TWU head John Samuelsen: MTA boss Jay Walder 'raking in the dough' amid big job cuts

Harry

The head of the transit union went on the warpath against MTA boss Jay Walder Tuesday - blasting him as a fat cat "raking in the dough" while he lays off workers.

Union big John Samuelsen railed against the "rich guy's" $350,000 salary and $5,000 monthly housing allowance.

"I just can't get over the irony of him talking about controlling costs when he's raking in the dough," Samuelsen stormed in a sitdown with the Daily News Editorial Board.

"Not for nothing, he has the best severance package in the history of the public sector."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/05/19/2010-05-19_twu_blasts_transit_boss_union_big_walder_raking_in_the_dough_amid_big_job_cuts.html#ixzz0oTVZGjQI

post-1-133288582042_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288582042_thumb.jpg

Not for nothing, and despite my repeated posts regarding this topic, I'm sick of this shit already. Walder is less than curbside garbage, Samuelsen's in a tight spot, and the public gets the table scraps of a poorly negotiated newspaper contracted. The Transit workers live this crap day-in and day-out, and the riders are so misinformed that it's ridiculous. This is schoolyard shit, and I'd expect more from an appointed official and an elected leader. I might be out of line by saying this, but they should grow up, settle this behind closed doors and stop making the blue collars suffer and the riders read the wrong reports.

Whats the point of the housing allowance? Thats like $60,000 a year!

There is no point. Just another perk the rich get that I don't. $60,000 a year is more than most people make in this country, let alone spend on housing.

If Walder really wants people to think that he is trying to save the MTA and money, he and every other appointee in the MTA board should voluntarily renegotiate their pay and take a 50% cut. Paul Mcartney can write a song for his girlfriend to compensate her 50% pay decrease.

Why not just hire somebody less proficient (after that early termination package is in the past of course)?

From secondavenuesagas.com:

if New York wants to attract talent to head up the massive MTA, the authority will have to pay. We all want $350,000 a year, but to begrudge Walder those dollars is simply populism run amok.

Why not just hire somebody less proficient (after that early termination package is in the past of course)?

From secondavenuesagas.com:

No, the teabagger movement is populism run amok. This is calling to task a person who is accepting pay packages most of us can only dream of, while simultaneously laying off workers and snipping at the unions because their workers get paid "too high."

It's called practicing what you preach. If Walder can demand that the TWU tighten its belt, surely he can lead by example.

they should hire someone inside(who currently works for ta)..........it'll be interesting to see if the union will back cuomo if he decides to keep walder in place if/when he is elected gov...........

That would be the right thing to do, but then again we are talking about the MTA and New York State, so you know what will happen.

Well, Walder is hired by New York State so he should get what the deal is, he is CEO and Chairman, gets the pay of a Public Sector CEO and it is about fairness and balence, IDK why NY'er complain so much, but if Jay Walder get the same pay as NJT, Washington Metro, Philly Septa and Boston T CEO, it should stay the same way...

You never cease to outdo yourself in terms of

Absolute

Focking

Stupidity

Well, Walder is hired by New York State so he should get what the deal is, he is CEO and Chairman, gets the pay of a Public Sector CEO and it is about fairness and balence, IDK why NY'er complain so much, but if Jay Walder get the same pay as NJT, Washington Metro, Philly Septa and Boston T CEO, it should stay the same way...

Partner, I don't know what the hell your point is there, I don't know what they hell you were thinking and I certainly don't know what the hell you were trying to write... In fact, none of us know what the hell your points are, what you're thinking or what you're trying to write

"He should get what the deal is"... Are you trying to say that he deserves his compensation and benefits package, or are you using colloquial slang to say that "he should know what's going on"?

"Fairness and balence"... Since when is ANYTHING in politics (his position is highly politically-tied) all about fairness, and since when have the scales of justice ever been balanced? They're long been tipped worse than Rosie O'Donnell sitting opposite Nicole Richie on a see-saw.

"IDK why NY'er complain so much, but if Jay Walder get the same pay as NJT, Washington Metro, Philly Septa and Boston T CEO, it should stay the same way"... I swear, Bro... you're either Pete Donohue, or you fetch him coffee and lunch while pretending to be an 11-year-old. Everyone everywhere complains about something, and if everyone was without any complaints, they'd complain about that. Jay Walder just happens to be an obnoxious punk of a boss who plays Karl Rove-esque dirty politics with his public negotiations and you're delusional if you feel that his shoddy leadership and outward show of greed has been justifying his pay and parachute.

Please... from now on, could you please just let the grown-ups and people who have a clue what they are commenting on do the posting? Threads with posts such as that lose their originally-intended purpose faster than a rabbit gets f!@#$d.

If you have aproblem with my posts, again please use the Private Message feature designed for resolving problems, I have tons of room in my inbox so you should PM me, I do not like to trash a thread, I am saying Jay Walder should get the same benefits and pay as the other Public Transit system (like the (MTA)) CEOs in the NorthEast USA...

I AM NOT GOING TO PM YOU...get that through that enormous god damned head of yours. Of COURSE you have a lot of "PM Box" room! I bet HARDLY ANYONE PM's you at all except Harry and the moderators telling you to knock it off.

You are talking about something you have no idea about. You are 17 years old and you think you have all the answers. News flash: YOU DON'T. You can't even begin to imagine how complicated things are in the world so don't try, just live your life and someday when you're older MAYBE you'll be qualified to speak intelligently about SOMETHING (but I'm not holding my breath)

If you think grownups belong in this forum then buy it down from Harry and Zach and change the age limit to 18 years old. Just because I am going to 17 it doesn't mean I do not know how to post, I ran forums for like 4 years (from 2005-2008) and was an editor of a forum from (2008-2009)...

Whoop de friggin' do. You ran a forum once. Wow. You're so cool. Let me call the cool police and let me tell them to make you Staff Sergeant. Look jerkoff, YOU don't belong in here. You're just a punk little kid running his mouth about stuff you're not qualified to talk about, and you ruin literally EVERY thread you post in. I don't give a shit how many forums you ran "back in the day" when you were 13-16, if they're anything like you they were probably filled with illiterate garbage and sucked anyway... And you DON'T know how to post.

you better start describing the other T/A system CEO's pay and benefits or it'll be such a resistence and people will think you have no clue what the hell you are talking about. Just because I have a problematic post, it doesn't mean it should carry on up-to-this-date... So shut up until you understand what the hell I am saying...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh please. It's obvious to literally every single person on these boards that the only person who knows nothing of what he posts, 100% of the time, is YOU. Us shut up till we understand what you are saying? That's a good one. If everyone on the forum followed that horrible advice it would just be you and a whole lot of crickets on here. Thank goodness you're not in any kind of position of power around here, so that you can talk shit like that all you want but it's pretty damn obvious you can't back it up. News flash: Probably NOT a good idea to go around doing it.

And you don't have "a problematic post" you have something more like 7,500 of them (and counting...unfortunately).

Fine you want facts? Here they are, annual salaries, and yet again they prove you WRONG:

Walder: 350K

Sander (last MTA Head): 250K (when he left)

Casey (SEPTA): 202K

Pagano (Metra): 270K, stole 56K before killing himself

Get lost, little boy. Go play a video game or something and let the ADULTS and people who BEHAVE LIKE ADULTS talk in here.

If you think grownups belong in this forum then buy it down from Harry and Zach and change the age limit to 18 years old. Just because I am going to 17 it doesn't mean I do not know how to post, I ran forums for like 4 years (from 2005-2008) and was an editor of a forum from (2008-2009), you better start describing the other T/A system CEO's pay and benefits or it'll be such a resistence and people will think you have no clue what the hell you are talking about. Just because I have a problematic post, it doesn't mean it should carry on up-to-this-date... So shut up until you understand what the hell I am saying...

I had no clue how old you are before I made that comment and I was referring to maturity level. And furthermore, I wasn't implying that ONLY adults should post exclusively, but that threads regarding topics such as being a dues-paying union members and their contract with their management, how the economy is affecting employees, their benefits and their lifestyles, etc. I can't sit here and read what a high school student rants and raves about, claiming who deserves what and the "public sector" and "CEO's this..." and "other systems that..." and even take your points about those things seriously.

Do you have a job? Is it a full-time paying job with benefits? Are you an employee who is officially certified by the State of New York to be a servant of the public? Do you have a family to tend to - a wife, children, pets; an apartment or house; mortgage and car payments; utility bills? In fact, what are your bills?

The bottom line is this: people are losing their jobs left and right; people who have faithfully and loyally served in capacities which are nothing less than essential to their agency and to the public; people who have saved lives and risked their own; people with families; people with bills; people who have been working longer than you've been alive.

If you want to sit here and justify Jay Walder's salary and benefits package, you'll need to do a whole lot more than just make statements such as what you've been posting about him being underpaid when compared to CEO's of much smaller rapid transit systems. I'm just a dues-payer of the largest public employee union in NYC. Others work in financial departments. And still, others are actual (MTA) employees. Employees whose friends have lost their jobs and are now struggling to maintain their place of residence and keep their kids neatly dressed and prepared for school each morning. You want to bring statistics and real figures to play hardball... we'll play. But you've yet to support your claims at all. Just remember who some of the members of this forum. You're entering the lion's den by making comments like a few that you've made. I don't go to an ethnic neighborhood and yell out racial epithets and then justify those comments.

You can do what you want, but I suggest that you stay in school for as long as you possibly can, ask questions and then start shutting up and listening to what people say, rather than reading an article and then telling actual (MTA) employees that their hairless leader is due, at the very least, what he makes when his compensation and benefits package compared to the hook-up that the CEO's of other transportation systems receive. Always remember what you're talking about and with whom you're speaking.

Let's try to put this in simple layman's terms. To make it EASY for some of us. The manager of the New York Yankees is worth X amount of money. The manager of the New York Mets is worth X amount of money. The managers of the Red Sox, Dodgers, and St Louis Cardinals are worth X amount of money. Is someone saying that all of these people should have the same pay packages? The first two instances I named play in the same market yet their financial packages are not the same. Why, because of experience and accomplishments. The other three managers I named also have more experience and accomplishments which is why, although their titles are the same, make different salaries. Uncle Fester, late of London, has no accomplishments on his resume, except antagonizing those he supervised in jolly old Londontown. I will give him his props as far as being a financial person, but running a transit system as CEO doesn't appear to be his strong suit. Google" Walder and London transit" sometime and read thoroughly. Uncle Fester had some problems over there, too. Of course " Pucker Lips " Pete leaves that stuff unmentioned. Maybe Juan Gonzalez of the the News should take over the transit beat there. You may not always agree with his columns but he's not going to kiss Fester's butt either. SOME young people have a lot to learn.

walder is grossly overpaid...........i dont even thing the president of the united states grosses 300k per year from the goverment.............

walder is grossly overpaid...........i dont even thing the president of the united states grosses 300k per year from the goverment.............

Unfortunately Obama does make $300,000.00 a year salary. He's the presidential Walder. Walder screws up the MTA, Obama screws up the USA, a ok?

Unfortunately Obama does make $300,000.00 a year salary. He's the presidential Walder. Walder screws up the MTA, Obama screws up the USA, a ok?

obama makes 400,000.00 a year. and he aint screw up the usa bush f*cked up the usa.

obama makes 400,000.00 a year. and he aint screw up the usa bush f*cked up the usa.

I hit the wrong key. I meant $400,000.00. You keep believing Obama can walk on water, that will get you far. And if you want to get technical and not repeat everything the press tells you about Bush, Congress f*cked up the US, from the 1970's on. The president cannot do a thing without congressional approval. I'm not a Bush fan, nor am I an Obama fan, but the way you responded, it sounds as if you're only an Obama defender because of his skin color which is just as patheic as being a Bush defender because of his skin color. A snake is a snake regardless of his color. He will still bite you, and both snakes, Obama and Bush took a big juicy bite out of the US.

Archived