LGA depot maintenance?

Bracamonte

Its been four years since MTA Bus took over Triboro Coach and its depot was renamed LGA. Before that, maintenance was completely downhill. Has maintenance at LGA improved or remained the same? Not to mention today I saw a tow truck towing a Orion VII back to LGA depot.

It has improved since MTA Bus took over as every piece of equipment got changed rather quickly. But a trend is developing, a disturbing one which is not the complete fault of the depot. It is the deplorable condition of the roads in this part of Queens. I ride the Q39 to work in the morning and usually take the Q67 home. The buses are beat to death, especially the OG hybrids and sadly, already, the ex Bee Line Orion V's. There are so many pot holes, uneven roadways and sunken manholes that it is "killing" the suspensions on the equipment. Now you can make the argument this condition exists throughout Queens, but since my primary bus riding is in the part of Queens.............

It has improved since MTA Bus took over as every piece of equipment got changed rather quickly. But a trend is developing, a disturbing one which is not the complete fault of the depot. It is the deplorable condition of the roads in this part of Queens. I ride the Q39 to work in the morning and usually take the Q67 home. The buses are beat to death, especially the OG hybrids and sadly, already, the ex Bee Line Orion V's. There are so many pot holes, uneven roadways and sunken manholes that it is "killing" the suspensions on the equipment. Now you can make the argument this condition exists throughout Queens, but since my primary bus riding is in the part of Queens.............

JFK Orion Vll starting to look like they've been through alot too.

LaGuardia is like Flatbush...imo, two piece of crap depots that can't maintain their buses for nothing.

Time out,You can't compare Flatbush to LGA.....Flatbush is a decent depot.

JFK Orion Vll starting to look like they've been through alot too.

He doesn't consider FLAT a decent depot. He get very upset with anybody who claims so.

The other day I ride an OG Orion VII on the Q39. I really thought that the front axle was going to break! Again I blame it on the lousy streets in Queens and the depot just can't keep up with the problems caused by it.

LaGuardia is like Flatbush...imo, two piece of crap depots that can't maintain their buses for nothing.

WTF is this about? You are the 3rd person here that has been blaming Flatbush depot. And for what? Where's your basis their buses are shit like you say it is? Do I go around talking shit about whatever home depot you use?

Seriously I don't understand why there are some people here that has to talk about that depot like that. I understand it ain't the best like MJQ, but good god, what the hell is with all this venom towards it?

I just don't understand these haters. It's like they are targeting that depot outta nowhere. I understand if it was like ENY*, but FB? Come on....

*due to the then 8600 and 8700 RTSs. But overall I think ENY is pretty good now. I do like the ex-Grand Av OG hybrids.

I can't say I agree with that one either. Now LGA is much better now than it used to be, but Flatbush doesn't even compare to me. I've been on well over 50% of Flatbush's RTS' and 95% of then ran just fine. Even when they had a small batch of some of the last '91 TMC's, I thought they were well taken care of.

I just don't understand these haters. It's like they are targeting that depot outta nowhere. I understand if it was like ENY, but FB? Come on....

Any what's so bad about ENY? Their maintenance is great! They just have a problem keeping the exterior of their buses looking good.

He doesn't consider FLAT a decent depot. He get very upset with anybody who claims so.

The other day I ride an OG Orion VII on the Q39. I really thought that the front axle was going to break! Again I blame it on the lousy streets in Queens and the depot just can't keep up with the problems caused by it.

That was Brain aka 33rd st who keep on bashing Flatbush on subchat,because they destroy 1999 Nova RTS's and gave MJQ to fix them up.

And I don't blame him about hating what FB did with the 5200s, but they were at ENY first before being sent to FB. But to make that a basis for hating a depot makes no sense at all. The 3900s sent to MJQ were still fine as they were a year old and started at only FB.

I can't say I agree with that one either. Now LGA is much better now than it used to be, but Flatbush doesn't even compare to me. I've been on well over 50% of Flatbush's RTS' and 95% of then ran just fine. Even when they had a small batch of some of the last '91 TMC's, I thought they were well taken care of.

The 8400 RTSs all ran fine, but when they were pushed out by the 4200 NGs, they just started to disappear almost instantly.

The 9600s were always nice rides and I like the ex-MJQ RTSs as well.

Flatbush is a great bus depot. People sometimes base their opinions on one batch of buses (I understand the 99 novas sent to MJQ). For example, when GA opened and KB sent their 96 novas to FP, I even hated the condition. I didn't however bash KB. There are so many factors that go into maintenance. Conditions of the streets, overcrowding at the depot, the elementary, private, charter, junior high school and high students, the passengers and other factors that go into maintenance that can make things very difficult. And for depots, if they have to send out buses everyday, particularly in the AM, a specific fix or a problem may not be corrected. Its like when people bash Jamaica Yard when in fact, it has two of the toughest lines (E,F), no room in the yard, and most cars layed up in the tunnel overnight. Of course during the course of the day, the cars will be dirty, vandalized, etc because of those factors, not necessarily that the maintenance is bad. People have to consider a variety of factors as to why something happens and not simply make assumptions.

Wait a minute, How is Flatbush a piece of crap depot? It was thanks to those buses that the B46 is the #1 line of 2009. Flatbush kept those ex-MJQ RTSs in great....GREAT shape, especially my favorite, 5204! I see Flatbush being in top tier with East New York. Ulmer Park IN MY OPINION is worse than Flatbush because they ALREADY DESTROYED a ZF Transmission from bus 5075, which is now an Allison Transmission, luckily I got a video of 5075 with its ZF Transmission months before. Flatbush kept those buses in FANTASTIC shape till Ulmer Park got their hands on them.

That was Brain aka 33rd st who keep on bashing Flatbush on subchat,because they destroy 1999 Nova RTS's and gave MJQ to fix them up.

That ******* needs to shut the **** up because he has not fanned/rode on Flatbush buses enough back in the day to judge those buses as much as I have along with a good amount of bus buffs. The way he likes to bitch, cry and moan about shit is as if he is like the Riverdale residents. He also likes to throw his "accomplishments" at people like if anyone cares about it and he cant even prove some of the things he says. He even says he hates NGs but he said, and I quote "Had an awesome ride on 3910". Now tell me, how much sense does that make? He needs to shut the **** up because he's like Governor Paterson, they both are full of shit. And I already know someone is going to show him this post lololololol.

WTF is this about? You are the 3rd person here that has been blaming Flatbush depot. And for what? Where's your basis their buses are shit like you say it is? Do I go around talking shit about whatever home depot you use?

Seriously I don't understand why there are some people here that has to talk about that depot like that. I understand it ain't the best like MJQ, but good god, what the hell is with all this venom towards it?

Its when people hear shit or hate on a depot over the littlest of things, like messed up fareboxes and messy interiors/exteriors, I mean come the **** on, EVERY OTHER DEPOT have those issues even MJQ, and I live near a majority of MJQ routes and I see and ride some messed up buses, even those that are not even ex-Flatbush like the 8900s & 9200s. People make it sound as if those little shit problems affect the bus's performance, which it does not. I've only been a busfan for about 2 years and I can tell whats major and whats not major in terms of problems.

I just don't understand these haters. It's like they are targeting that depot outta nowhere. I understand if it was like ENY*, but FB? Come on....

*due to the then 8600 and 8700 RTSs. But overall I think ENY is pretty good now. I do like the ex-Grand Av OG hybrids.

I used to bash ENY but now I'm taking that back. I had an AWESOME ride on 5001 on the B15, the driver sucked but the bus sounded really really good. Though I must admit, ENY's 8600s were no good.

Any what's so bad about ENY? Their maintenance is great! They just have a problem keeping the exterior of their buses looking good.

Appearance wise back then, some of their buses had JFK's exterior looks, but the way those buses ran and sound have surpassed my expectations. East New York Depot has improved over the months and I take back everything I said about that depot.

And I don't blame him about hating what FB did with the 5200s, but they were at ENY first before being sent to FB. But to make that a basis for hating a depot makes no sense at all. The 3900s sent to MJQ were still fine as they were a year old and started at only FB.

The 8400 RTSs all ran fine, but when they were pushed out by the 4200 NGs, they just started to disappear almost instantly.

The 9600s were always nice rides and I like the ex-MJQ RTSs as well.

Take it from someone who actually rode on a bunch of these ex-Flatbush RTSs including the few 8400s that came here including 8411, and I'm not a fan of the 8400s but that one got me off guard. Personally, I LOVE THESE BEASTS! They run hard and sound good all at once, I got a ton of recordings of these buses and holy shit man, just listen to this clip and hear for yourself.

I only have one little tiff with these RTSs, its the goddamned Twinvision LEDs, those LEDS have got to go, I dont care how bright they are, they screw up a lot more than the current TITAN/Horizon LEDs. Other than that, I approve of these RTSs!

Now listen. I've said this before and I'll say it again, DO NOT judge a bus or a depot just because of what other people say, get your ass on a bus and ride it for yourself. Dont hate on a depot over some little shit like broken/screwed up fareboxes or all that other little shit that anyone can care less about, there's bigger issues about a bus than that. And dont listen to what other people have to say about a depot because they will obviously be biased bastards and always bash a depot for all the wrong reasons.

If Flatbush wasnt a good depot, the B46 would have never made it to #1, beating the M15 for top ridership. Now tell me, how much sense does that make to bash Flatbush depot like that yet one of their best lines is #1 in top ridership? That alone says that their maintenance is top tier material.

There's my 2 cents of the day.

Thanks for backing me up Shane :tup: Totally agreed.

FB has 3 high demand routes [b46, B41, B44 in that order] and they are very long in length. So it's not FB's fault they have such demanding lines. Keeping those routes flowing smoothly would be too much for a lesser depot.

ENY's 4900-5000s are great, I enjoyed my rides on those buses.

FB should've sent some 9600s to Ulmer, it is a shame about Ulmer not being able to properly maintain those ZF RTS buses.

Shane, let me put it this way...I've been on the B46 countless times in the past week and they destroyed my MetroCard cuz their readers are jacked up...and on one of those occasions it was a one-day UNLIMITED!!! Keeping your fareboxes clean counts as basic maintenance. I've been on every other bus route other than Flatbush-based routes and they never misread my cards the day I bought an unlimited I was all over Staten Island and I took the B46 home the same day...I gave my mom the unlimited so she could get on the train and it wouldn't read. She thought I gave her a bad card but I didn't...the farebox from the B46 that screwed up my card.

I'll still give Flatbush the benefit of the doubt but I'm not convinced right now. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

FB should've sent some 9600s to Ulmer, it is a shame about Ulmer not being able to properly maintain those ZF RTS buses.

The only good thing I'll say about Ulmer Park is that the 9200s and some of the 87s and 91s are good, their MCIs are top notch, thats probably the best fleet of buses they have in that depot.....much like LGA.....

FB has 3 high demand routes [b46, B41, B44 in that order] and they are very long in length. So it's not FB's fault they have such demanding lines. Keeping those route flowing would be too much for a lesser depot.

ENY's 4900-5000s are great, I enjoyed my rides on those buses.

Those ZF's should have never left Flatbush in the first place!

Shane, let me put it this way...I've been on the B46 countless times in the past week and they destroyed my MetroCard cuz their readers are jacked up...and on one of those occasions it was a one-day UNLIMITED!!! Keeping your fareboxes clean counts as basic maintenance. I've been on every other bus route other than Flatbush-based routes and they never misread my cards the day I bought an unlimited I was all over Staten Island and I took the B46 home the same day...I gave my mom the unlimited so she could get on the train and it wouldn't read. She thought I gave her a bad card but I didn't...the farebox from the B46 that screwed up my card.

I'll still give Flatbush the benefit of the doubt but I'm not convinced right now. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

I feel you on the farebox thing, but the main argument here is about the buses themselves. True everything on or in the bus is a part of maintenance, but as far as maintaining the actuial buses themselves..... Flatbush is in the top, and my second favorite depot in Brooklyn. (I haven't been to Grand Ave yet) I've rode the B41, 44, and 46 countless times, and about 75% of the time it was strictly to ride one of their RTS' instead of the subway. The 46 is my favorite route of all, with the 7 coming in at #2, and the M15 at #3.

I've been riding the B41 for almost 5 years now and I can say that the worst that's happen to me is a read error on a metrocard and after a few dips, the b/o just waved me in. If a farebox is a reason you are pissed off, then don't let that one time sour your thoughts on FB as a whole. It could've happened to any depot.

Far Rock had a few hybrids where their fare machines didn't work and I had a free ride. So again, broken fareboxes can happen to any depot.

The only good thing I'll say about Ulmer Park is that the 9200s and some of the 87s and 91s are good, their MCIs are top notch, thats probably the best fleet of buses they have in that depot.....much like LGA.....

Yeah, those buses are pretty good. I do like the 9300 and 9400 buses to an extent. I miss them when they were still at Flatbush and sadly were sent over to SI. If there was hate to be thrown around, it should've been at the SI depots. But thankfully both of them have improved a lot. Especially ever since the NGs started heading there so they have new buses than to 'trash' other depots' buses.

No its not, thats the MTA in itself, if the farebox screws up, its their fault, not the depots, as the fareboxes gets delivered to the depot and installed on the bus the way it is, if it gets screwed up, its the MTA's fault because they would have to get another good working farebox from somewhere else, and THAT has nothing to do with their buses as that is a farebox issues that is caused by the programming, NOT the bus. I've been on every other bus in depots and I've had my metrocards screwed up too, its not just Flatbush that has that issue.

Prime example, months ago when Gun Hill got their first batch of NGs, I got on 4043 and my card got screwed up from the farebox. And these fareboxes were NEW!, some were raggedy but the one I dipped my card in was new. That wasnt a big issue at all and it also proves that its not just Flatbush that have those issues.

A screwed up farebox is a small issue, if their buses have...lets say....axle problems or transmission problems or something thats actually major, then its actually accounted for, but a screwed up farebox does not affect how a bus looks, runs or performs so thats small potatoes. And if your card does screw up, mail that bitch in to the MTA with the receipt.

A-'Friggen'-men.

As far as the worst thing that's happened to a FB bus was a 9600 [i was not on this bus, it was already on Kings Highway where I was just walking up to the stop] where the w/c lift was stuck in the lift position causing it to be taken out of service.

This is another reason why I understand why the MTA wants to go more towards the lf route. There is just a ramp that can also be worked manually so there won't be a need to stop the bus to work the hydrolic lift. Which can eat up a lot of power [an 8300 RTS from Far Rock had to be restarted twice for the lift to work].

But again, this was 1 time out of the several 'hundreds' of rides I've been on these past few years.

A-'Friggen'-men.

As far as the worst thing that's happened to a FB bus was a 9600 [i was not on this bus, it was already on Kings Highway where I was just walking up to the stop] where the w/c lift was stuck in the lift position causing it to be taken out of service. This is another reason why I understand why the MTA wants to go more towards the lf route as there is just a ramp that can also be worked manually so there won't be a need to stop the bus to work the hydrolic lift which can eat up a lot of power [an 8300 RTS from Far Rock had to be restarted twice for the lift to work].

But again, this was 1 time out of the several 'hundreds' of rides I've been on these past few years.

Mmmm, my bad experience with a FB bus was about a year ago. I, along with my dad had gotten on 9172 on the B41 from Kings Plaza and it broke down, coincidentally 3 blocks from the depot. Bus wouldnt be start up on its own nor could it have been jump started. Hopped on 8862 and she flew down the street.

Archived