Via 5-4-3-2-What? QBxCuts!

RokuSix

I've read in the local newspaper some news that may be beneficial to some, but detrimental and confusing to others.

Come September, the QBx1 will be split into two routes: the Bx23 and the Q50. The Bx23 will be a local route encircling Co-Op City and going to Pelham Bay, while the Q50 will provide limited service to Flushing. According to the article, the Bx23 will get the splits that the QBx1 has now, for example, the rush hour shuttle to Section 5.

I personally think it's a bad idea:

1. It'll be even more confusing. At first, many riders will find it hard determining which bus to get on.

2. New mapping and bus stop signage: dinero, dinero!

3. Who's gonna run these: MTA Bus? And from what depot?

4. I, personally, can't imagine how much time or confusion this will alleviate. The QBx1's problems come from traffic conditions and passenger volume (and driver temperament...) Changing numbers around will not solve any external conditions! You'll just be plastering a new number on a problem.

Any opinions?

EDIT: The Bx23 is local, while the Q50 is limited.

I've read in the local newspaper some news that may be beneficial to some, but detrimental and confusing to others.

Come September, the QBx1 will be split into two routes: the Bx23 and the Q50. The Bx23 will be a limited route encircling Co-Op City and going to Pelham Bay, while the Q50 will provide service to Flushing. According to the article, the Bx23 will get the splits that the QBx1 has now, for example, the rush hour shuttle to Section 5.

I personally think it's a bad idea:

1. It'll be even more confusing. At first, many riders will find it hard determining which bus to get on.

2. New mapping and bus stop signage: dinero, dinero!

3. Who's gonna run these: MTA Bus? And from what depot?

4. I, personally, can't imagine how much time or confusion this will alleviate. The QBx1's problems come from traffic conditions and passenger volume (and driver temperament...) Changing numbers around will not solve any external conditions! You'll just be plastering a new number on a problem.

Any opinions?

By any chance, the article is online? If not scanned it?

It doesn't seem like that bad of an idea actually. You're cutting down on a lot of confusion from passengers who may confuse the QBx1 via the Co-op loop from the QBx1 to Flushing (although I would have kept the QBx1 designation for the Pelham to Flushing route).

The only thing I would do to the Q50 is cut it back to Bay Plaza instead of running it along all sections of Co-op City. If Limited stops are placed in the sections, riders at local stops would possibly cry foul about a bus skipping their stop. But on the other hand, I do think the Q50 is only going to Coop City in the first place because of riders that use the bus between Coop City and Throggs Neck, specifically those getting off at Tremont Av, Monsignor Scanlan HS, or Country Club Road. Not too many riders in Coop City are going to Flushing anyway.

The only thing I would do to the Q50 is cut it back to Bay Plaza instead of running it along all sections of Co-op City. If Limited stops are placed in the sections, riders at local stops would possibly cry foul about a bus skipping their stop. But on the other hand, I do think the Q50 is only going to Coop City in the first place because of riders that use the bus between Coop City and Throggs Neck, specifically those getting off at Tremont Av, Monsignor Scanlan HS, or Country Club Road. Not too many riders in Coop City are going to Flushing anyway.

Yep, riders at Pelham Bay and points south are going to Flushing

Yep, riders at Pelham Bay and points south are going to Flushing

Exactly the point, riders coming from the Bx12 and (6) train often use the QBx1 to Flushing and Throggs Neck, but there are few Coop City residents who do use the QBx1 from Coop City to Throggs Neck. I think the Q50 going through Coop can be due to politics since Assemblyman Mike Benedetto has both Coop and Throggs Neck in his district. He would argue that many seniors and students (specifically to Scanlan HS) use the QBx1 from the Neck to Coop City.

I'm assuming the Bx23 will be based out of GH

and the Q50 out of CP

Rediculos-imho.

I'm interested to see if the Bx23 will be transfered to NYCT or be kept at MTAB.

Bx23

NYCT: GH

MTAB: Eastchester

I'm wondering if the Q50 will be out of CP wholly or if itll be split between CP and Eastchester (like the current QBx1)

Can you please post a picture of the whole map in the paper? (the one we see an edge of)?

Never heard of this proposal either from the service cuts packet or from MTA board literature.

The maps accompanying the article are of Bx28, Bx26, and Bx30 (and Bx38) service changes. This paragraph was more of a random supplement to the article on those cuts.

I honestly believe that this is just a proposal of some sorts, and will be subject to a lot of revisions between now and September. This just may be a way of trying to appease Co-Op City residents:

MTA: Hey look we're gonna cut your bus service! Bwahaha!:cool:

Co-Op City Residents: No! How am I supposed to take the bus to Red Lobster now? :P

MTA: Uh oh! These Co-Op City residents have a lot of political clout! :confused:

Politicians: Hmm... I need votes... :D

MTA: Hmm... we need support B)

Co-Op City Residents: We are easily persuaded! :drool:

MTA + Politicians: Let's kill the QBx1 and make it look like we're doing something! :tup:

I'm interested to see if the Bx23 will be transfered to NYCT or be kept at MTAB.

Bx23

NYCT: GH

MTAB: Eastchester

I'm wondering if the Q50 will be out of CP wholly or if itll be split between CP and Eastchester (like the current QBx1)

Since the whole QBx1 route is MTAB, both halves of the split line will probably have to be also, as they don't seem to be at the "completely merged" stage yet where they can take away any of the territory of one agency and give it to the other.

So The Bx half would be ECH, and the Queens half would probably stay CP.

You CANNOT be serious!...

This is the first time I'm hearing of this. Oh boy, this is not gonna be good. :D

Sorry to disagree but i actually agree w/ the (MTA) on this 'change' to the QBX1. The QBX1's biggest problems is 1)lack of buses the headways are horrible

2)traffic on the Whitestone Bridge.

With that said, the new Q50 should just run between Bay Plaza and Main/Roosevelt with 12-15 minute headways instead of every 20 minutes most of the time. While the new Pelham Bay-Coop City route(it should be extended to the Dyre Ave (5)station )will be a huge improvement.

Plus i would have the Q50 loop into/out of the 20th Ave/College Point Shopping Center as well.

Also in few times i have railfanned the current QBX1 very few people from COOP City (except those getting off in the Bay Plaza area)actually ride the whole route to/from Downtown Flushing.

Just my takes.

Sorry to disagree but i actually agree w/ the (MTA) on this 'change' to the QBX1. The QBX1's biggest problems is 1)lack of buses the headways are horrible

The only reasons why they headways are the way they are is because it's warranted. If the MTA saw a need to increase its headways then it would. 20 minutes during non-rush hours is fine.

2)traffic on the Whitestone Bridge.

Exactly how bad is traffic on the bridge?

With that said, the new Q50 should just run between Bay Plaza and Main/Roosevelt with 12-15 minute headways instead of every 20 minutes most of the time. While the new Pelham Bay-Coop City route(it should be extended to the Dyre Ave (5)station )will be a huge improvement.

Plus i would have the Q50 loop into/out of the 20th Ave/College Point Shopping Center as well.

Also in few times i have railfanned the current QBX1 very few people from COOP City (except those getting off in the Bay Plaza area)actually ride the whole route to/from Downtown Flushing.

Just my takes.

If they're going to do this split then they better do the "free transfer option" between the Bx23 and Q50 like they did with the B61 and 62.

The only reasons why they headways are the way they are is because it's warranted. If the MTA saw a need to increase its headways then it would. 20 minutes during non-rush hours is fine.

I only rode the QBX1 twice, both on weekends, and the bus flies over the bridge.

I only rode the QBX1 twice, both on weekends, and the bus flies over the bridge.

Yeah I took the QBx1 last in October and we did move over the bridge...and before that I last took it in...2000 (AND I remember riding College Point RTS' as well!).

If they're going to do this split then they better do the "free transfer option" between the Bx23 and Q50 like they did with the B61 and 62.

LRG traffic varies on the Whitestone Bridge. It similar to the Verrzano. It busy during Rush Hours but can also be busy according to the following events. Other times traffic can 'fly' with no delays, on the Bridge other times weekends and late evenings/overnights.

Here are the usual non rush hour 'traffic jams' on the Whitestone Bridge.

1)Friday Nights 4pm-9pm before/start of a major holiday weekend especially during the summer.

2)Sunday Nights 4-9pm after or end of a major holiday weekend especially during the summer.

3)2 hours before and after the Mets game.

I do agree that an free extra transfer should be provided at Bay Plaza and Main/Roosevelt if the QBX1 is split into half.

Archived