Shutting off the HVAC

JohnQPine

Trust me it's not just Long Island Bus & Staten Island. I hate when it's like that on CS & JAM Depot buses.

On rainy days they'll be hot, wet, humid, and very stuffy. On certain CS buses the windows are locked so you can't even open the windows.

I remember one hot June day I was on the Q30, it was a packed RTS (with the coach seats) there was no AC and there was no ventilation, I literally felt a lack of oxygen. I was furious because that didn't make any sense, as I went to get off the bus a lot of people were getting off so I that's the only reason why I stayed on.

Yeah rainy days are the worst. All that humid stagnant air. Its disgusting I tell ya. :P

Cant believe they are doing this in the city too. Management needs to stress that the HVAC not be shut off. Only way its gonna stop is when b/o's starting getting written up for it. But it seems they'd rather pick on a guy who left the stop 20 seconds early..:tdown:

Back in 1987 when I was driving for Steinway Transit we had Fishbowls that not only had no power steering, but no attempt was made to set up the A/C in them. Those buses had to rewired for A/C after the winter and they were so old that the wiring was no good anymore so they didn't even bother. So I know how much it sucks to work in a bus that has less than perfect A/C.

Yeah rainy days are the worst. All that humid stagnant air. Its disgusting I tell ya. :P

Cant believe they are doing this in the city too. Management needs to stress that the HVAC not be shut off. Only way its gonna stop is when b/o's starting getting written up for it. But it seems they'd rather pick on a guy who left the stop 20 seconds early..:tdown:

Dude, are you really gonna come onto a site full of B/Os and say "the only way its gonna stop is when b/o's get written up for it"?

As someone who drove school bus,transit and now motorcoach all in the last 9 years I can tell you, NOBODY IS DRIVING AROUND WITH NO A/C PURPOSELY!

You don't know WHY the A/C is not running. Dude when it raining outside and the defrosters are crappy you might have to turn off the A/C for a while. Sorry if that make YOU uncomfortable,but I think being able to see the road is more important.

This is a great site with some good input from current MTA guys on how things run. Some of us WANT than input so maybe someday we can make the jump,but if everytime something happens and people go "B/Os need to get written up" they are gonna stop coming on here. Just food for thought!

Dude, are you really gonna come onto a site full of B/Os and say "the only way its gonna stop is when b/o's get written up for it"?

As someone who drove school bus,transit and now motorcoach all in the last 9 years I can tell you, NOBODY IS DRIVING AROUND WITH NO A/C PURPOSELY!

You don't know WHY the A/C is not running. Dude when it raining outside and the defrosters are crappy you might have to turn off the A/C for a while. Sorry if that make YOU uncomfortable,but I think being able to see the road is more important.

This is a great site with some good input from current MTA guys on how things run. Some of us WANT than input so maybe someday we can make the jump,but if everytime something happens and people go "B/Os need to get written up" they are gonna stop coming on here. Just food for thought!

It's obvious he has nothing better to do thank complain about service and what not. Seriously he needs to get a grip.

Back in 1987 when I was driving for Steinway Transit we had Fishbowls that not only had no power steering, but no attempt was made to set up the A/C in them. Those buses had to rewired for A/C after the winter and they were so old that the wiring was no good anymore so they didn't even bother. So I know how much it sucks to work in a bus that has less than perfect A/C.
I used to hear that A/C's had to be somehow "hooked up", and this was on Grummans (When the weather first started to get warm, it would take time before they turned them on), and of course, almost no "New Look" A/C's ever worked, (except for those Blitz addons. In Florida, they had to work, though) and the reason you gave sounds like it would be why.

So what was this process? Why did they have to be unhooked in the winter, and rewired in the summer?

Well I'm friends with some senior bus drivers and they agree with me and tell me the reasons why I am seeing this. Bottom line is alot of the new hires here at LIB arent being trained properly in how to work with Climate Control, thats what the problem is. Other than broken HVAC, it should be allowed to run at all times as its supposed to automatically regulate the temperature.

I know they are shutting if off because I see them doing it from the front seat. What do you want me to do, take a video of the bus driver doing it? That'd be pretty rude of me.

They (the MTA) needs to do a better job to stress how a bus climate control system works, they are ball busters when it comes to alot of safety stuff but are missing the point that air circulation is important on public transportation because it gets crowded and germs spread. Having people in an enclosed space with no air circulation is a health hazard. At the very least they need to keep the windows unlocked.

Only way its gonna stop is when b/o's starting getting written up for it.
Well I'm friends with some senior bus drivers and they agree with me and tell me the reasons why I am seeing this. Bottom line is alot of the new hires here at LIB arent being trained properly in how to work with Climate Control, thats what the problem is.

So let me get this straight. You want to write up B/Os who you claim aren't being training properly? So you want B/Os to get in trouble for something they have little control over? Jeez, you've been making a lot of sense lately.

Bottom line is alot of the new hires here at LIB arent being trained properly in how to work with Climate Control, thats what the problem is. Other than broken HVAC, it should be allowed to run at all times as its supposed to automatically regulate the temperature.

Jesus,you make it sound like running the HVAC system is like mission control at NASA. On some buses its OFF,HEAT,AC and VENT. On others you get to control the temperature.

You know why guys are constantly turning the HVAC system on and off? Because everybody bitches thats its either too hot or too cold. One of the most consistent complaints drivers get. And I bet every driver on this board gets that complaint 10-20 times a day

What do you want me to do, take a video of the bus driver doing it? That'd be pretty rude of me.

Wait videotaping a driver is rude,but saying one should be written up (and possibly fired) is kosher? Give me a break.

They (the MTA) needs to do a better job to stress how a bus climate control system works, they are ball busters when it comes to alot of safety stuff but are missing the point that air circulation is important on public transportation because it gets crowded and germs spread. Having people in an enclosed space with no air circulation is a health hazard. At the very least they need to keep the windows unlocked.

They bust balls on safety stuff because guess what...these guys and girls drive in the most congested environment on the East Coast, maybe even the whole USA.

Dude, you had a couple bad rides. Get over it. You think the LIB drivers are going "Here comes JohnQPine lets make his ride as miserable as possible" No they're not.

I drove 3 hot summers in a row in RTSes and NewFlyers with NO A/C and with some windows that wouldn't open. I opened everything I could and even drove with the front door open. People in New Britain,CT put up with that for years. They didn't like it and neither did I. Believe me if we had AC it was on.

What would you do if it was the 60s when NO bus had A/C?

So let me get this straight. You want to write up B/Os who you claim aren't being training properly? So you want B/Os to get in trouble for something they have little control over? Jeez, you've been making a lot of sense lately.

2 totally different ideas. After I found out they weren't being trained on the HVAC properly, the fault lies with the MTA.

Jesus,you make it sound like running the HVAC system is like mission control at NASA. On some buses its OFF,HEAT,AC and VENT. On others you get to control the temperature.

You know why guys are constantly turning the HVAC system on and off? Because everybody bitches thats its either too hot or too cold. One of the most consistent complaints drivers get. And I bet every driver on this board gets that complaint 10-20 times a day

Wait videotaping a driver is rude,but saying one should be written up (and possibly fired) is kosher? Give me a break.

They bust balls on safety stuff because guess what...these guys and girls drive in the most congested environment on the East Coast, maybe even the whole USA.

Dude, you had a couple bad rides. Get over it. You think the LIB drivers are going "Here comes JohnQPine lets make his ride as miserable as possible" No they're not.

I drove 3 hot summers in a row in RTSes and NewFlyers with NO A/C and with some windows that wouldn't open. I opened everything I could and even drove with the front door open. People in New Britain,CT put up with that for years. They didn't like it and neither did I. Believe me if we had AC it was on.

What would you do if it was the 60s when NO bus had A/C?

Again blowing my opinion out of proportion. People do complain about being too hot or too cold, heck it happened on one of my friend's buses, he told them he cant shut off the HVAC as its automatic. You make excuses. I aint saying that bus ops caught with no HVAC get written up, I am saying that bus ops who regularly shut it off should get talked to. If they continue to shut it off after warning, then perhaps a write up may be in order. I definately dont think they should be fired over it. The MTA is being hard enough on the b/o's for these stupid red light cameras.

Of course a simpler, much more logical solution to all of this is just not to lock the windows. This is what we did in the old days, before these 1700s came along.

Again blowing my opinion out of proportion. People do complain about being too hot or too cold, heck it happened on one of my friend's buses, he told them he cant shut off the HVAC as its automatic. You make excuses. I aint saying that bus ops caught with no HVAC get written up, I am saying that bus ops who regularly shut it off should get talked to. If they continue to shut it off after warning, then perhaps a write up may be in order. I definately dont think they should be fired over it. The MTA is being hard enough on the b/o's for these stupid red light cameras.

Of course a simpler, much more logical solution to all of this is just not to lock the windows. This is what we did in the old days, before these 1700s came along.

You can't even comprehend the fact that there are reasons for why the B/O shuts off the HVAC. Get a grip and stop bitching about it. It's bad enough the seats on the 1700s suck but do you see me complaining about it? No, not all. So stop bitching.

While I agree with what's being said above, I'd just like to add something here.

Internal temperatures for a bus are preset at a certain amount. In the case of the Orion 7, the standard temperature reading is 72 degrees Fahrenheit or around there. From there, the climate control system is responsible for maintaining the rest.

This is where the problem kicks in. On an Orion 7, the thermostat for the climate control (or HVAC) is located inside the engine compartment right next to the left side rear window. Opening the rear windows can cause a false low temperature reading inside the bus. The back might be nice and cool from the breeze, but the front will be sweating hot because the temperature for the bus is governed at that one spot in the back of the bus. There are times where you think that the operator might have turned the A/C off on purpose, but it could actually be a result of the false thermostat reading in the bus. In general, operators have no control over the temperature in the bus, only to turn the A/C off and on. The temperature regulation is all computerized and handled by the climate control system.

Well I'm friends with some senior bus drivers and they agree with me and tell me the reasons why I am seeing this. Bottom line is alot of the new hires here at LIB arent being trained properly in how to work with Climate Control, thats what the problem is. Other than broken HVAC, it should be allowed to run at all times as its supposed to automatically regulate the temperature.

I know they are shutting if off because I see them doing it from the front seat. What do you want me to do, take a video of the bus driver doing it? That'd be pretty rude of me.

Ok I'm gonna say my goodbyes to NYCTF now cuz I can't take this f**king bitch

now he has friends that are bus ops that he's blowing cuz he just said he would want bus ops to get written up and he has so called friends

O god help me I'm gonna get banned but look John you fruitcup

how is it that A damn Mod in here hasn't told you to shut the **** up already I'll tell you why cuz you got the ones that will take away a status due to improper info and not doing the homework that should of been do e in the first place , Then you got These Mods that will let this shit fly all knowing the ones that have the position will blow now let me tell you peeps this

Give me A break I need to know why this thread hasn't been locked already

I'll tell you why , These Mods don't do shit in here , they won't say nothing unless provoked or Cell phoned on the matter so if you ask me

WTF is it worth to have FN mods huh if you friggn peeps can't control this

I know the answer you wanted this shit to escalate right you won't peeps to flame but then you hipos won't say anything right well shit

I know for A damn fact that I will tell yous off cuz yous ain't doing shit right

I don't give A shit but if it takes this f**kin *** to bitch about a f n hvac system all knowing he is a customer that could of just took another bus in the first place then that's all I have to say on that

Now this won't be A first for this ass clown but you so Called staff let it go right so I don't wanna here it cuz he posts nothing but complaints against the hard workers we have in here o yeh they are members to got it

so peace my peeps it's been real cuz I couldn't be A rat and tell the teahers in here that saw this shit coming and failed to stop it so they waited for somebody to blow and yes it's me. KR out

now he has friends that are bus ops that he's blowing cuz he just said he would want bus ops to get written up and he has so called friends

how is it that A damn Mod in here hasn't told you to shut the **** up already I'll tell you why cuz you got the ones that will take away a status due to improper info and not doing the homework that should of been do e in the first place , Then you got These Mods that will let this shit fly all knowing the ones that have the position will blow now let me tell you peeps this

I'll tell you why , These Mods don't do shit in here , they won't say nothing unless provoked or Cell phoned on the matter so if you ask me

I know the answer you wanted this shit to escalate right you won't peeps to flame but then you hipos won't say anything right well shit

I know for A damn fact that I will tell yous off cuz yous ain't doing shit right

I don't give A shit but if it takes this f**kin *** to bitch about a f n hvac system all knowing he is a customer that could of just took another bus in the first place then that's all I have to say on that

Now this won't be A first for this ass clown but you so Called staff let it go right so I don't wanna here it cuz he posts nothing but complaints against the hard workers we have in here o yeh they are members to got it

so peace my peeps it's been real cuz I couldn't be A rat and tell the teahers in here that saw this shit coming and failed to stop it so they waited for somebody to blow and yes it's me. KR out

Damn KR, never seen you heated up like this before. Just ignore John Queer Prick.

Damn KR, never seen you heated up like this before. Just ignore John Queer Prick.

Actually I have seen him like this before,once DOB2RTO said something negative about B/O's but in a sarcastic way and KR went off on him. We all know how DOB2RTO's sense of humor is. I enjoy reading KR's posts, if there was one B/O that I would want to teach me how to drive a transit bus it would be him, :tup:

Actually I have seen him like this before,once DOB2RTO said something negative about B/O's but in a sarcastic way and KR went off on him. We all know how DOB2RTO's sense of humor is. I enjoy reading KR's posts, if there was one B/O that I would want to teach me how to drive a transit bus it would be him, :tup:

yeah he did state he had a past issue with him but they straightened things out. And hells yeah I'd love to have a bus driving lesson by no one other than good ol' KR himself! :cool:

Maybe this would have been better for PMs, no?
Nah homie g.

You spoke nothing but the truth brutha. Go on ahead! These trips just don't know.

Correct.

I don't get why he had to b*tch about an air conditioner. It's a F*cking AIR CONDITIONER for christ's sake!

:cry: Waaaah! The air condioner is off! Get the press! Call the ambalamps! :cry:

This guy must have NOTHING to do just to complain about a simple air conditioner. I'd hate to see his reaction if he was forced to move to a third world country. He would bitch a storm. It is kinda getting ridiculous on here with the flame wars and whatnot. Where are the moderators when you need them. If this post had been deleted from the get-go, none of this would have happened.

Just my .002 cents (yes, point zero zero two, not 2)

Correct.

I don't get why he had to b*tch about an air conditioner. It's a F*cking AIR CONDITIONER for christ's sake!

:cry: Waaaah! The air condioner is off! Get the press! Call the ambalamps! :cry:

This guy must have NOTHING to do just to complain about a simple air conditioner. I'd hate to see his reaction if he was forced to move to a third world country. He would bitch a storm. It is kinda getting ridiculous on here with the flame wars and whatnot. Where are the moderators when you need them. If this post had been deleted from the get-go, none of this would have happened.

Complaining over the lack of A/C...sounds just like those idiots from Springfield Gardens, just doesn't know when to STFU...if there's HVAC issues, blame shop maintenance, not the operator.

Correct.

Hes a popular blogger , who tends to complain alot. But hey thats his right , this is American still. If you don't like what hes complaining about then ignore it and move on , very simple. Now can we just end this before someone says something stupid and leads to something offline.....:confused:

Hes a popular blogger , who tends to complain alot. But hey thats his right , this is American still. If you don't like what hes complaining about then ignore it and move on , very simple. Now can we just end this before someone says something stupid and leads to something offline.....:confused:

You don't get it....

THIS BOARD IS NOT FOR HEARING PEOPLE BITCH ABOUT THEIR DISCOMFORT!!!!!!

You can't even have a discussion without people flaring about car types, bus types, A/C, seating, etc., etc., etc. The same attitude like Rider Diaries, this place is starting to become like it, sorry to say. He can take his ass over there for all we care so people who actually give two shits will preach with him.

That's not the point. He has every right to complain, but why does he have to report bus operators to the MTA for something so stupid?

And besides. Why b*tch about it here!? Nothings gonna happen. It's this nonsense that leads to huge flame wars

Complaining over the lack of A/C...sounds just like those idiots from Springfield Gardens, just doesn't know when to STFU...if there's HVAC issues, blame shop maintenance, not the operator.

That was really uncalled for, I'm originally from the South Jamaica/Springfield Gardens border so that kind of includes me. What idiots that can't stfu in Springfield Gardens? Have you ever even been there? You're the one who's been riding JohnQPine's back this entire thread.

I have nothing against anyone here but the subliminal attacks against FG are uncalled for.

It's not the B/O's fault, I doubt they want to be in a hot stuffy bus too (most of the day at that), sometimes they turn off the AC but that's kinda rare. When the bus is extra hot one can assume the AC doesn't work. Also is the HVAC the AC?

Archived