R142/3, R160

East New York

I started this thread just for the New Tech trains so I can learn more, and all with an opinion on these subjects are encouraged to post. Likes, and dislikes.

I was reading online that MTA rejected some 160 cars made at a Brazil factory for welding defects. Is this why the majority of the trains are being manufactured in New York? Is this why some of the trucks are cracking?

I think altsom made make their cars in brazil.And i think the kwasaki siemens R160s are having cracked trucks.

R160s-they are good cars so far

R143s-I dont really know about those cars.Because i dont ride the (L) line that often

R142s-I hate these trains with a passion.I dont dont feel like typing as to why i hate them.

R142A-same as R142s

Oh and small fact.Kawasaki has made some of every NTT car order.I just now noticed that LOL.

I think altsom made make their cars in brazil.And i think the kwasaki siemens R160s are having cracked trucks.

R143s-I dont really know about those cars.Because i dont ride the (L) line that often

R142s-I hate these trains with a passion.I dont dont feel like typing as to why i hate them.

R142A-same as R142s

Oh and small fact.Kawasaki has made some of every NTT car order.I just now noticed that LOL.

One of my brothers lives in Canarsie, so I frequent the (L). I guess thats why I like them so much. BTW, whats NTT? and as far as the 142's, before now I thought they were the same as the 143's. I just use to think it was just a (4) train thing. I guess that explains why the (4) has that jerk when they take off! It's not a smooth ride either.

One of my brothers lives in Canarsie, so I frequent the (L). I guess thats why I like them so much. BTW, whats NTT? and as far as the 142's, before now I thought they were the same as the 143's. I just use to think it was just a (4) train thing. I guess that explains why the (4) has that jerk when they take off! It's not a smooth ride either.

New

Tech

Trains

R142A-same as R142s

You "think" they are???B):rolleyes:

NTT = new tech trains.The R142A and the R143 have the same popusion sounds.And the all the R142/A jerk when leaving the station.

What are you reffering to? If you are reffering to the siemens R160 cracked truck comment.Somebody in a another thread said that there trucks were cracked.

Yeah it was sort of a joke..:cool::cool:

Siemens "issues" has been known since last month he just got his info a day late and a dollar short..

If this is true, so much for service increase, since those will be out for repairs........

No my friend the Siemens trains are for the South Only 5 car units..

They are for the (N)ovember and (W)iskey Lines, for now.

They have enough Slants and R40 Mods to cover for the time being..

No my friend the Siemens trains are for the South Only 5 car units..

They are for the (N)ovember and (W)iskey Lines, for now.

They have enough Slants and R40 Mods to cover for the time being..

Well then, the old dawgs live on. Not for nothing, I love the sound of the air brakes on the SMEE equipment. Luckily the R62, R62A, R68, and R68A have many moons to go before those newer old workhorses be put out to pasture.

Well then, the old dawgs live on. Not for nothing, I love the sound of the air brakes on the SMEE equipment. Luckily the R62, R62A, R68, and R68A have many moons to go before those newer old workhorses be put out to pasture.

That hissing sound that SMEE braking system make sounds awsome.

The R142: is an okay model. If I was a T/O I would operate it without hesitating.

The R142A: is the best train to operate for the A div. The sound she makes when accelerating just got me in love with it.B)

The R143: i dunno what (MTA) was thinking. It seem like a useless and pointless order.

The R160A/B: i have not been on this train long enough to judge it. But so far so good, even on the (N).

The welding defecs have nothing to do with the cracked Siemens trucks.

Those defects were discovered back in 2005 with the first few R160A car shells manufactured by ALSTOM (NOT Kawasaki!) in Brazil. The third world labor was to blame. The car shells for Alstom are built in Lapa, Brazil and finished in Hornell, NY IIRC. For Kawasaki I think the shells are made in Nebraska and finished in Yonkers.

The R160B Siemens propulsion trucks are cracking, apparently. The (MTA) and Siemens are working on this problem, or at least we hsould hope they are.

The R143: i dunno what (MTA) was thinking. It seem like a useless and pointless order.

The R143 order is a pre-requisite to the R160 order. Think of "R160" more as a contract number. Also the R143 was basically the BMT/IND version of the R142/A and helped the (MTA) get accustomed to new technology on the B division. Also, y7ards such as East NEw York now have experience with the R160 because they are so similar to the R143.

The R160B Siemens propulsion trucks are cracking, apparently. The (MTA) and Siemens are working on this problem, or at least we hsould hope they are.

Some might disagree with me, but 30 day testing doesn't work. Having the manufacturer test their own stuff doesn't work. In the future what MTA should do is know what needs replacing 5 years ahead. Get a model on the drawing board, select a manufacturer(s), and get them built within 2-3 years of whatever suppose to be retiring. During those 2 to 3 years, the new train (1 full set) should be tested in active revenue service vigorously. Any defects in those 2-3 years, have fixed and keep testing. In 2-3 years they should get all of the kinks out, know what sucks, what works, and then have a mass order of that equipment (with absolutely no changes, since now you will have new components to be on the look out for failing).

The R110A and R110B are prime examples of this. They are the predecessors of the NTT trains. Some things are the same, some are different. Test what you want for at least 2 years, get the kinks out, then order that product, with no changes made after the kinks are out.

Some might disagree with me, but 30 day testing doesn't work. Having the manufacturer test their own stuff doesn't work. In the future what MTA should do is know what needs replacing 5 years ahead. Get a model on the drawing board, select a manufacturer(s), and get them built within 2-3 years of whatever suppose to be retiring. During those 2 to 3 years, the new train (1 full set) should be tested in active revenue service vigorously. Any defects in those 2-3 years, have fixed and keep testing. In 2-3 years they should get all of the kinks out, know what sucks, what works, and then have a mass order of that equipment (with absolutely no changes, since now you will have new components to be on the look out for failing).

The R110A and R110B are prime examples of this. They are the predecessors of the NTT trains. Some things are the same, some are different. Test what you want for at least 2 years, get the kinks out, then order that product, with no changes made after the kinks are out.

That sounds feasible, so I would have to agree. Did they scrap the 110s?

Archived