Q58 Limited

Kamen Rider

Oh, wow, finally. I still would rather have a branch of it cut across Eliot and Horace Harding.

Just like the 38 (How's that been working), I didn't think LTD would really help with all the traffic on a rather narrow street.

Oh, wow, finally. I still would rather have a branch of it cut across Eliot and Horace Harding.

Just like the 38 (How's that been working), I didn't think LTD would really help with all the traffic on a rather narrow street.

Or this crap the Q58 limited does not run midday(weekday lunch hours) at all? Give me a break. I think the Q58 will be the only full time 'limited' (running 6-7 days a week)in entire (MTA) Bus or (NYCT) fleet with no midday service weekdays.

Has the (MTA) not heard of 1/2 days especially the last day before a holiday ie July 4th, Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Years when people get out of work or school early?:)

Only with the (MTA) where no common sense occurs.:confused:

I am against a Q58 limited. And have been in the past. I am also against these fancy reroutes I have seen on this board and BusChat because there is a lot of turnover on that route from end to end. Any scheme like this takes service away from customers along the current route.

On the Manhattan express routes the limited can get into a left lane and pass the locals, same goes for the B38 on the one way streets of Dekalb and Lafayette Avenues. You don't have this on the Q58 except on 108 St. and College Point Blvd. The limited CAN pass the locals on places like FP Rd. you say at a local bus stop? First, most of the time they can't get into the bus stop because it's blocked, second if its' not blocked and the local can pull in the limited will let him back out into traffic out of courtesy because most car and truck drivers don't give buses a break into getting out of bus stops back into traffic.

The limited stop at Flushing/Fresh Pond should be relocated to 64th/Grand for better access to the Q59 and the last stop of the B57.

There are heavy traffic conditions Main St. bound along FP Rd. approaching Met. Ave. and Flushing/Grand Ave's. all the way from the turn off FP Rd. to the LIE. You have this senario: a Limited stuck in this traffic at a local stop and not allowed to open his doors. The potential "customers" will BANG on the doors, worse case senario a large group will stand in front of the bus preventing it from moving. Don't think these passengers won't do this kind of thing because they never know if there will be room for them on the next local and when it will show up!

All this to save 4 or 5 minutes end to end? All NYCT knows is at the end of the day they can save 30 minutes run pay for an operator, sure it adds up!

What is needed is additional running time to compensate for traffic and more importantly more recovery time at the end points so if a bus is late, it has a better chance of leaving on time or not as late. The biggest problem with the Q58 has always been the inability to "catch up" after a long delay. That ride along the LIE from 108 St. to CP Blvd. could be the biggest killer.

I stand 100% behind the statements made in this post. Let NYCT try Limited Stops on the Q58. I hope it works for them. I'm just not optimistic of it being a cure.

I am against a Q58 limited. And have been in the past. I am also against these fancy reroutes I have seen on this board and BusChat because there is a lot of turnover on that route from end to end. Any scheme like this takes service away from customers along the current route.

On the Manhattan express routes the limited can get into a left lane and pass the locals, same goes for the B38 on the one way streets of Dekalb and Lafayette Avenues. You don't have this on the Q58 except on 108 St. and College Point Blvd. The limited CAN pass the locals on places like FP Rd. you say at a local bus stop? First, most of the time they can't get into the bus stop because it's blocked, second if its' not blocked and the local can pull in the limited will let him back out into traffic out of courtesy because most car and truck drivers don't give buses a break into getting out of bus stops back into traffic.

The limited stop at Flushing/Fresh Pond should be relocated to 64th/Grand for better access to the Q59 and the last stop of the B57.

There are heavy traffic conditions Main St. bound along FP Rd. approaching Met. Ave. and Flushing/Grand Ave's. all the way from the turn off FP Rd. to the LIE. You have this senario: a Limited stuck in this traffic at a local stop and not allowed to open his doors. The potential "customers" will BANG on the doors, worse case senario a large group will stand in front of the bus preventing it from moving. Don't think these passengers won't do this kind of thing because they never know if there will be room for them on the next local and when it will show up!

All this to save 4 or 5 minutes end to end? All NYCT knows is at the end of the day they can save 30 minutes run pay for an operator, sure it adds up!

What is needed is additional running time to compensate for traffic and more importantly more recovery time at the end points so if a bus is late, it has a better chance of leaving on time or not as late. The biggest problem with the Q58 has always been the inability to "catch up" after a long delay. That ride along the LIE from 108 St. to CP Blvd. could be the biggest killer.

I stand 100% behind the statements made in this post. Let NYCT try Limited Stops on the Q58. I hope it works for them. I'm just not optimistic of it being a cure.

Bill you make some excellent points on the possible reasons a Q58 limited could fail. With that said, it worth a shot.

And regarding the Q58 route i never could understand the zip-zag route in Ridgewood and also along Corona Ave/108th St./LIE between Queens Blvd and CP Blvd.

I agree with Eric, the Q58 should be split into '2' routes. The main Q58 24/7 route would operate 'local' on it's current route.

While a new "Q98' route would run similar to the Q58 but Main St bound would go a new route as a 'semi-limited. So this is what i would propose.

The hours of a new Q98 would be weekdays 6am-11pm, Saturdays 7am-10pm and Sundays 8am-9pm.

Main St-bound. "Limited stop' version of Q58, along same route until Fresh Pond/Eliot.

Eliot, Woodhaven, eastbound on Queens Blvd., Junction blvd, Hoarce Harding/LIE Sevice Road Eastbound, College Point, Roosevelt and terminal at Main St (7) terminal.

Reactions?

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DMD64) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

To address the crowding on FP Rd, my suggestions also always included moving the new route to Forest, where it would pick up Eliot right where it merges into Metropolitan.

I also noticed on the pdf map, that there is no limited stop Ridgewood bound on FP at Putnam.

(L)TD Q58 wow now that's some news to me

This route from Main to Ridgewood term is A Good Hour plus in some cases

also you could take A good Nap .

What would some limited stops be cuz Elmhurst alone is narrow with traffic also corona hmmm

I need to see this for myself cuz I still can't blv that the

Q25/65 has LTD's and our Q66 still don't also the B38 LTD

a other route that I never seen coming with LTD svc

Dekalb from Grover Clvn HS always gets backed up but Im assuming it's working

Fancy reroutes?

Well hell, I'm not gonna sit here & be some sort of traditionalist; there are routes in the system that could use modernizing... keep things the way they are & watch more bus routes deplenish due to ppl. indirectly being forced to ride the higher ridership routes in their neighborhood... b/c current routes w/ lesser ridership are slowly being phased out somehow (like the whole scenario down there in SW Brooklyn).... but this thread isn't about that....

Cutting routes & adding LTD's to others that don't need them... I'm not in favor of that at all.... The implementation of the Q36 LTD to this day I still cannot fathom..... at least the Bx36 & the B38 LTD's made *some* iota of sense..... Some.

Now they're gonna put ltd's on the Q58 & the B82?

Bill from Maspeth already broke down the Q58... I'm gonna do the route I love to hate. The B82.

The mta knows they f**ked up w/ the B82... ask any starrett city/spring creek resident waiting along Penn. how many B83's they have to see go past before a 82 shows up.... ask those same riders how long it takes to get to the (L) train station for a 2-3 mile trek... buses crawl b/w starrett & "around midwood" b/c they have to conserve fuel???? I was like WTF when a b/o actually said that.... this isn't nascar (lol).... but I suppose the quick fix is to, yeah, add LTD's... that'll solve that problem...

And on the other end of that route, there are more ppl that use the "intermediate" stops (stops b/w major xfer points) in CI, Bensonhurst, Bath Beach, etc... so those ppl are pretty much screwed, b/c they'll have to wait longer for a "local" (b/c they sure as hell aren't adding service), and current headways on the 82 are not that low, compared to most routes that travel such a "long distance".... and yes, even on top of THAT, service b/w 25/cropsey & Stillwell is sparse enough as it is (it's suppose to be every other B82 that runs to CI, but that is not true)..... Once again, LTD's will rectify that too, I guess....

I see a disturbing trend....

if this keeps up, every route in the system that falls in the upper echelon of ridership figures, will all have limited's added to them... I've put up w/ a useless ltd in this neighborhood a.k.a. the B35 LTD for 5 years now.... I can only imagine the headache Q58 riders will have to go through when this happens....

I have a feeling this Q58 LTD will fail

Same here. Similar to the Bx36's LTD/Local situation, most of the riders come from local, intermediate stops, resulting in many of them getting left behind as LTD's whisk through them.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

what's next for ltd? a Q30,31

Q76,77 well the Q40 could use a limited and perhaps a Q60 ltd.

Same here. Similar to the Bx36's LTD/Local situation, most of the riders come from local, intermediate stops, resulting in many of them getting left behind as LTD's whisk through them.

The problem is that a good portion of the time savings come from not having to stop and pick up all of those passengers. Unfortunately, all of those passengers are inconvenienced.

• 4 months later...

well to all yall naysayers saying the Q58 isnt going to work, well it is......1st of all it has no timepoints to worry about....just a leave time.....2nd of all the customers love the faster rider that they have experienced versus the slow local....and 3rd i was surprised how fast the customers caught on to the ltd....the traffic isnt that bad....and i as an operator, love it

well to all yall naysayers saying the Q58 isnt going to work, well it is......1st of all it has no timepoints to worry about....just a leave time.....2nd of all the customers love the faster rider that they have experienced versus the slow local....and 3rd i was surprised how fast the customers caught on to the ltd....the traffic isnt that bad....and i as an operator, love it

The limiteds are running at under capacity and the locals are running over crowded.

On first day, when I took Q58 LTD Northbound and got stop at red light at Broadway/Corona Av, waiting for green light to turn right, one of Chinese lady at that local stop, hit the front door, even with B/O showing "Limited" sign, that lady still didn't get it.

I agree Q58 LTD is success.

At some few days I helped at Junction Blvd/Corona Av while waiting for Q72 bus.

Well, why would you come on here & say the Q58ltd was a failure, if it so happened to actually be a failure....

Despite that, everything you're bringing up, of course you as a driver won't have any gripes about it... you're making less stops, dealing with less people...

Speaking of which, I'm gonna touch on that... The limited's are supposed to work in conjunction with the locals... I see a bit of seperate, but equal thing going on, with what I've seen w/ Q58 LTD's vs the locals...

let's see how many more people get hip to the Q58 LTD... and when that happens, since it's dealing with the same traffic that the local does (love how you try to make it sound otherwise btw)....

I'm sure you'll be here to post with that same energy you used to come on here boasting, with that of complete & utter disdain when limiteds start taking on more people/stop....

Archived