MTA veteran's 20 years of safe driving

Trainspotter

MTA veteran's 20 years of safe driving

By Josh Max

Daily News Auto Correspondent

Tuesday, February 26th 2008

alg_sanua.jpg

Staying cool under pressure is key to safe driving, Sanua says.

NYC Transit bus operator Michael Sanua is some kind of bus-Zen master. He's been transporting New Yorkers to and fro since 1988 without a single smash-up. Figuring he must know something the rest of us don't, I asked him to share a few pointers. Speaking to the Daily News from the 100th St. depot, Sanua offered five tips for the rest of us cranky, always-in-a-hurry motorists to help us reduce stress, and dents.

Take a deep breath and relax. "Get your mentality together and whatnot," Sanua says. "We're all human, we're gonna have our days. Maybe one day in 20 years I was so upset I made myself sick. But that was more when I first started."

If a cab cuts you off, say to yourself, "Ok, that one's yours, this one's mine, have a nice day." "You don't want to be too aggressive because that's how things happen. Don't blow your top."

Don't let anything get to you. "It sounds simple, but it works."

Always smile. "Enjoy driving."

Keep both hands on the wheel at all times. And what kind of training do bus operators get? "It's been a long time," Sanua says. "Things have changed. They even changed the way they make right-hand turns. The ongoing test is really 'How many points do you have on your license?' And I don't have any."

At this point, Charles Seaton, director of public affairs, steps in. "Bus Operator training is performed over a period of seven to 10 days, including behind-the-wheel and simulator training," he says. "The bus is the classroom. Most training, as well as the driving skills test is done on the 'RTS' bus, the most common in the fleet. Everything is covered, from the proper way to make turns to adjusting mirrors to adjusting seats. Safety awareness is stressed at all times and applicants are told that if they are the type of person who flies off the handle easily, maybe the job is not for them."

"You're gonna find a lot of difficult people out there," the Bronx-born Sanua says. "You just have to let 'em go. People say, 'Where were you? What took you so long?' I say I'm here, that's more important. I take care of my customers — I call 'em my peeps. You have to keep the mentality that 'We're carrying fragile cargo, like eggs.' As you go, you get more experience. You're never too old to learn something."

Finally, both men have a message for civilians. The Kramden-esque term "bus driver" has been retired; the preferred nomenclature is "Bus operator."

Archived