12-9 Right Now 36th Ave 21:24 Nancy 2 People Under

You're missing my point. Of course platform doors are better than the 10 MPH thing but you don't understand how long it would take to put it into almost 500 stations with multiple platforms. And what happens on the structure in the freezing cols, ice and snow? The freeze and they don't work. You have to cover all elevated stations and heat them like Air Train. Do you have any idea of the cost and time frame?

Bottom line: the t/o's have to deal with it. People within NYCT will give us a lot of sympathy but that's about it. If a t/o can't deal with a 12-9, the attitude is let's get somebody else who can. Managements current assistance is window dressing and sympathy. Just go thru the process, very clinical. The waiting list is long for someone who can cope. Look at all the people who took the test last year!

It would work Interior Stations only how many of them do we have Exterior stations it wouldn't work there are no ceilings

Chill with the 10mph rule. That would be frustratingly slow. It's equal to doing around 70mph on the LIRR Penn to Jam stretch then having to s-l-o-w-l-y make your way into Jamaica Station around 10mph. Ugh! :tdown:

While it is excruciating slow, it would help to deter incidents. Remember, he did mention it was fantasy. BfM knows what he is talking about.

There is nothing for me to chill about. You are taking the 10 MPH thing out of context by completely ignoring the fact that I called it "My impractical dream".

Jesus, [heard on 1010wins] it was a woman going down to the tracks to get a coat she dropped. I'm sorry she's in critical condition and the guy that tried to save that idiot died by falling to the road below, but she doesn't deserve any sympathies for putting her life and another person's for a damn coat.

Jesus, [heard on 1010wins] it was a woman going down to the tracks to get a coat she dropped. I'm sorry she's in critical condition and the guy that tried to save that idiot died by falling to the road below, but she doesn't deserve any sympathies for putting her life and another person's for a damn coat.

I have ZERO sympathy for her for her pain and loss of her friend.

My sympathy is with the crew of the train, for the headaches they have in dealing with NYPD and NYCT suits in what they have to go thru and for all the other crews on the line who were trying to finish for their night in Astoria but instead got their butts turned back at QBP and got stuck making an extra trip. I feel for the dispatchers who were pulling their hair out for that stupidity.

And we are supposed to refer to them as CUSTOMERS? We don't need them!

You're missing my point. Of course platform doors are better than the 10 MPH thing but you don't understand how long it would take to put it into almost 500 stations with multiple platforms. And what happens on the structure in the freezing cols, ice and snow? The freeze and they don't work. You have to cover all elevated stations and heat them like Air Train. Do you have any idea of the cost and time frame?

I understand your point, and you're right that its pretty much impractical for above ground/elevated stations. And as much as I hate the hypothetical scenario (let alone the even most remote possibility) of spending money for platform doors, if it ever gets to that point (which I hope it doesnt) then thats the possibility that has to be considered.

Bottom line: the t/o's have to deal with it. People within NYCT will give us a lot of sympathy but that's about it. If a t/o can't deal with a 12-9, the attitude is let's get somebody else who can. Managements current assistance is window dressing and sympathy. Just go thru the process, very clinical. The waiting list is long for someone who can cope. Look at all the people who took the test last year!

That's just sad. And I honestly do feel sorry for the (MTA) employees who have to deal with that. It is absolutely not fair to them to have to deal with such trauma when they're just trying to feed and provide for their families.

It's also sad that t/o's and c/r's have to refer to the people who don't know that life > material property as their customers.

If he really wanted to try and save her life he would have run to the end of the platform, grabbed a light or pulled out his cell phone and started waving it across the track to flag the T/O. But you do not, particularly if you've been drinking, jump down 4 feet to the slippery roadbed in front of a train and think that you're going to "help someone else back up." Sorry that's just plain dumb.

I don't know if they knew each other or not, but either way you just don't do that.

omg, 12-9 everywhere now. whats next? Let Me Guess:

"Incident:

12-9 @ Times Sq (N)(Q)(R)(W) Platform.

Reason:

They saw Britney Spears at the Downtown Platform and people decided to cross tracks as the Uptown train was flying into the station."

like, come on. r u serious? if it was over a jacket, then thats insane. this is just getting out of hand.

im sorry if i sound messed up, but this is too much man.

However, i am sorry for them, and im sending my condolences out to their families, friends and close ones. I'm so sorry for your lost.

The train will have a better chance to stop before the person is struck, unless the person descends to the track at the last second, correct?

That would slow down service if it was 10 MPH if it was like 15-20 Mph and sounding horn, it would make it safer and not slow down service as much

Amen! If anything we need computer controled people than trains :(

Seriously, do these people not read about recent events like Lex-77th? Un-f'ing believable... people putting their own lives on the line for a coat...

They probably read it and think it won't happen to them.

Archived