nothing heavier than a Q Car until it closed on October 4, 1969.

Not to mention, the station would likely need a little cleaning and TLC after forty years.

The Upper Level of the Myrtle Ave station is completely unusable...its just trackways with a storage house taking up the entire platform, thats it. Its connection to the rest of the line was severed. It would have to take a complete rebuild to make it usable by trains again...which is not worth the money .

Hey I'm just placing in an idea.

If they could they should use 111th St - Mets - Willets Point (7)<7> area track config as a model, or use Queensboro Plaza (7)(N)(W) as a model, these are two of the most efficient configs, but I can see service disruptions and the (J)(M)(Z) probably terminating at Marcy Ave. and another (J)(Z) connection service terminating at Broadway Junction. As well as plenty of Shuttle Busses running for about 2-3 years. A tough job but more faster service, your choice...

Queensboro Plaza-like stuff will look like an immense nightmare.

Myrtle Avenue ranked 168 out of 422, according 2009 figures. If every station (complexes such as Grand Central-42nd Street being three stations, Bryant Park being two, etc.) had just one S/A laid off, Myrtle Avenue-Broadway would be one of the last ones to get hit.

Not to disrespect the regular station patrons, but... Who cares?

The (MTA) needs to worry about fixing their finances and establish their own priorities before they try to fix minor and infrequent issues that don't really impact everyone at costs that dwarf the largest Powerball jackpots.

I say just make the (M2) a permanent Myrtle Ave line and bring back the upper level. Then have the (J) run local at all times and the (Z) a fully express route at rush, even skipping stops between Junction and Myrtle. And have the (Z) start at Broadway Junction, eliminating skip-stop.

I say just make the (M2) a permanent Myrtle Ave line and bring back the upper level. Then have the (J) run local at all times and the (Z) a fully express route at rush, even skipping stops between Junction and Myrtle. And have the (Z) start at Broadway Junction, eliminating skip-stop.

If that were to happen, you would want the (Z) to start at Jamaica Center and the (J) to start at B'way Junction. Expresses usually start farther out.

If that were to happen, you would want the (Z) to start at Jamaica Center and the (J) to start at B'way Junction. Expresses usually start farther out.

No, the (J) running local 24/7 would have to start/end at Jamaica Center; The (Z) running express full rush hours could start/end at "Broadway Junction" if not at Jamaica Center.

No, the (J) running local 24/7 would have to start/end at Jamaica Center; The (Z) running express full rush hours could start/end at "Broadway Junction" if not at Jamaica Center.

Can't the (J) run to JAM when the (Z) is not running and go to B'way Junction when the (Z) is running? That'd work.

Archived