Bensonhurst baker predicts business will nosedive once MTA cuts B64 bus

Harry

They thought they had a recipe for success.

Baker Vinny Galbo and his family were sure they had found the perfect location for their dream bakery when they opened a year ago on a busy Bensonhurst corner.

But their fortunes burst when the MTA announced plans to ax the B64 bus, which drops customers directly outside their shop, Bread Plus, on Harway Ave. at the corner of Bay 50th St.

"We're going to take a hit," said Galbo, 23. "People wait for the bus and grab their coffee and a cheese Danish. Or they come in after work to grab a loaf of bread."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/brooklyn/2010/05/19/2010-05-19_no_bus_no_business_bensonhurst_baker_bemoans_ko_of_b64.html#ixzz0oNPMEzfJ

post-1-133288582039_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288582039_thumb.jpg

Another slap in the face for the little guys.

I find it hard to believe that Vinny Galbo's entire business plan centers around the presence of one bus route (and the patronage of one particular customer who rides that bus) instead of the quality of his baked goods. If his products are as good as he says they are, then people will still seek him out. If the loss of one particular customer is enough to force him out of business, then he's clearly not up to snuff.

As someone who knows that area of SW Brooklyn very well and used to live there, this is an example of the (MTA) operations planning doing a bad job in reducing service. The (MTA) besides relying only on metrocard data from fareboxes should have also sent out employees to do research and studies in person for all of the proposed routes that are planned to be cut before making a decision. No doubt almost all of the cuts are also politically motivated imo.

I can understand ending overnight service on the B64, (not saying i agree but honestly the current B64 only get ridership from say between Bay Pwy/Bath and 86th/4th)but in recent years, daily ridership has grown. Not to metion how unreilble the B82 is. B35 is probably right this is a master plan by (MTA) execs to try to end Bath Ave bus service altogether. I even bet the (MTA) would permenately only would run the B64 say between 18th Ave/86th (D) station and Bay Ridge Ave/Shore Rd.

As far as the bakery featured in the Daily News article, that guy is not the only store owner that relies on customers from a bus or subway stop citywide to survive.

Yet some routes that should be cut such as (MTA) Bus line like The BM4 BXM6 BXM18 and Q21 for instance was untouched. This is a low blow to all of Brooklyn imo.:mad::tdown:

Gotta learn by now and this is not just the MTA but all transit agencies,that TA's DO NOT CARE about the areas surrounding bus routes.TA's operate bus routes for the general public to use to get to where ever they want to go from certain areas.If they find that people aren't using the buses then bye bye go the buses and businesses,small or big,can go rot in hell.Bus routes are there for people to use not for businesses to take advantage of.Besides that dude can still get people who are using the (D) train so he won't suffer as much as he thinks.(1)(A)(C)

As someone who knows that area of SW Brooklyn very well and used to live there, this is an example of the (MTA) operations planning doing a bad job in reducing service. The (MTA) besides relying only on metrocard data from fareboxes should have also sent out employees to do research and studies in person for all of the proposed routes that are planned to be cut before making a decision. No doubt almost all of the cuts are also politically motivated imo.

I can understand ending overnight service on the B64, (not saying i agree but honestly the current B64 only get ridership from say between Bay Pwy/Bath and 86th/4th)but in recent years, daily ridership has grown. Not to metion how unreilble the B82 is. B35 is probably right this is a master plan by (MTA) execs to try to end Bath Ave bus service altogether. I even bet the (MTA) would permenately only would run the B64 say between 18th Ave/86th (D) station and Bay Ridge Ave/Shore Rd.

As far as the bakery featured in the Daily News article, that guy is not the only store owner that relies on customers from a bus or subway stop citywide to survive.

Yet some routes that should be cut such as (MTA) Bus line like The BM4 BXM6 BXM18 and Q21 for instance was untouched. This is a low blow to all of Brooklyn imo.:mad::tdown:

(part in bold) Not only me, but BrooklynBus sees it that way as well.... I'm sure a few others also do...

I took the B64 (full route, from bay ridge to CI) this past tuesday; probably my last time using the route before the cuts... Thinking back, of all the times I rode the route heading towards Stillwell (weekdays & weekends), I do notice that ppl. barely disembark along Harway.... But then again, heading back towards bay ridge, the B64 @ times leaves stillwell w/ a good crowd...

iono, not that I agree w/ what they want to do w/ the route, but I guess they figure they'd get more usage on the *new* 64 in Bay Ridge, than it ever would, b/w CI & Ulmer park depot... which it probably would.... But eh, this is all for naught anyway; since I (still) think they eventually want to do away with all/any type of b64 service....

& don't get me started with the Q21....

I remember a time where Q11's would arrive like wildfire (before the takeover of the PBL's).... and the 21 would have headways of anywhere b/w 45-90 minutes during the midday....

Even though it's (current q11/ 21) essentially the same route, since the 21 got extended, service on the Q11 lessened to a degree, whereas 21 service actually got an increase (and flourished mightily due to it !) - an extension and a service increase... while a route w/ growing ridership like the B64 gets truncated on one end & extended on the other... and god knows what its service levels are gonna be like.... Q21 was hanging on a thread (now it's going nowhere), B64 is being setup for failure/extinction the way I see it...

go figure....

I find it hard to believe that Vinny Galbo's entire business plan centers around the presence of one bus route (and the patronage of one particular customer who rides that bus) instead of the quality of his baked goods. If his products are as good as he says they are, then people will still seek him out. If the loss of one particular customer is enough to force him out of business, then he's clearly not up to snuff.
True,but you have to understand that a good portion of the city takes mass transit and for some businesses rely on certain subway and bus routes.Can you imagine if they shut down the entire (7) line for a year how many businesses will be greatly affected?:(

I don't think their worried about their regular customers. What concerns the bakery is the extra business the bus route brings it. You can have, lets say 100 regular customers. But add a bus stop near by and now you can have up to 200 regular customers. I believe that's their concern.

I don't think their worried about their regular customers. What concerns the bakery is the extra business the bus route brings it. You can have, lets say 100 regular customers. But add a bus stop near by and now you can have up to 200 regular customers. I believe that's their concern.

To add on Harry point & not to get too off topic but what about other bakeries and other mom & pop shops that are located near a major highway intersection or tourist attraction as well and that highway was being torn down or the tourist place being closed? Some of the local customers may still shop there but the extra ones may no longer do so. It same concept.:(

Yes, Operations Planning is doing a poor job in reducing service. Just look at their reports and it is obvious. Even their decision to restore weekday B4 service instead of weekend service does not make sense from a cost/benefit analysis. It would have been cheaper for them to bring back weekend service instead and more people would have benefitted. You can read my blog if you haven't seen my entire testimony regarding their methodology. http://allanrosen.spaces.live.com/blog

Regarding the bakery, you will find that when any bus route is changed, a good change or a bad change, there will always be a business being hurt and they will complain. If it's a good change and a business is helped, that will never make the news.

You can't do planning based on what will happen to a local business. The goal should be to improve service for the riders. Unfortunately, now it is to cut service.

Look at all the sufferring the Second Avenue businesses have to go through during construction of the subway. Many will not be able to survive. But do you not build anything because of that?

I used to ride the B64 from my apartment in Bay Ridge to see the Cyclones play at Coney Island. During the rush hour it is standing room only.

Just another sign that the Brooklyn and New York I know is slowly being sliced away like cold cuts at the deli counter. Out of sight out of mind. And Gravesend is a long way from Gracie Mansion.

It's sad to see this. I moved to Florida a short time ago and the rate of change in NYC seems to be accelerating. I hardly knew the place when I left because of this. In the 3 months since I left, it seems unrecognizable. Rationalize it if you must but this didn't happen in the Great Depression.

I went to the protest today and watched the B64 from 11AM to 12:30PM at Bay 50 St. A bus came every 15 minutes in each direction. Each bus had 12 to 15 people in each direction. That's 120 people an hour during the off-peak when kids are not going to and from school. I wonder how many routes are not being discontinued and have fewer passengers than that. That number must skyrocket when school lets out.

I went to the protest today and watched the B64 from 11AM to 12:30PM at Bay 50 St. A bus came every 15 minutes in each direction. Each bus had 12 to 15 people in each direction. That's 120 people an hour during the off-peak when kids are not going to and from school. I wonder how many routes are not being discontinued and have fewer passengers than that. That number must skyrocket when school lets out.

Sure it does. They have kids from Dewey, PS 212, Cavallaro and whatever mutant school system Lafayette became coming onto that bus line everyday. Not everyone takes the D train.

And even generally the B64's removal is a horrible idea. First of all, why should it take 2 buses to go from Bensonhurst to Bay Ridge? Second of all, not only is the B82 unreliable but only every other bus even goes -into- Coney. AND with only having a bus line on Cropsey, the 82's going to be packed.

Sure it does. They have kids from Dewey, PS 212, Cavallaro and whatever mutant school system Lafayette became coming onto that bus line everyday. Not everyone takes the D train.

And even generally the B64's removal is a horrible idea. First of all, why should it take 2 buses to go from Bensonhurst to Bay Ridge? Second of all, not only is the B82 unreliable but only every other bus even goes -into- Coney. AND with only having a bus line on Cropsey, the 82's going to be packed.

The (MTA) should have done this imo.

1)Merge the B64 and B70. After the VA Hosptial it would run via 7th Ave, 92nd(serve Victory Hosptial)Ft Hamilton, Marine Ave, 3rd Ave, Bay Ridge Ave then along current B70 route to/from 1st Ave & 39th. The benfits include.

1a)An alternative transit route between Sunset Park/Dyker Heights and Bensonhurst, Bath Beach and CI when the (D) and (N) are shut down for "GO's and other emgerncies.

2a)Gives access for 1st time for Sunset park and Dyker Height a bus that stops near Caser's Bay(Best Buy/Kohl's)shopping center.

3a)Takes two lower used bus lines and makes it more productive.

2)Create a new B86 route between shore rd/86th St and Manhattan Beach/Kingsborough and make that the full time 24/7 route connecting Manhattan Beach, Brighton and bensonhurst, Dyker hgts and Bay Ridge.

3)Reduce service on the B1 and run as a supplemental route to the b86. Run it weekdays 530am-Midnight and weekends 7am-11pm.

Very similar to my ideas and for the same reasons. But the idea here isn't to improve service, it's to run less service pure and simple.

Schumer and Gilibrand introduced a bill in Congress to provide an infusion of cash to transit agencies. Their aim is to get it passed before the June 27th doomsday. My bet is that even if it is passed the MTA will still insist on making these cuts because that's what they want to do anyway. They will say that the picks have already been made and the signs all printed and that it would be too expensive to stop the cuts now. They will offer to delay a proposed fare increase instead but won't rescind these cuts, but will cancel the next round of cuts not revealed yet.

Very similar to my ideas and for the same reasons. But the idea here isn't to improve service, it's to run less service pure and simple.

Schumer and Gilibrand introduced a bill in Congress to provide an infusion of cash to transit agencies. Their aim is to get it passed before the June 27th doomsday. My bet is that even if it is passed the MTA will still insist on making these cuts because that's what they want to do anyway. They will say that the picks have already been made and the signs all printed and that it would be too expensive to stop the cuts now. They will offer to delay a proposed fare increase instead but won't rescind these cuts, but will cancel the next round of cuts not revealed yet.

Would this be a one-time deal? If it is, then only the worst cuts should be stopped because next year, we will be in the same situation if that bill isn't effective then.

In my opinion, I think it would be better to postpone a fare hike than to avoid the service cuts.

Would this be a one-time deal? If it is, then only the worst cuts should be stopped because next year, we will be in the same situation if that bill isn't effective then.

In my opinion, I think it would be better to postpone a fare hike than to avoid the service cuts.

Same here. Let the cuts take place instead of another fare hike. At least people would still be able to afford monthly cards.

Yes, it's a one time deal. But I don't think the situation is an either or situation. I think if it passes, we still will get both. I only brought up the point of not rescinding the service cuts, because the TWU Union President made a comment like how can they justify and go through with the cuts if they also get the money? Knowing the MTA, I think they can and will. But it all depends on the amount of money we will get, if any, and the deficit projections.

Schumer and Gilibrand introduced a bill in Congress to provide an infusion of cash to transit agencies. Their aim is to get it passed before the June 27th doomsday. .

Where the @#$%^& have they been for the past year???? Why did they deliberately wait until the proverbial "11th hour" to propose this?

My bet is that even if it is passed the MTA will still insist on making these cuts because that's what they want to do anyway. They will say that the picks have already been made and the signs all printed and that it would be too expensive to stop the cuts now. They will offer to delay a proposed fare increase instead but won't rescind these cuts, but will cancel the next round of cuts not revealed yet.

Thing 1...

Right now, it's only a PROPOSAL, a mere talking point. It has NOT been discussed in committee, it has NOT been voted on by the full Senate or the full House, it has NOT been signed by the President, and it certainly has NOT been implemented in any way, shape, or form. Spending the money before that happens is irresponsible at best.

Thing 2...

Even if the proposal is implemented, it would be a ONE-SHOT. Making annual budgets based on a single one-shot is irresponsible at best.

Thing 3...

The $2 billion amount is NATIONWIDE. The total MTA portion is barely $300M, which still doesn't cover this year's budget gap, much less next year's.

Thing 4...

Anybody who's been even half-awake over the past year already knows all of the above.

Where the @#$%^& have they been for the past year???? Why did they deliberately wait until the proverbial "11th hour" to propose this?

So the proposal is fresh on people's minds, so they get reelected. Also to make Albany move a bit faster than usual.

Thing 1...

Right now, it's only a PROPOSAL, a mere talking point. It has NOT been discussed in committee, it has NOT been voted on by the full Senate or the full House, it has NOT been signed by the President, and it certainly has NOT been implemented in any way, shape, or form. Spending the money before that happens is irresponsible at best.

That's the (MTA).

Thing 2...

Even if the proposal is implemented, it would be a ONE-SHOT. Making annual budgets based on a single one-shot is irresponsible at best.

Thing 3...

The $2 billion amount is NATIONWIDE. The total MTA portion is barely $300M, which still doesn't cover this year's budget gap, much less next year's.

IAWT.

Thing 4...

Anybody who's been even half-awake over the past year already knows all of the above.

Archived