L train technology headed for No. 7?

Trainspotter

No. 7 line riders in the upcoming years may be able to tell when their trains are arriving under a proposal to be unveiled Wednesday to install electronic signs on platforms, according to transit officials familiar with the plan.

The computer-based technology, which is already rolling out on the L line, would eventually lead to trains being largely guided by computers, thereby allowing them to run closer together.

The train communication system for the No. 7 line is part of a preliminary five-year capital plan the Metropolitan Transportation Authority is releasing today to its board. No further details of the proposal were available Tuesday.

The capital plan contains about $30 billion in projects that would expand the system and maintain it, transit sources said. The plan proposes to move forward with the agency¹s mega construction projects, including beginning the second phase of the Second Avenue Subway.

The MTA board is set to approve a finalized plan in March and will submit it to a state review board for approval.

oh god, i can imagine how this will be...

the trains on the 7 line are already way too close, sometimes there can be 2-3 trains literally back to back between a station!

why would they want the trains to be even closer? i think they should space out the trains instead.

also why is the MTA so obsessed with this new computer driving trains thing? i prefer my trains being operated by actual human beings, not C++ or whatever programming they use

oh god, i can imagine how this will be...

the trains on the 7 line are already way too close, sometimes there can be 2-3 trains literally back to back between a station!

why would they want the trains to be even closer? i think they should space out the trains instead.

also why is the MTA so obsessed with this new computer driving trains thing? i prefer my trains being operated by actual human beings, not C++ or whatever programming they use

That's only during rush hour, and at busy express stations. Even at rush hour you can wait a while for a 7 train to arrive at a local station. This is also because a significant part of the line is two-tracked, and adding more service would mean that bottlenecks could occur at Queensboro Plaza.

And error I thought you were in 9th grade? Less space in between trains means you have to wait less for a train to arrive. You could have figured that out.

Also computers are more efficient then humans in certain cases. Theo nly problem is that the MTA will have a lot of trouble programming them right so they actually work properly.

The whole when the next train is going to arrive display is going to be a waste because you can always see the next (7) train a station away. Or if you can't see it, just sit there for a minute and you'll get your train.

That's good! For once people will stop leaning over the platforms. Nah, who the hell am I kidding. That will never stop.

That's good! For once people will stop leaning over the platforms. Nah, who the hell am I kidding. That will never stop.

I'm guilty of doing it sometimes, but I look around make sure ppl aren't really too close around me, and make sure I hear the train coming if its right there. At an HBLR station, you might think I'm crazy sometimes!

IMO the 7 Line doesn't need CBTC. Trains have 90 second headways as it is. Its bad for the T/Os because you can never go full speed and you always have to deal with Yellow aspects instead of green all the way. Its a pain in the ass for T/Os. You got crews running from the Larry as it is.

The system telling you how long it takes for the next train to arrive is closely linked to CBTC.

Converting the (7) to CBTC also means moving the R142s over to the Flushing line, since the R142 can be retrofitted with the equipment, if I'm not mistaken.

The system telling you how long it takes for the next train to arrive is closely linked to CBTC.

Converting the (7) to CBTC also means moving the R142s over to the Flushing line, since the R142 can be retrofitted with the equipment, if I'm not mistaken.

That system is based on ATS. If ATS ain't working right, the system that tells you when the next train will arrive will not work or be incorrect.

All I got to say is CBTC got to be working 100% on the (L) before they start extending the program. The R 143 be having CBTC failure causing the train to run on the regular signal systerm. Since they took signals out expecting CBTC to be 100% some trains are spaced out farther apart causing delays in service because trains sitting behind Red Signals. They can run 4 Minutes between trains but it does you no good if the train can't make the schedule. A good example is After Livonia the next signal is just before E 105. If your train is in Bypass you have to sit at Livonia until your leader gets into E 105 St but its not the case if your in CBTC.

Archived