Critics fear MTA's tech, safety fail: $21.3M will be wasted on subway cameras

Harry

This is NYC Transit's fancy new camera - it costs $23,000 and doesn't even record.

A four-year push to hook up hundreds of cameras in 32 subway stations has become an embarrassing boondoggle, with a ballooning pricetag and nothing yet to show for it.

The 910 cameras, designed to capture images of straphangers entering and exiting turnstiles, won't even be wired to recording devices until some time next month.

By then, the pricetag will have grown from $15 million to $21.3 million - meaning each camera will cost a staggering $23,000.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/05/16/2010-05-16_subways_blind_spot_camera_system_is_years_late_over_budget_doesnt_record.html#ixzz0o9hNIiKj

post-1-133288581778_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288581778_thumb.jpg

Imagine a computer... that you can't save anything to.... no right-click, save as... none of that....

that's how useless these cameras are gonna be....

Hate to have to hear something horrific happen in any of the 32 stations these things are hooked up at, w/i the month that they're not hooked up to any type of recording device....

they'll be kicking themselves.. and I'm being subtle in putting it like that....

btw, thanks for the article, Harry.

Hah. They don't even record yet? Big waste of money. They probably won't be working next month anyway

Yeah I feel so safe this wow.... This isnt gonna stop some murderer or some criminal but just take pix/vid..

they want to spectate when it happens :(

This is NYC Transit's fancy new camera - it costs $23,000 and doesn't even record.

A four-year push to hook up hundreds of cameras in 32 subway stations has become an embarrassing boondoggle, with a ballooning pricetag and nothing yet to show for it.

The 910 cameras, designed to capture images of straphangers entering and exiting turnstiles, won't even be wired to recording devices until some time next month.

By then, the pricetag will have grown from $15 million to $21.3 million - meaning each camera will cost a staggering $23,000.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/05/16/2010-05-16_subways_blind_spot_camera_system_is_years_late_over_budget_doesnt_record.html#ixzz0o9hNIiKj

Its the Greedy TWU Workers fault.....

Since they are blaming us for all of their troubles anyway...

...And the MTA continues to dump money not for the people, but for their employees by avoiding lawsuits. Why am I not surprised when this we clearly live in the Land of Lawsuits? This is the same reason why the FRA so strictly controls Amtrak High Speed Trains. Either way, avoiding lawsuits definitely costs more on the long run.

Archived