Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

Bye bye orange stripe / LIB cut cost, blue stripe on all buses

w8Hou

Reasoning that it costs less to paint a bus one color than two, Long Island Bus maintenance teams will no longer paint the sides of buses with the blue stripe that is usually set on a white background. The blue stripe will remain, but instead will be applied in the form of a large vinyl decal.

Joe Smith, chief of the MTA’s bus operations, said buses in New York City will get the same treatment. In total, the change is expected to save the MTA some $375,000 a year, according to LI Bus spokesman Jerry Mikorenda.

The MTA paints about 1,000 buses in its fleet a year and buys about another 500 buses each year that also get painted.

In addition to saving money, Smith said using the vinyl strip is more environmentally friendly than paint.

“From what I hear, you can’t tell the difference that much,” Mikorenda said.

Last year, Long Island Bus underwent another significant change involving paint, as the agency did away with its decades-old orange, white and blue color scheme in favor of a simpler white and blue scheme on all its new buses. Smith said the change not only saved money, but brought Long Island Bus in line with the color scheme used for years by other MTA buses.

Source: http://www.newsday.com/blogs/long-island/long-island-now-1.1732330/li-bus-changes-its-stripes-1.1908803

Oh boy, a whole 400,000 dollars. That will really save the (MTA) from collapsing. I bet if they cut the job of the official spokesman and the guy they interviewed, it would save even more money. And they probably spent even more money than they are saving by creating a team to look into the possibility of buying decals instead of paint.

IMO to me not a big deal. The bus could have any color it wants, even it's looks like a Mister Softee multi color ice cream truck.:):(

As long as the bus is fairly clean(this is the NYC metro area I am not expecting a spotless clean one :()and gets me to point a-point b safely in a timely matter that all that counts.

I don't know why they're even bothering.Didn't we already establish that O5CNG's at LIB are owned by Nassau County?Those are not MTA buses so they cannot be touched.Unless something's changed and I havn't heard about it.(1)(A)(C)

Why cant it just be Orange/Blue stripe vinyl decal Instead??

Long Island Bus doesn't Need the full Blue stripe the buses are orange and blue for a reason and they should stay that way!!:mad:

Those Orion V CNG buses belong to Nassau County..I Dont know why they feel like this is a need because Long Island bus only runs in primarily in Nassau, eastern Queens and Western Suffolk its not like it runs in Manhattan that everyone will see them, its called MTA Regional Bus for a reason!!

Saving money they think if the MTA Stop buying out a huge # order of Buses all the time and save the ones that can go more than 12 yrs they probably wouldn't be in the situation they are in!

The next step needs to be complete consolidation of buses, under one name, MTA Bus.

This is definately a step in the right direction, I've wanted to see that orange stripe gone for so long...:tup:

Why cant it just be Orange/Blue stripe vinyl decal Instead??

Long Island Bus doesn't Need the full Blue stripe the buses are orange and blue for a reason and they should stay that way!!:mad:

Those Orion V CNG buses belong to Nassau County..I Dont know why they feel like this is a need because Long Island bus only runs in primarily in Nassau, eastern Queens and Western Suffolk its not like it runs in Manhattan that everyone will see them, its called MTA Regional Bus for a reason!!

Saving money they think if the MTA Stop buying out a huge # order of Buses all the time and save the ones that can go more than 12 yrs they probably wouldn't be in the situation they are in!

If you think about it, it seems as if MTA already keeps their buses longer than the average transit agency. When was the last time MTA retired a bus model at 12 years of service? They just retired 20 year old RTS's not too long ago.

I knew years ago they would get rid of the orange if MTA ever completely took over LIB. Blue and white is cheap. Decals are even cheaper.

The next step needs to be complete consolidation of buses, under one name, MTA Bus.

This is definately a step in the right direction, I've wanted to see that orange stripe gone for so long...:tup:

I like the 3 separate brands. I don't ever want to see MTAB replace NYCB or LIB! If any thing change MTAB to NYCB, and LIB to MTAB or leave it like it is.

The (mostly federal) capital money that's allocated for bus purchases CANNOT be used for any other purpose. But you already knew that...

Archived