A Small Question About The Q89

Just curious: What is the purpose of the Q89 (formerly the Q9A) in Jamaica and South Jamaica?

It runs only a short midday-type schedule with what seems like a lunch break:

Northbound:

*10:00am

*11:00am

*12:00

*1:00pm

*2:30pm

*3:30pm

*4:30pm

Southbound:

*10:30am

*11:30am

*12:30pm

*2:00pm

*3:00pm

*4:00pm

*5:00pm

The Q89 schedule lists twenty-four minutes as the running time from 165th Street Bus Terminal to Lincoln Street and Rockaway Boulevard.

Maybe it's to serve a section of Linden Boulevard (between Lincoln Street and Merrick Boulevard) that has only the QM21 and X63 (the Q4 serves Linden from Merrick Boulevard to 235th Street)?

You know. That's an interesting point. Between 10:00am and 5:00pm, the Q42 has similiar times and it's terminal is very close at Jamaica Center (Parsons Boulevard/Archer Avenue).

Possibly, Q42 buses could terminate at Jamaica Center during the hour and half gap.

The instantiation of the Q9a probably had some historical importance to it that I simply don't know about....

but what I can tell you in its current state, is:

1) The Q89 doesn't directly serve Jamaica Center (E)(J)(Z) or Hillside (for the (F))....

2) The Q89 connects to other bus lines that serves both Jamaica ctr. (E)(J)(Z) & Hillside av for the (F) (Q40, Q111/113)... and bus lines that serves both Jamaica ctr & the LIRR (Q6, Q40)....

This is exactly why Q6's, Q40's, & Q111/113's are often crushloaded... anyone living along linden bully (boulevard) along the 89 route knows that they can get to the "heart" of Jamaica w/o doing any type of (long) trek to get where they have to go, by simply walking to Sutphin, Guy R Brewer, or 142nd (I think that is, that the 40 goes up)..... as opposed to taking the 89 itself....

As long as those two facts are true, I see absolutely no room for growth for the current Q89.... not even combining it w/ the 42...

The instantiation of the Q9a probably had some historical importance to it that I simply don't know about....

but what I can tell you in its current state, is:

1) The Q89 doesn't directly serve Jamaica Center (E)(J)(Z) or Hillside (for the (F))....

2) The Q89 connects to other bus lines that serves both Jamaica ctr. (E)(J)(Z) & Hillside av for the (F) (Q40, Q111/113)... and bus lines that serves both Jamaica ctr & the LIRR (Q6, Q40)....

This is exactly why Q6's, Q40's, & Q111/113's are often crushloaded... anyone living along linden bully (boulevard) along the 89 route knows that they can get to the "heart" of Jamaica w/o doing any type of (long) trek to get where they have to go, by simply walking to Sutphin, Guy R Brewer, or 142nd (I think that is, that the 40 goes up)..... as opposed to taking the 89 itself....

As long as those two facts are true, I see absolutely no room for growth for the current Q89.... not even combining it w/ the 42...

-your right about the Q40 via 142nd st and via sutphin.

-as for the Q89Ex.9A its only crouds is elderly from 165th terminal to 162nd st nd linden.bl after that it emptys out but here and there it may pick up 1 to 5people. betwen s.ozone pk,Rockaway bl and sutphin bl and most people who start from the south end takes the Q9 instead as its more frequent than its counter part.

-but I'd tell you this I'd used to take that bus over the crouded Q111s and Q113s/ltd pm Rush hr after skool ended and got home 12minutes faster than the other formentioned routes.

-overall its 6/10 imo the other 3 lost due to the timeintervals and "only" 1 Bus used the whole day for these runs.

-imo it should be based out of "BP" due to the depot verry close to linden bl instead of "jfk"

Just curious: What is the purpose of the Q89 (formerly the Q9A) in Jamaica and South Jamaica?

IIRC, Green Bus Lines started the Q9A purely as a "franchise holder" - i.e. its purpose was not to serve any actual travel demand but to prevent any other carrier from running a local route on that part of Linden.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

that really blows so what will replace the Q89 service? as i know some people won't wanna walk 5 blocks east or west to get to a major bus blvd.

IIRC, Green Bus Lines started the Q9A purely as a "franchise holder" - i.e. its purpose was not to serve any actual travel demand but to prevent any other carrier from running a local route on that part of Linden.

But instead of just using it as a ''franchise holder'', they could've run it rush hours only instead of middays only. If they ran those buses as rush hour buses, they would've improved the cost efficiency. (Unless they were afraid that the express buses on that section would take passengers from the Q9A).

makes sense....

thanks for that info...

But instead of just using it as a ''franchise holder'', they could've run it rush hours only instead of middays only. If they ran those buses as rush hour buses, they would've improved the cost efficiency.

(Unless they were afraid that the express buses on that section would take passengers from the Q9A).

I don't know if that was the case back then, but that's not even the case, current day; very few x63 riders embark/disembark along linden... I'm willing to say at least 95% of the people that live along, or near linden b/w the van wyck & merrick, are taking connecting buses, and then walking to their houses....

that really blows so what will replace the Q89 service? as i know some people won't wanna walk 5 blocks east or west to get to a major bus blvd.

indirectly: all other queens service out of Jamaica (the area, not the depot) that bisects linden blvd in that area...

directly: nothing.

...and nothing really needs to, either.

Archived