Leap to Tracks for Dropped Item? Think Again

Harry

Late one night, waiting for the subway after a Mets game, Sean Frawley dropped his cellphone and promptly watched its battery pop out and land, with an unhappy plunk, on the tracks.

It is a particularly vivid brand of urban nightmare, and, as Mr. Frawley recalled a couple of months later, only two thoughts crossed his mind: “I can either pay $300 for a new Blackberry, or I can jump down on the track.”

Mr. Frawley jumped.

The subway track bed, a four-and-a-half-foot drop from the platform, is a menacing morass of rats, garbage and lethal electricity. Mr. Frawley, 23, regretted his decision immediately.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/17/nyregion/17subway.html

post-1-133288582031_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288582031_thumb.jpg

Sadly I think many will read this and igonre it when they are faced with the same situation. No matter how many of these stories make the news, people don't seem to understand that they really are taking a big chance and if it is them agains the train, they will always lose.

Sadly I think many will read this and igonre it when they are faced with the same situation. No matter how many of these stories make the news, people don't seem to understand that they really are taking a big chance and if it is them agains the train, they will always lose.

I think everyone knows and understands the size, speed and power of a train. They just do it anyway. It's more of a personal sense of pride along the lines of "the train isn't going to hit me" or "I can get in and out in time". Some people get away with it and sadly some don't. :(

Possessions of mine that fell on subway trackage, over time:

I've lost 2 caps, a set of keys, a 5 dollar bill, my (college) graduation tassel, and (embarrasing as this sounds), a piece of paper that had this bad ass lookin woman's phone number on it... I'm still mad at myself @ having that happen....

The only thing I managed to get back, was my keys at that time (which I eventually misplaced again, and never ended up finding them)... luckily there was a trackworker in the vicinity... luckily it happened on a saturday.... I went up to the token booth clerk & told him what happened... this was back in 2002...

Not once have I thought about jumping onto the tracks to get any of the items....

You have to know your options, play it safe, and do the right thing.

Then again, common sense isn't so common anymore.

The closest I've ever been to the tracks was when I went to 207th Street for the shop tour and was walking on track level and posed in front of trains for photo ops lol...either way the last thing I'd want to do is risk my life for an inanimate object, even if the track isn't used...it's not worth getting pinched for being in unauthorized areas.

I think everyone knows and understands the size, speed and power of a train. They just do it anyway. It's more of a personal sense of pride along the lines of "the train isn't going to hit me" or "I can get in and out in time". Some people get away with it and sadly some don't. :(

I agree that the "it won't be me" attitude is the main cause because everyone is stronger, faster, and smarter then the last person that was killed and they won't let it happen to them.

GetAttachmentaspx-1.jpg

Ironically a lot of people are surprised to learn it is as deep down ther as it is. I know depth perception can be misleading sometimes but most think it is 2-3 feet down "at most", not 4 and a half, and despite knowing how dirty it is, few give any thought to the fact that there is tons of grease down there they can slip and fall on. And as IND said a lot of it is the "it won't happen to me" attitude.

Well unless the TA is gonna replace the item for them, they should at least have someone to retrieve it for them or something I mean its not like he didn't have a reason.

I have seen 5 people report dropped items, and either a track worker has retrieved it, or, as I saw twice, the T/O of the next train actually got onto the tracks and picked it up. This is one thing I think the TA takes very seriously and is surprisingly accomodating. Plus, if you drop it, it is your fault, not (NYCT). They really don't have to help you.

Well unless the TA is gonna replace the item for them, they should at least have someone to retrieve it for them or something I mean its not like he didn't have a reason.

The TA should not replace any thing you may have dropped, s**t happens and it's not their fault you dropped you iPod or cell phone. The TA dose have a crew that will come and get your item though so there is NO reason to go on the tracks.

You drop it you wasnt careful period.

People just are stupid, you never go on the tracks if you're not supposed to. Some places you have to cross the tracks like in a light rail or trolly situation, they are in the ground at grade level, but when on a platform, especially high level, stay away from the edge, watch your surroundings so you dont bump into people or they don't bump you, if you feel like your equilibrium is off, stay way back from the edge, at least as far back as you are tall.

I've seen idiots cross the light rail tracks where it states to not to, what if they fell and no one saw it and they got hit, or if they got seriously hurt from hitting the concrete or curb or the edge of the platform and couldn't move. Even if you survive, you got weeks or months of recovery if you get hurt, plus you potentially delay thousands of people who are following the rules.

Here's some advice, if you want to be a special case, do it at home. :(

- A

You drop it you wasnt careful period.

I This is one thing I think the TA takes very seriously and is surprisingly accomodating. Plus, if you drop it, it is your fault, not (NYCT). They really don't have to help you.

The TA should not replace any thing you may have dropped, s**t happens and it's not their fault you dropped you iPod or cell phone.

Thats exactly what these people be thinking too, and therefore feel its their responsibility to retrieve it. And besides, sometimes mistakes happen. I speak from experience too. Not every mistake that is made is something that you should be called clumsy or told it was your fault or need to come out of pocket for. Accidents happen, and when theres a way to fix it. It should be done as long as its not illegal or putting anyone at risk. I personally think that this guy should have asked for help before taking it upon himself to go down by his self.

Thats exactly what these people be thinking too, and therefore feel its their responsibility to retrieve it. And besides, sometimes mistakes happen. I speak from experience too. Not every mistake that is made is something that you should be called clumsy or told it was your fault or need to come out of pocket for. Accidents happen, and when theres a way to fix it. It should be done as long as its not illegal or putting anyone at risk. I personally think that this guy should have asked for help before taking it upon himself to go down by his self.

Dropping something is a forgiveable mistake. Going down to get it would be a second mistake, and an UNforgiveable one. Those who do it can just ask the train for themselves if it's in a forgiving mood in their last seconds and see what the answer is.

Or they can stay on the platform, live, learn from their forgiveable mistake in dropping something, and ask an employee or police officer nearby to notify someone who can retrieve it for them.

The TA does have several track crews who's job it is to retreive items that people drop. They get stuff people have dropped off platfroms and even things people dropped in tunnels from movng trains when it was still legal to walk from car to car. Just ask a police officer or station agent and they will call in people who are trained to go down to the tracks and get what you droppd. Your phone s not worth your life.

The TA does have several track crews who's job it is to retreive items that people drop. They get stuff people have dropped off platfroms and even things people dropped in tunnels from movng trains when it was still legal to walk from car to car. Just ask a police officer or station agent and they will call in people who are trained to go down to the tracks and get what you droppd. Your phone s not worth your life.

Unfortunately a woman had to learn that the hard way back in 2004 when she was mowed down by a (V) train...people had a hard time pulling her back up because she was heavyset and couldn't get herself back onto the platform.

Unfortunately a woman had to learn that the hard way back in 2004 when she was mowed down by a (V) train...people had a hard time pulling her back up because she was heavyset and couldn't get herself back onto the platform.
Wasnt that the one that dropped her blackberry on the tracks?

Wasnt that the one that dropped her blackberry on the tracks?

I can't find the article...I have no idea what type of phone it was but my friends told me this: the people on the platform were holding on to her and when the train came in the station, all that was left of her were her arms in their hands. :eek:

Archived