Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

Unnecessary high-grade fuel contract for MTA derails taxpayer dollars

Shortline Bus

Unnecessary high-grade fuel contract for MTA derails taxpayer dollars

BY Pete Donohue

NY DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Friday, May 21st 2010

No wonder the MTA's fuel costs skyrocketed.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority's Bus Company spent millions on high-grade fuel rather than switching to a cheaper, lower-grade fuel to power the fleet, according to an audit by state Controller Thomas DiNapoli.

"They squandered more than $39 million of taxpayer dollars due to outdated, expensive contracts and delayed decision making," DiNapoli said.

The MTA revealed two years ago it got caught in a no-win, eleventh-hour contract negotiation with the fuel provider. Only one company bid for the business and imposed exorbitant rates to keep the fuel flowing to run buses.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2010/05/21/2010-05-21_contract_fuels_criticism_of_mta.html#ixzz0odZENFyb

With Cheaper fuel , There is A chance we could be doing more harm to buses in general .

By putting a cheaper grade in a car it does more harm down the road to the Engine Etc.

I have to use 93 Supreme for my car , If I use cheaper A Grade then she doesn't perform and I will do more harm down the road to her so High Grade is Essential to most Vehicles

Down the road more buses might be OS due to Engine probs by using cheaper Fuel

They should have gone with the cheap stuff Diesel Burns Slower and is different from regular gasoline but this is the money squandering (MTA) I guess spending more makes them feel good need someone remind them MONEY DOSEN'T GROW ON TREES

Once again we find more wasteful spending by the MTA, instead of using the cheaper fuel they use jet fuel for their buses. I wonder what smart remark Walder has say about this??. I want to hear his famous statements about efficiency and all that other BS he spews out his mouth.

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_news/nyc/mta-bought-jet-fuel-to-power-buses-20100520-lgf

Dont you know you cant believe everything you see on TV?

They are misleading everyone,, its not really jetfuel as they are making it out to be..its Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel which most newer engines will be requiring and is actually better than standard diesel and is mostly what is sold around the USA now.

They are misleading everyone,, its not really jetfuel as they are making it out to be..its Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel which most newer engines will be requiring and is actually better than standard diesel and is mostly what is sold around the USA now.

That being said, it causes less emissions, right?

A diesel bus costs less to maintain except for the MCIs...a bus driver out of Yukon I talked to this past Monday stated this as well. Hybrids costs more to maintain than a diesel bus. If anything the MTA should just revert to ordering clean-diesel fueled buses because the hybrids, IMO, are hurting their wallets.

That being said, it causes less emissions, right?

A diesel bus costs less to maintain except for the MCIs...a bus driver out of Yukon I talked to this past Monday stated this as well. Hybrids costs more to maintain than a diesel bus. If anything the MTA should just revert to ordering clean-diesel fueled buses because the hybrids, IMO, are hurting their wallets.

they should never have ordered hybrids buses to begin with. hybrid is still new technology and anything thats new obviously will be costly to buy and maintain.

they should never have ordered hybrids buses to begin with. hybrid is still new technology and anything thats new obviously will be costly to buy and maintain.

It was stupid for the MTA to order those D4500CTs. They had Orion 5s and RTS that were fine and they could have used them for express service for a few years and THEN order the MCIs as replacements at a later time.

Jet Fuel? Are you serious? Jet Fuel? They should never use jet fuel unless if it is needed for the bus fleet they operate, they should be using CNG Fuel, Diesel Fuel or whatever fuel the bus is designed for. But if the Jet Fuel is seriously a great fuel and would be better to a bus than the others, then use it to save costs on bus fix-uppers.

Can you please stay the hell out of this section with your BRAIN DEAD responses. Thank you.

Lol at the (MTA) paying for quality when they can't afford it. And I knew those friggin' hybrids are no good. Hybrids are only good for smaller transit systems, IMO, if they cost more to maintain than a diesel-powered bus! Damn!

What year did the MTA get its first hybrid bus? 1998? The average nyc transit bus puts on about 2,400 miles a month. A transit bus minimum life span is 12 years. Just about half of the bus fleet are hybrids by now right?

I agree with you, thanks FOX5 for there hard lazy work for not checking their sources up.

It was stupid for the MTA to order those D4500CTs. They had Orion 5s and RTS that were fine and they could have used them for express service for a few years and THEN order the MCIs as replacements at a later time.

That because in MTA defense, they wanted more seats in Express buses and fuel efficient running on expressway.

Here we are in 2010, if you stand near the entrances in Brooklyn Battery Tunnel or Queensboro Bridge...empty seats... lots of them. Fare is still low on Express buses that is not even worth operating cost.

What year did the MTA get its first hybrid bus? 1998? The average nyc transit bus puts on about 2,400 miles a month. A transit bus minimum life span is 12 years. Just about half of the bus fleet are hybrids by now right?

The first hybrid bus fleet was an Orion VI. They were all (10 buses) retired in around 2005 or so. They were replaced by a "more efficient" vehicle, Orion VII.

the fuel story is old news; i remember reading about this late last year that ta got locked into the higher rate because they purchased it earlier............

Daily News did this story two times to uncover the contracts, last year and 2008 with the fuel prices were sky high and they do it again to bring back old news when Pete already realized the contracts were a bit exceeding to get the fuel for buses. MTA had to realized they need a lower rate.

FOX5 and Daily News probably need some milk money to cover their family.

Archived