Artics on the Bx29

Kriston Lewis

I spotted #5755 in service on the Bx29 yesterday evening around 7.30pm. I'm guessing that either supervision threw on what was free or City Island crowds warrant a 60-foot bus now, especially after Easter Sunday when people were left behind at Pelham Bay.

Actually it might of used an Artic becuz there was a lot of buses of Gun Hill used for the (2)(5) Shuttle Bus G/O yesterday. Plus other depots buses.

The Bx29 is NOT getting artics at all. Especially for a short route.

Actually it might of used an Artic becuz there was a lot of buses of Gun Hill used for the (2)(5) Shuttle Bus G/O yesterday.

If that was the case, then why didn't they send the artics to the shuttle?

They're on the M35 all the time, and that's a pretty short route. I did say that it might have been a one time fluke.

Actually it might of used an Artic becuz there was a lot of buses of Gun Hill used for the (2)(5) Shuttle Bus G/O yesterday. Plus other depots buses.

It is VERY possible the Bx29 may be getting artics after the service cuts in June because they are going to be interlining routes and one of the possibilities is the Bx5/Bx29 being interlined in runs. Nothing has been 100% approved yet BUT if that interline goes through then artics on the Bx29 may become a regular reality as they won't make the Bx5 100% 40-footer either.

I remember hearing somewhere on this forum that artics can't turn around at the dead-end on City Island....

Training is everything. As someone who has driving artics, all you need is the proper training. I got trained to back up and alley-dock an artic AT NIGHT with minimal visibility. Best thing for me, it heightened my senses of how to back up and tight turn a artic.

That turn at the end of the Bx29 is tight, but it can be made with an artic if taught properly.

You want hard? Try U-turning a 45-foot MCI Commuter Coach with locked tag axles and without raising the ass of the bus up!

There was also lots of artic on (F)(S) Bus as well.

They're on the M35 all the time, and that's a pretty short route. I did say that it might have been a one time fluke.

Beside M35, special show only X80 uses Artic and just like M35, it was busy.

It is VERY possible the Bx29 may be getting artics after the service cuts in June because they are going to be interlining routes and one of the possibilities is the Bx5/Bx29 being interlined in runs. Nothing has been 100% approved yet BUT if that interline goes through then artics on the Bx29 may become a regular reality as they won't make the Bx5 100% 40-footer either.

Does Artic have enough space to turn around in City Island?

There was a few sets of D60s on the (2)(5) Shuttle yesterday and Saturday. I got pixs/vids comin up. RTS/Orion 5/7/ NF-D60s

Training is everything. As someone who has driving artics, all you need is the proper training. I got trained to back up and alley-dock an artic AT NIGHT with minimal visibility. Best thing for me, it heightened my senses of how to back up and tight turn a artic.

That turn at the end of the Bx29 is tight, but it can be made with an artic if taught properly.

You want hard? Try U-turning a 45-foot MCI Commuter Coach with locked tag axles and without raising the ass of the bus up!

It should be easier to turn an artic around a tight space than a 40 or 45 foot bus.

Interesting, and it would make sense too. That is a pretty smart idea. Also it would probably interline with the Bx12 local.

Does Artic have enough space to turn around in City Island?

I'm pretty sure it does, the LFSA went out there for testing and it was successful. The D60HFs have a much more tighter turning radius so I'm sure its doable.

You know I think I did see that artic on the Bx29 and it was 5755. I was on the Bx12 SBS Nova #1210 to Bay Plaza and we were right behind it making the turn at Pelham Bay Park into the highway. I thought the sign was messed up but I see that it was the real deal. That would be something to see artics on the Bx29 on a regular basis.

If a 40 foot bus can turn around on City Island why not a 60 footer??? But yea i think I've seen a D60 Bx29.... I've heard of them on the Bx14...

A little off topic but...

Does anyone know if the Bx5's 60 footers can make the turn from Crosby on to Westchester Ave when the cuts go into affect? the turn seems way too tight with the (6) El structure's beams...

What about the M79 and M23 in Manhattan which are also short routes Mark? I bet the Bx29 distance wise is slightly longer than the M79. Maybe someone can double check.

Actually other than bus shortages like last weekend's GO that basically shut down Bronx (2)(5) service, the BX29 only needs artics during the Summer Holiday season mainly Fridays-Sundays and also Memorial Day, July 4th and Labor Day when it really SRO on the BX29.

If a 40 foot bus can turn around on City Island why not a 60 footer??? But yea i think I've seen a D60 Bx29.... I've heard of them on the Bx14...

Does anyone know if the Bx5's 60 footers can make the turn from Crosby on to Westchester Ave when the cuts go into affect? the turn seems way too tight with the (6) El structure's beams...

I think both New Flyer and NovaBus LFS Artic able to do it.

Bx4, Bx19 goes under el.

Looking at Google Maps Street View, there should not be a problem with the pillars.

Looking at Google Maps Street View, there should not be a problem with the pillars.

Yea your right there's no pillar where the bx5 would need to turn in either direction.... I'm just a little concerned about the frequency of my home route... I loved how fast the Bx5 would travel between Pelham Bay and Castle Hill , I feel like service may be hampered when it's re-routed.

What about the M79 and M23 in Manhattan which are also short routes Mark? I bet the Bx29 distance wise is slightly longer than the M79. Maybe someone can double check.

Actually other than bus shortages like last weekend's GO that basically shut down Bronx (2)(5) service, the BX29 only needs artics during the Summer Holiday season mainly Fridays-Sundays and also Memorial Day, July 4th and Labor Day when it really SRO on the BX29.

Mileage wise the Bx29 (5.4 + miles) is twice as long as the M79 (2.18 miles).

Then there's that first right turn the M15 makes after it leaves the 1st stop comming from South Ferry (not too familiar on street names)

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Then there's that first right turn the M15 makes after it leaves the 1st stop comming from South Ferry (not too familiar on street names)

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Whitehall Street, that one isnt that tight compared to the Pike/Madison turn, gotta wait for cars to back up and all that shit & the artics almost jacknife themselves by getting into the maximum angle they can get to.

Whitehall Street, that one isnt that tight compared to the Pike/Madison turn, gotta wait for cars to back up and all that shit & the artics almost jacknife themselves by getting into the maximum angle they can get to.

I know that turn. What about the Bx12 turn from W 207 St into that bus stop on Bway. Its tight enough where the max angle light is on during half the turn

Archived