MTA's OT tab driven to a sky-high $560M by subway, bus workers taking 'mental-health

Harry

A quarter of bus and subway workers took more than two weeks worth of sick days last year - driving the MTA's overtime bill into the stratosphere, officials said Thursday.

Abuse helped inflate the Metropolitan Transportation Authority's annual overtime tab to $560million.

Officials complained that outdated work rules and lax managers also are boosting crippling costs.

"Some overtime is needed to put out a reliable service and respond to emergencies," said MTA Chief Operating Officer Charles Monheim.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2010/05/21/2010-05-21_mtas_sick_use_of_cash_agencys_ot_tab_driven_to_a_skyhigh_560m_by_workers_taking_.html#ixzz0oZDHb5gV

post-1-133288582047_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288582047_thumb.jpg

Sick time is there to be used if you need it and if we don't take the sick time then we loose those days and don't get paid for them so if you gotta go out for being sick or what ever reason then by all means due so.

No we are well paid white collar workers who all have BMW's and 5 bedroom houses..

We arent supposed to book sick since we make so much money and work in such healthy conditions..

No we are well paid white collar workers who all have BMW's and 5 bedroom houses..

We arent supposed to book sick since we make so much money and work in such healthy conditions..

Being fair, while no doubt a few (MTA) 'blue collar' workers does abuse the system of 'sick days', why is there not a story of some 'white collar' MTA execs at either Madison Ave or 2 Broadway doing the same thing? Lets be fair.:tdown:

As a whole some employees are more healthy than others and hardly never need a ''sick day' so some form of changes ie new contract/rules on that issue for both the Management and workers needs to be made in the next CBA contract imo. I am not a labor expert so i won't offer suggestions on this.

And RTO Man i criticize both upper management at the TWU & other (MTA) unions and (MTA) execs at the Chairman's office and the board as well when needed so i have not changed my takes and 'kissed up' to the TWU.

And RTO Man i criticize both upper management at the TWU & other unions and execs at the Chairman's office and the board as well when needed so i have not changed my takes and 'kissed up' to the TWU.

I did not say otherwise nor do i care. :)

Maybe because there are more blue collar people on the pay roll, and thier absense has a more direct effect on the operation of the system.

im tellin ya they should start hiring off the transit forums lol then they wont have to worry bout people cuttin work anymore...

im tellin ya they should start hiring off the transit forums lol then they wont have to worry bout people cuttin work anymore...
Highly unlikely,just wait til you get the job and something you want to do really badly happens to fall on the night you are working the hawk or you have family coming in to spend the holiday with you and you have to work because you are at the bottom of the list.

Highly unlikely,just wait til you get the job and something you want to do really badly happens to fall on the night you are working the hawk or you have family coming in to spend the holiday with you and you have to work because you are at the bottom of the list.

But that's the risk you take when yu get a job with transit.

Sick time is there to be used if you need it and if we don't take the sick time then we loose those days and don't get paid for them so if you gotta go out for being sick or what ever reason then by all means due so.

KR, You work for the (MTA) right. Then you know our time carry over from year to year. I my self had to use 12 sick days last Nov. After getting beet up on my way to work on an NJT bus. I Eye was bested open and I looked like a boxer after a fight he lost.

KR, You work for the (MTA) right. Then you know our time carry over from year to year. I my self had to use 12 sick days last Nov. After getting beet up on my way to work on an NJT bus. I Eye was bested open and I looked like a boxer after a fight he lost.

Yeah, so now all of a sudden an employee is a bad guy when he needs more than 12 sick days in a year?

The time accluminates over the years. I have over 200 in the bank. Suppose I need more than 12 in a year due to surgery, for example? I'm a bad guy? I needed 3 months one time a few years ago. Prendergrass (sp?) made a blanket statement about "mental health" and as a person who has used sick time prudently I resent this wholeheartedly. He has kicked me in the balls. Don't compare me to the 25%.

Finally because of certain medications we may need on occasion, since we are subject to random testing, something I'm sure he is not subject to, we can't work because if we are called for a random we fail! Something that is completely forgotten about.

Because of this 25%, this guy will make it more difficult for people like me to take legitimate sick time. The good employee always gets screwed. That's the MTA/NYCT way.

Yeah, so now all of a sudden an employee is a bad guy when he needs more than 12 sick days in a year?

The time accluminates over the years. I have over 200 in the bank. Suppose I need more than 12 in a year due to surgery, for example? I'm a bad guy? I needed 3 months one time a few years ago. Prendergrass (sp?) made a blanket statement about "mental health" and as a person who has used sick time prudently I resent this wholeheartedly. He has kicked me in the balls. Don't compare me to the 25%.

Finally because of certain medications we may need on occasion, since we are subject to random testing, something I'm sure he is not subject to, we can't work because if we are called for a random we fail! Something that is completely forgotten about.

Because of this 25%, this guy will make it more difficult for people like me to take legitimate sick time. The good employee always gets screwed. That's the MTA/NYCT way.

If feel for you Bill. I dont know the answer as i am not a labor expert but it's unfair to transit employees who really do need 'legit' time for medical issues. Meanwhile a few handful employees does abuse 'sick' time off and take a vaction to Las Vegas or Disney World. I also did not like how the current (NYCT) boss made such a blanket statement to indict all of the union as no doubt this is a pr war/semi cba contract talks in public being frank, to make people like Bill look bad for the few cheats in the system.

On the other hand i am sure the (MTA) management looks the other way when a few managers take excessive time for 'sick days' as well.

Yet the TWU exces imo will still defend the 'cheats' and not take the side and be more vocal to the mostly honest and fair union members who play the system/cba rules the correct way.

I know probably a TWU member may want to disagree on what i just said but that the way I feel and call it. Just like how much such union members should pay for health care insurance, the issue of overtime/sick days needs to be reformed.

Of coruse you are Bill you didnt see the memo they have out now?

I said watch for these low lifes to start airing stuff to the press and that is exactly what they are doing.

What the hell....? If I had heard about this sooner... -reveals arsenal of baseball bats-

What is wrong with people these days?

What the hell....? If I had heard about this sooner... -reveals arsenal of baseball bats-

What is wrong with people these days?

No that was not the way to go in this case,if it was it whould have been DONE a long time ago.

Archived