Ok hows this? NO trains will run if theres Track work.

RTOMan

I'd rather have my train running with delays and service changes than not running at all because one portion of the track is being worked on. How hard is it to check the service changes and read the signs. I can say the MTA at least does a good job of keeping things up to date on their own website.

People are too ignorant and lazy these days.

People deserve this for b*tching around.

IAWTP

I'd rather have my train running with delays and service changes than not running at all because one portion of the track is being worked on. How hard is it to check the service changes and read the signs. I can say the MTA at least does a good job of keeping things up to date on their own website.
Here`s the thing.Regular straphaners dont go on the (MTA) website.Only us railfanners and foamers.We are always one step ahead of straphangers.:tup:

From Walder's comments, it looks like they would be focusing this idea on areas with multiple, separate subway lines, like in Midtown or Downtown. Stranding riders in places with no other subways would be a poor idea, becuase the amount of shuttle buses needed to make up for all of the missing trains would put an enormous strain on the roads, especially on a weekday. If they only put out a few shuttle buses, people will be waiting in ridiculoudly long lines, all hell will break loose, and this plan would get shut down in no time.

People are always going to moan. I personally think this is a better idea: they'll get the work done in less time.

Totally agreed. They probably 'waste time' to put in temorary tracks, they may as well just finish the work totally and get things done sooner.

So I'm in favor of this idea.

Close off the roads above to car traffic and put bus shuttles running in two directions to ease the frustration.

Even lines with an express track. The Bronx may get hit hard by this since the (2)(5)(6) have on going construction projects. You may see no Service in the Bronx on any or all of those lines. Also he didn't say nothing about shuttle busses he just saying riders have to use alt bus or subway services in the area. This plan I don't believe will work exept on wkends. During the week this is going to be hell. The work won't get done any faster since the contractors are going to milk it so they get more money

Here`s the thing.Regular straphaners dont go on the (MTA) website.Only us railfanners and foamers.We are always one step ahead of straphangers.:tup:

Ever stop to think that Mr. or Mrs., working a minimum wage job to support their family, may not have internet access ? Maybe they work midnights. With the service cuts taking place soon they may be screwed royally? The devil will be in the implementation of this plan if it comes to pass.

The expense of doing this will be so high, lets just say that you have 6 trains a hour for the day. T/O makes $31 a hour and C/R makes $28 a hour for a total of $59 an hour per crew. Six crews a hour is $354 @ 24 hours = $8496 for the day just for workers. Now if you have B/O's out there your going to need a average of 20 buses a hour. B/O salary per out is $28 dollars a hour X 20 buses = $560 X that by 24 hours = $13440 per day just for workers. Now add in lost fares cause people will take the free ride over paying for a local bus, the use of more fuel and wear on buses. Plus this will be Over time for the B/O's cause they have there normal runs to do and the MTA will still have to pay the T/O's due to the contract.

I really like this idea. Shut it down for a week and replace service with buses, have the contractors sign an incentive agreement which pays them extra to get it done by the deadline, and penalizes them if they are late, and GET IT DONE AND OVER WITH. In the long run it would be better, rather than to have these interminable GO's disrupting service each and every weekend for, sometimes, months.

All of these weekend GO's with local service, or sometimes no service, which seem like they never end, is like trying to pull off an old Band-Aid slowly. Just rip the damn thing off, take the initial pain hit, and that's all.

The expense of doing this will be so high, lets just say that you have 6 trains a hour for the day. T/O makes $31 a hour and C/R makes $28 a hour for a total of $59 an hour per crew. Six crews a hour is $354 @ 24 hours = $8496 for the day just for workers. Now if you have B/O's out there your going to need a average of 20 buses a hour. B/O salary per out is $28 dollars a hour X 20 buses = $560 X that by 24 hours = $13440 per day just for workers. Now add in lost fares cause people will take the free ride over paying for a local bus, the use of more fuel and wear on buses. Plus this will be Over time for the B/O's cause they have there normal runs to do and the MTA will still have to pay the T/O's due to the contract.

This isn't like the old days where if your picked job is cancelled due to a GO the t/o's and c/r's sat around all day doing nothing.

They are now reassigned, with no choice of which line they work. At least you b/o's will still work out of your assigned depot, but us RTO people could have to travel anywhere and work a line we haven't worked for YEARS.

This isn't like the old days where if your picked job is cancelled due to a GO the t/o's and c/r's sat around all day doing nothing.

They are now reassigned, with no choice of which line they work. At least you b/o's will still work out of your assigned depot, but us RTO people could have to travel anywhere and work a line we haven't worked for YEARS.

Realistically speaking, I don't see a whole line being shut down like the (F) (in 99% of the cases), but I do see sections of the line being shut down from, say, 179 to n/o Van Wyck Blvd, or Queensbridge to 57/6, or something like that. So crews would still be working the same line, but their reporting locations could be switched around.

Also, something like this could be a job saver. You would need more clerks to help passengers in affected locations, plus you would definitely need more Bus Operators to man the shuttle buses, many of which could even be done on straight time.

Realistically speaking, I don't see a whole line being shut down like the (F) (in 99% of the cases), but I do see sections of the line being shut down from, say, 179 to n/o Van Wyck Blvd, or Queensbridge to 57/6, or something like that. So crews would still be working the same line, but their reporting locations could be switched around.

Also, something like this could be a job saver. You would need more clerks to help passengers in affected locations, plus you would definitely need more Bus Operators to man the shuttle buses, many of which could even be done on straight time.

But money would be lost in the form of free shuttle buses.

Guest lance25

While I haven't read this entire thread, I feel that this will be potentially disastrous for the system. It's fine and dandy if for example the (J) is shut down from Crescent to Parsons/Archer or if the (F) is suspended from Jay to Church, but it's another thing entirely if sections of the Lex or Queens Blvd are completely shuttered. There aren't enough shuttle buses in the world that can carry the amount of passengers on Lexington Ave, even if it was from say 59 St to Union Sq.

Archived