Subway Fails

CenSin

Does anyone have any fail experiences they want to share? I've accumulated a lot of experiences, but shared very few of them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is one I actually recorded from beginning to end:

The train I got on was an express Coney Island-bound (F). I had gotten off the local Kings Highway-bound (F)15 minutes ago, so this train was very late! The fail came when the (F)stalled south of Avenue N (for 2 minutes and 40 seconds) to wait for the (F) (the one I got off of) to leave for Manhattan from Kings Highway.

Here are the paths the trains took:

2a0cgig.png

Notice their paths do not even intersect!

Running time from 18 Avenue to Kings Highway

This express train: 7 minutes and 30 seconds

Local trains (for comparison): 6 minutes and 30 seconds (normally)

By my guesstimate, this train became late by 6 to 12 minutes, and 3 to 4 minutes of that was because it ran express (or because the signal logic failed to take into account that the movement was perfectly safe).

Circa June in 2004. Transferring from the (6), I got on a (4) at Union Square to go to school. Everything ran normal until Astor place when the train stopped and stood there. We waited about ten to fifteen minutes to creep our way to Bleecker Street, and another twenty to get to Canal where we stopped. Throughout all of this, (6) service is easing along (In fact, the (6) I was originally on was making its way uptown by the time we got to Spring Street).

It wasn't until Worth Street when (6) service started to slow down. Then we heard on the radio that there's a broken rail at Fulton Street. The train I was on switched to the local tracks and we were told that there's no service south of Brooklyn Bridge.

Normal Commute from 28th Street to Wall Street: Twenty Minutes including wait time.

Commute that day to Brooklyn Bridge: Forty five minutes including the walk from Brooklyn Bridge to my high school.

Circa June in 2004. Transferring from the (6), I got on a (4) at Union Square to go to school. Everything ran normal until Astor place when the train stopped and stood there. We waited about ten to fifteen minutes to creep our way to Bleecker Street, and another twenty to get to Canal where we stopped. Throughout all of this, (6) service is easing along (In fact, the (6) I was originally on was making its way uptown by the time we got to Spring Street).

It wasn't until Worth Street when (6) service started to slow down. Then we heard on the radio that there's a broken rail at Fulton Street. The train I was on switched to the local tracks and we were told that there's no service south of Brooklyn Bridge.

Normal Commute from 28th Street to Wall Street: Twenty Minutes including wait time.

Commute that day to Brooklyn Bridge: Forty five minutes including the walk from Brooklyn Bridge to my high school.

Lesson learned ( I hope ). Never get off a train going to your destination thinking that the express will get you there faster. I was told years ago that "express", in the subways, means fewer stops. There's nothing that says it will get you from point A to point B faster than the local. That's just an assumption that people make but it's not true 100% of the time.

Lesson learned ( I hope ). Never get off a train going to your destination thinking that the express will get you there faster. I was told years ago that "express", in the subways, means fewer stops. There's nothing that says it will get you from point A to point B faster than the local. That's just an assumption that people make but it's not true 100% of the time.

Technically that's not the reason I got off the (6) (But the whole Express thing did have its charm at the time) but the lesson was learned.

Fail on my part:

I was playing games on my phone on the (4) en route to Bedford. The announcements were all messed up, as they were played AFTER the thing stops at the station. For example, it would leave Kingsbridge and then it would start playing: "This is Kingsbridge Rd". Confused the hell out of me. I completely disregarded the Kingsbridge message. So when I heard "this is Bedford Park", I, by instict got up, and saw the demographics change in the car. I'm like "what the hell happened to the Bronx Science kids?" And suddenly I saw the Tracy Towers, the yard and the school on my left and I'm like "Oh scheisse!!!". Not a fun experience.

lol … good ones so far, but I was thinking along another track (e.g., fails caused by inept supervision, some absurd situation, or like the one MTR Admiralty posted :)).

LOL! I looked so out of place when I got off at Moshulu. I was literally scared sh*tless. Don't wanna sound racist or play the race car, but in order to show you a sense of what I was going thru, I was the only lighter skinned person there.

Here's a common mistake people make that I see a lot. People hop on the (2) or (5) train along the Nostrand Avenue Line and they think it's a (2) or (5) based on the card map the R142 has, however in fact they forget to see that the map is inaccurate because that "(2)" is indeed a (5) and vice-versa. I had one woman who thought she was going to Chambers street on the (2) train (R142 had the (2)'s map) but was signed as a (5) and ended up at 125th Street. Yikes!

I was at B'way Laff Wednesday and the FIND read next stop is York Street. Initially I was confused. However I came to realisation it was a bug:

-battery runs usually mean that next stop is Delancey followed by Jay. How could the next stop be York Street

-plus, according to a recent report conducted by transit, they discouraged battery runs on the (F) during rush hours

So all the passengers got confused and were asking each other if the train was going to York. People ACTUALLY got off the train because they were so confused!

And yes, the train was on a regular routing, no battery.

Here's another one on the (F) from a few months ago:

1. (F) is late, so at Church Avenue, the conductor announced that the (F) would be running express from 18 Avenue to Kings Highway. The announcement was pretty lengthly.
  2. At Ditmas Avenue the conductor made the announcement again…
  3. …and again at 18 Avenue.

Net result: just as late because of 3 lengthly announcements and passengers from Avenue I to Avenue P were inconvenienced.

One has to wonder if the purpose of running the late train express was to get it to the terminal closer to the scheduled time or to recuperate the time taken to make the announcements about running express.

:confused:

In my case, it would have to be the time when a (5) going down the 7th Ave. local route (during a G.O.) got stuck, half of it in Franklin St. station, and the other half in the tunnel south of the station, because of a worker accidentally shutting off power to the tracks at Chambers Street (this was during the Chambers Street rehabilitation project). I was in the first half of the train. Train stopped, ALL the lights went off (which freaked me out), and everyone had to walk back through the train to get out at the station. A large group of passengers had gathered around the conductor's position, standing and waiting, talking with the conductor, when all of a sudden (after some time), the lights in the train went back on. Everyone started clapping/applauding, and we all got back on the train (and lived happily ever after). For some reason, it made me think of the NYC subway of the 1970s.

In a huge rainstorm months ago, I took the (A) train via the (F) line and I took a nap. 20 - 30 Mins later, I was at 23 St Ely Av and I was like WTF... so i ask the conductor why is the (A) here and he says some problems in Manhattan, and I ask where is this train going he says

"To Forest Hills 71 Av making local stops" WTF???

I might be a bit late to post this, but I had to start working immediately after getting to work.

The (N) I took to Manhattan ran express via the West End local track today making stops at Bay 50 Street, Bay Parkway, 62 Street, and 9 Avenue. At 62 Street, the speakers in the station announced a problem at 59 Street (stalled train) and that all Coney Island-bound trains would be running express via West End. They advised passengers heading to Coney Island and 62 Street to remain on the (N) train but said nothing about passengers wishing to reach other stations. At Fort Hamilton Parkway, there was a Coney Island-bound (D) and (N) on the local and express tracks respectively (possibly explaining why my train skipped stations on the local track). The trains were stalled and the train operators were chattign with each other through the side windows. At 9 Avenue, there was another (D) and (N). From 62 Street to 36 Street, the (N)crawled along since the (D) directly ahead was making all stops. To make it worse, there were construction workers along the entire West End line!

A few weeks ago on the (R), we were at City Hall, and the next stop was Rector Street. It was an R160. The C/R said this once: "The train will not stop at Cortlandt Street, Rector will be the next stop." The announcement played over and over again for about 5 times. Then, he just closed the doors and it kept on playing till we got to Rector.

Guest MTA Bus

One Day, I was on my way to school. I got on the train @ Woodhaven Blvd ((G), (R), (V)) and was taking it to Rossevelt Av for the (7). Between Elmhurst Av & Roosevelt Av, the train stopped. i thought it was because of a red signal or train traffic or something else. About 10 minutes later, The conductor said: "Ladies and gentlemen, due to a train to mechanical problems at roosevelt av on the local track, all manhattan-bound (R) & (V) trains are running express between Forest Hills- 71 Av & Jackson Hts- Roosevelt Av. Everybody had to walk to the first car of the train. Only the first door of the first car was open. I did found out that you can only open a certain amount of doors on the R46. Like Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons Says: " Worst Commute ever !!!!"

Archived