Access a Ride

Shortline Bus

I decided to create a topic on the access a ride bus system. It so wasteful of tens of millions or more each year, it's not even funny. If Access a ride was ever revised it probably would have prevented the soon to be bus service cuts starting in June 2010. Also here a great statement in the b37 thread on access a ride.

QUOTE=BusOperator3319;276623]I always say I don't equate elderly as being a disability as it stands now the Paratransit System in New York City is in shambles unorginazed and run very poorly and for a lack of better words it is in a state of disrepair I don't know how NYCT allows someone with a Short Term Disability to continue to use/abuse the service when someone who really needs it is denied I think it is time for NYCT to dig their heels in and take full responsibility for the services that they administer they should also visit other states to see how their paratransit systems are run and implement their findings here what the people with disabilities need is a system that is run effectively and efficiently

Keep in mind as part of the American Disabilites act of 1990, all mass transit agencies in America must provide service to the disability and people age 65 and over. Feel free guys to offer anything related to this very controversial topic.

Shortline Bus I am glad that you took the time to make a thread regarding this matter I didn't want to high jack the B37 thread but this is without a doubt a controversial topic it is shameful that New York City Transit continues to waste money and the (MTA) board continues to do nothing to overhaul the way the system is operated

Shortline Bus I am glad that you took the time to make a thread regarding this matter I didn't want to high jack the B37 thread but this is without a doubt a controversial topic it is shameful that New York City Transit continues to waste money and the (MTA) board continues to do nothing to overhaul the way the system is operated

So guys what you suggest? For starters i think access a ride needs to change it's fare policy and similar to a zone fare. Maybe for anywhere from within 5 miles of your home or place you picked up it's only the 1/2 fare price of currently $1.10. That includes a 'free transfer' to the nearest bus line or accessible subway station.

To go past 5 miles and anywhere in your boro it should be $5.75 and includes a free transfer to the nearest express bus to/from Manhattan.

And for outerboro trips it should be $20 and advance appointments of at least 24 hours in advance.

Not to mention get rid of mob-controlled and politically connected private companies runnning them and have them be controlled by the (MTA).

Just some of my takes.

And for outerboro trips it should be $20 and advance appointments of at least 24 hours in advance.

Not to mention get rid of mob-controlled and politically connected private companies runnning them and have them be controlled by the (MTA).

Just some of my takes.

You are right on the money anything out of the City limits should be charged at a higher fare and should be based on zone structure as it stands now the (MTA) and New York City Transit isn't pulling in what it should be with those trips to Yonkers Raceway at $2.25 per a head either kill the service to the Raceway or truncate the service to the border of the Bronx and Westchester and nagotiate with Beelines Paratransit System to transport them the rest of the way or charge a premium fare of $5.50-$6.00 I believe going to gamble is a luxury and there for should reflect that

If you are travelling within the Borough where your trip Originated you should still pay $2.25

if you are travelling outside of the Borough where your trip Originated you should pay 2 times the fare @ $4.50 per a trip bringing your total cost to $9.00 round trip

I believe this would deter people from abusing the Paratransit System It may sound radical but it is doable I know people would scream well what about the Senior Citizens they cant afford that they would still be charged $2.25 upon verification of age and furnishing their Identification to the Driver upon pick up regardless of which Borough they are going to

and it definitely reaks of Organized Crime I often wonder myself how the (MTA) doles out contracts worth millions to 17-24 contract companies with no oversight

You are right on the money anything out of the City limits should be charged at a higher fare and should be based on zone structure as it stands now the (MTA) and New York City Transit isn't pulling in what it should be with those trips to Yonkers Raceway at $2.25 per a head either kill the service to the Raceway or truncate the service to the border of the Bronx and Westchester and nagotiate with Beelines Paratransit System to transport them the rest of the way or charge a premium fare of $5.50-$6.00 I believe going to gamble is a luxury and there for should reflect that

If you are travelling within the Borough where your trip Originated you should still pay $2.25

if you are travelling outside of the Borough where your trip Originated you should pay 2 times the fare @ $4.50 per a trip bringing your total cost to $9.00 round trip

I believe this would deter people from abusing the Paratransit System It may sound radical but it is doable I know people would scream well what about the Senior Citizens they cant afford that they would still be charged to $2.25 upon verification of age and furnishing their Identification to the Driver upon pick up regardless of which Borough they are going to

and it definitely reaks of Organized Crime I often wonder myself how the (MTA) doles out contracts worth millions to 17-24 contract companies with no oversight

Great idea.:tup:

Archived