R-46 on the C

QDover

Everyone knows that our beloved R-32s are being retired and so are the R-44s. I just was wondering on how they are going to use the R-46 on the (C) because that is definitely going to happen. Will they do a 6 car train due to the fact that the R-46 is a 75 ft car, longer than the 32, or will they just make the (C) a full 8 car train?

Well the (C) wont go completely R-46, theres just a great chance of seeing a 46 on the (C).

No there is not, no R32s are being retired for the next 5 or so years. R46 on the (C) is something to worry about then not now.

Well the (C) wont go completely R-46, theres just a great chance of seeing a 46 on the (C).

No I mean like, I did not hear of anything as of late that suggests that:

-the R32s are retiring alongside the R44s

-that the R46s will be used on the (C)

While it is fact that PITK is receiving more and more R46s, these R46s are meant to boot out the R44s. The R32s at 207 are primarily used for the (C). They will not be replaced for some time. Only the (A) will use the R46s out at PITK (alongside the Shuttle)

Everyone knows that our beloved R-32s are being retired and so are the R-44s. I just was wondering on how they are going to use the R-46 on the (C) because that is definitely going to happen. Will they do a 6 car train due to the fact that the R-46 is a 75 ft car, longer than the 32, or will they just make the (C) a full 8 car train?

I don't know where you are getting your information from. The R32's are not "going".. They were supposed to "go" but it was later decided to retire the R44's instead. Therefore the R32's are staying otherwise there would not be enough cars for service. Sure maybe a handful of "poor performers" may "go" along the way till the next group of cars are ordered/received in the future, but for the immediate future the R32's are staying with the R44's being a memory by fall.

Therefore, do not expect to see R46's on the C for several years, if ever. Who knows, maybe in 7 years or whenever the R32's and R46's are replaced by R179's or whatever and R68's/R68A's will be on the C! We'll find out then.

No I mean like, I did not hear of anything as of late that suggests that:

-the R32s are retiring alongside the R44s

-that the R46s will be used on the (C)

While it is fact that PITK is receiving more and more R46s, these R46s are meant to boot out the R44s. The R32s at 207 are primarily used for the (C). They will not be replaced for some time. Only the (A) will use the R46s out at PITK (alongside the Shuttle)

well I must be mistaken, but what I wanted to know was how are they going to use the R-46 on the (C), how many cars ?

well I must be mistaken, but what I wanted to know was how are they going to use the R-46 on the (C), how many cars ?

While there are AA pairs that could make 6 car trains, there was a plan that was rumoured to happen if the R44 retirement didn't happen that would allow (C) trains to be full length. Alas, neither the assignments of the R46s to the (C) or the full lengthing happened.

Again don't expect R46's to be used on the C. Sorry to burst your bubble!

They are needed on the A (virtually 100% coverage by fall) and on the Jamaica Yard based lines as there are not enough R160's out there to completely free them for the A/C.

R46's are 4 car units, so you need 8 cars on the A and C. There are only 13 sets of 2 cars to make up R46 sets with a 4 car set+a 2 car set, not enough for full C service as they need about 18 trains for full service. It would be a waste of precious $$$$ to break up some 4 car units to make more 2's.

RIP (V)Train. December 17, 2001-June 25, 2009.

Well as we know the (V),(W),(M2) to bay parkway, and the (G) to court square are being eliminated. the (V) line is not perminatly gone its coming back in about five years when MTA relizes they actually need that line for the 6th avenue local service

Well as we know the (V),(W),(M2) to bay parkway, and the (G) to court square are being eliminated. the (V) line is not perminatly gone its coming back in about five years when MTA relizes they actually need that line for the 6th avenue local service

You know, there's another thread to talk about that. Let's not turn this thread into one about the (M) and the (V) and everything.

The R46 (C) train will come when it does, until then enjoy the R32s that run on the (C) while they are there, because they'll be removed eventually, which I or most people don't have any idea when.

I don't want to speculate, but the (C) will stay the same way until either some weird unexpected thing happened (like the R44 retirement) or the arrival of the next fleet (presumably the R179s).

speaking of R46's, i read somewhere (i dont remember if it was here or somewhere else) that some R46's are going to Staten Island for (SIR) service to replace some of those R44's (SIR) have. They were going to take those few R46's and modify them for (SIR) service. is that true?

speaking of R46's, i read somewhere (i dont remember if it was here or somewhere else) that some R46's are going to Staten Island for (SIR) service to replace some of those R44's (SIR) have. They were going to take those few R46's and modify them for (SIR) service. is that true?

There is a plan like that according to the SI Advance, because no new cars will be ordered for the SIR in the meantime.

Also, the R44s there are in better condition than the ones on the NYCT. The NYCT ones (citing a Widecab post) were bathed in acid to clean off the graffiti and everything. The acid screwed with the carbon metal strip and the underlying metal, hence, damaging it in the long term. The R46s got them full replaced, thus they are in better condition. The SIRT went thru the elements, which was in no way, comparable to the stuff the NYCT R44s went thru. Again, I'm citing from Widecab, so ask him for specifics.

I heard that too. I don't know if that's true or not, but I also heard that will happen when the R179s come in. Note: Nothing with the (MTA) is written in stone until it actually happens.

I heard that too. I don't know if that's true or not, but I also heard that will happen when the R179s come in. Note: Nothing with the (MTA) is written in stone until it actually happens.

That MAY be possible, since the R179s would bump R46s off to SI. But it all depends on how MANY R179s are going to ordered.

There is a plan like that according to the SI Advance, because no new cars will be ordered for the SIR in the meantime.

Also, the R44s there are in better condition than the ones on the NYCT. The NYCT ones (citing a Widecab post) were bathed in acid to clean off the graffiti and everything. The acid screwed with the carbon metal strip and the underlying metal, hence, damaging it in the long term. The R46s got them full replaced, thus they are in better condition. The SIRT went thru the elements, which was in no way, comparable to the stuff the NYCT R44s went thru. Again, I'm citing from Widecab, so ask him for specifics.

I think it is also prudent to mention that a number (specifically, 12) of the R44s on Staten Island are ex-NYCT, and therefore went through the same conditions as the mainline R44s.

The service cuts should free enough R46s for SI that waiting for the R179s would not be necessary.

(BTW: The R46s always had entirely stainless sides. Panels were not replaced during GOH for these cars. )

I think it is also prudent to mention that a number (specifically, 12) of the R44s on Staten Island are ex-NYCT, and therefore went through the same conditions as the mainline R44s.

The service cuts should free enough R46s for SI that waiting for the R179s would not be necessary.

(BTW: The R46s always had entirely stainless sides. Panels were not replaced during GOH for these cars. )

Oh yes, there were some NYCT cars that went over. Was it the 1990s they went over?

I do hear from alot of reliable sources that if the (C) goes 600" it will still have R32's with a Mixure of R46's if this happens, I heard in the summertime, It would make sence since 207th has 230 R32's plus 6 retired R32's(might convert to work motors).

What is the point of keeping the (C) shorter now just because the 44's are going instead of the 32's? Was it that the (C) was only to be lengthened because all the 60ft married pairs would be gone, but now since they're staying longer, they're taking the opportunity to keep it 8 cars?

Archived