#2 train terminating at Rector st. ?

dancfn

For the last two months or so, it seems that a certain number (50%?) of AM rush hour southbound #2 trains are switching to the local track at Chambers, and then continuing down the #1 line to Rector st.

Does anyone know how long this will go on for, and why it is happening?

Nothing can terminate at Rector St cuz the switch that was there was removed when it re-opened after 9/11. Besides, if the (2) terminated at Rector, it would screw up all (1) trains comming in & out of South Ferry. Its probably terminating at SF, but I'm not sure about that.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Nothing can terminate at Rector St cuz the switch that was there was removed when it re-opened after 9/11. Besides, if the (2) terminated at Rector, it would screw up all (1) trains comming in & out of South Ferry. Its probably terminating at SF, but I'm not sure about that.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

The trains can also let out at Rector, use the South Ferry loop tracks, and come back onto the uptown side.

At that time of the day, it seems like 80-90% of the passengers on the southbound (2) are heading to Wall Street, and so they all need to get off the train at Chambers, crowd the platform, and then get on another train that is extremely full.

Like I said, this seems to happen to me about every other morning, and the MTA hasn't posted anything about this anywhere.

The trains can also let out at Rector, use the South Ferry loop tracks, and come back onto the uptown side.

I get what you're saying...I was thinking the other way, where it discharges then goes back uptown from the same platform

At that time of the day, it seems like 80-90% of the passengers on the southbound (2) are heading to Wall Street, and so they all need to get off the train at Chambers, crowd the platform, and then get on another train that is extremely full.

Like I said, this seems to happen to me about every other morning, and the MTA hasn't posted anything about this anywhere.

Maybe its a morning put-in

50%? Wow; I glossed over this, and thought it was talking about an off-hour G.O.

The only thing I can think of, is a test to relieve the congestion at both Flatbush and New Lots. They really don't need the traffic, which becomes reverse-peak in Brooklyn, so it seems better used going back and serving the uptown direction.

What they need is the Atlantic Ave. loop that was once proposed. And with the Nets Arena construction, they would have had some clear space for a time, but the problem is, they might have needed property on the other side of Flatbush as well.

Another idea, which I sent in, and they shot down, was to put in the middle track of the Livonia line, (which had also included using that empty yard space next to the LIRR, which could be accessed by the Linden flyover, as additional storage).

For the last two months or so, it seems that a certain number (50%?) of AM rush hour southbound #2 trains are switching to the local track at Chambers, and then continuing down the #1 line to Rector st.

Does anyone know how long this will go on for, and why it is happening?

So with this pattern how often does a (2) to Brooklyn arrive at Chambers?And have you saw a (3) doing the same thing?

So the #1 can still access the loop tracks now that the new terminal has been built? I haven't been down that way since they put the new South Ferry terminal into operation.

So the #1 can still access the loop tracks now that the new terminal has been built? I haven't been down that way since they put the new South Ferry terminal into operation.

Yes, any train pulling S/B into Rector just takes a bottom yellow leaving Rector to get to the old South Ferry station (and the loop, since trains don't make the stop there)

It's not 50% of trains, it's only 3 or 4 and only once every 20 minutes. This is due to the East 180th St reconstruction and these (2)'s are simply for extra service.

And yes, they do terminate at Rector St. After the train is cleaned out, it goes through the old South Ferry loop and returns for northbound service.

What they need is the Atlantic Ave. loop that was once proposed. And with the Nets Arena construction, they would have had some clear space for a time, but the problem is, they might have needed property on the other side of Flatbush as well.

Whoa.. got any details on that idea?

Archived