The lines affected by the cuts the worst?

RTS CNG Command

Of all the lines cut, reduced, rerouted, or merged from the budget cuts, which ones do you think will have the worst impact and/or be the least effective? In other words, possibly resulting in the MTA losing money rather than gaining?

Mine are two of them: the X32 and the M5.

The X32 is a very important line to those who have to travel to the Bronx School of Science. Despite cutting through the heart of Flushing, the X32 is an effective way to get to the Bronx without painstakingly cutting through the very heart of Manhattan or spending who knows how much by cab. With the X32 cut, it will take a much longer time to get there, and it can result in some students dropping out of that school because they can't afford the time and money to get there.

The M5 is another one, and if you ask me, it's by far one of the worst decisions the MTA made. It's a reversal of the M101 and M102 prior to the first massive cuts in 1995 when they used to go to City Hall. The M5 has a tough time getting to Greenwich Village; I see that bus being constantly late, and I don't ride it. (Blame me eying the timetable and the clock.) Sometimes, the longer the line, the least effective. This will be one of them. The M6 provided a breather for the M1/2/3/4/5. With the M6 gone, the M5 will now have to carry the passengers to South Ferry. There is a reason why the M103 exists: to carry a share of the load with the M101 and M102. And I will call it: By the end of the year, the M5 merger's results will be so bad that the line will be cut back to Greenwich Village (or Grand Central/Central Park South), and the M6 will return to help out.

What about yours? Please explain thoroughly.

Of all the lines cut, reduced, rerouted, or merged from the budget cuts, which ones do you think will have the worst impact and/or be the least effective? In other words, possibly resulting in the MTA losing money rather than gaining?

The X32 is a very important line to those who have to travel to the Bronx School of Science. Despite cutting through the heart of Flushing, the X32 is an effective way to get to the Bronx without painstakingly cutting through the very heart of Manhattan or spending who knows how much by cab. With the X32 cut, it will take a much longer time to get there, and it can result in some students dropping out of that school because they can't afford the time and money to get there.

The M5 is another one, and if you ask me, it's by far one of the worst decisions the MTA made. It's a reversal of the M101 and M102 prior to the first massive cuts in 1995 when they used to go to City Hall. The M5 has a tough time getting to Greenwich Village; I see that bus being constantly late, and I don't ride it. (Blame me eying the timetable and the clock.) Sometimes, the longer the line, the least effective. This will be one of them. The M6 provided a breather for the M1/2/3/4/5. With the M6 gone, the M5 will now have to carry the passengers to South Ferry. There is a reason why the M103 exists: to carry a share of the load with the M101 and M102. And I will call it: By the end of the year, the M5 merger's results will be so bad that the line will be cut back to Greenwich Village (or Grand Central/Central Park South), and the M6 will return to help out.

I am not sure about bringing back the M6 but i can see the (MTA) either extending the M7 or say ending the northern tip of the M5 at 135th or Riverbank state park and have the M104 extended to the GWB terminal at 178th/Bway if this M5/6 Shot Gun Marriage is a failure.

While it's sad these cuts are about to occur, IMO are few that are the most unfair imo in no order.

B39-Because the Essex St station is not ADA accesible and alot of people in wheelchairs/eldery riders use the B39.

X32-if the proposed Q94 weekday only supplemental limited stop version of the Q44 was created then the canning of the X32. Still maybe a charter bus company could take over this route.

B64-Eastbound terminal being shortened to 25th/harway Ave. I already discussed it in length in several threads on the SW Brooklyn bus cuts so i wont dicuss it unless asked.

B24-At least run the Greenpoint Ave section 7 days a week between Manhattan/Greenpoint Ave (G) station and the 46th St/Sunnyside (7) station.

B23-At least maintain weekday service as the nearby B35(every day) and B8(weekdays) are always busy and often SRO.

B4-Not so much the route being shortned eastbound but the location of Coney Island Ave as it's full time terminal is a joke? At least run it to the Sheepshead Bay (:P(Q)station. And ideally extend it to Knapp St, every other bus until around 10pm daily as imo what the (MTA) should have done.

M1-I can understand ending overnight/24-7 service along 5th Ave but why in the hell is the southbound terminal at 106th/5th Ave weekends? Makes no sense. :tdown. If any of the 5th Ave buses needed to shortned IMO on weekends/late evenings, a better choice since it goes the furthest uptown of the 5th Ave buses would have been the M3.

Disagree with the cuts but not as urgent.

B37-I already mention in the B37 cut thread, but imo this could have been a weekday only line at least. I won't that much into chatting about it again as i already stated my reasons the b37 should have been saved.

X27/28-At least limited Saturday service between Midtown and SW Brooklyn could have been saved as other than Stillwell/Coney Island station, almost none of the SW Brooklyn stations on the nearby (D)(N) and (R) lines are ADA accessible. Plus Access a Ride is a joke but that another discussion.

B51-Could have stayed as at least a rush hour line. This route often is SRO during peak hours as many wheelchair riders use it. Not to mention the Elevators at ADA stations on the nearby (4)(5) and (R) lines are not working.

Just some basic replies as Brooklyn did get unfairly more of the cuts in bus service than rest of the city. More to come especially about Bronx and Queens.:mad::tdown:

The X32 isn't that bad. First off, there is a private company that runs buses from major streets near people's houses (Basically like a school bus). (They are Vallo Transportation and the website is http://www.vallotransportation.com/ ). The fares start at about $2,000 per year when purchased far enough in advance.

This is a different situation than the Student MetroCards because

1) The students that can afford to pay $2,000 for transportation (or even $1,800 for the X32) are generally students who can afford the higher fare.

2) The fare for the bus breaks down to about $5.55 per trip (180 school days, 2 trips per day), which isn't much more expensive than the X32.

3) The company offers more options for service, tailoring the route to locations of the homes of the students.

As far as the M5, we'll have to wait and see. As Shortline Bus mentioned, the MTA could replace the northern portion of the M5 with the M104, since it is having its route cut back to Times Square.

I am not sure about bringing back the M6 but i can see the (MTA) either extending the M7 or say ending the northern tip of the M5 at 135th or Riverbank state park and have the M104 extended to the GWB terminal at 178th/Bway if this M5/6 Shot Gun Marriage is a failure.

While it's sad these cuts are about to occur, IMO are few that are the most unfair imo in no order.

B39-Because the Essex St station is not ADA accesible and alot of people in wheelchairs/eldery riders use the B39.

X32-if the proposed Q94 weekday only supplemental limited stop version of the Q44 was created then the canning of the X32. Still maybe a charter bus company could take over this route.

B64-Eastbound terminal being shortened to 25th/harway Ave. I already discussed it in length in several threads on the SW Brooklyn bus cuts so i wont dicuss it unless asked.

B24-At least run the Greenpoint Ave section 7 days a week between Manhattan/Greenpoint Ave (G) station and the 46th St/Sunnyside (7) station.

B23-At least maintain weekday service as the nearby B35(every day) and B8(weekdays) are always busy and often SRO.

B4-Not so much the route being shortned eastbound but the location of Coney Island Ave as it's full time terminal is a joke? At least run it to the Sheepshead Bay (:P(Q)station. And ideally extend it to Knapp St, every other bus until around 10pm daily as imo what the (MTA) should have done.

M1-I can understand ending overnight/24-7 service along 5th Ave but why in the hell is the southbound terminal at 106th/5th Ave weekends? Makes no sense. :tdown. If any of the 5th Ave buses needed to shortned IMO on weekends/late evenings, a better choice since it goes the furthest uptown of the 5th Ave buses would have been the M3.

Disagree with the cuts but not as urgent.

B37-I already mention in the B37 cut thread, but imo this could have been a weekday only line at least. I won't that much into chatting about it again as i already stated my reasons the b37 should have been saved.

X27/28-At least limited Saturday service between Midtown and SW Brooklyn could have been saved as other than Stillwell/Coney Island station, almost none of the SW Brooklyn stations on the nearby (D)(N) and (R) lines are ADA accessible. Plus Access a Ride is a joke but that another discussion.

B51-Could have stayed as at least a rush hour line. This route often is SRO during peak hours as many wheelchair riders use it. Not to mention the Elevators at ADA stations on the nearby (4)(5) and (R) lines are not working.

Just some basic replies as Brooklyn did get unfairly more of the cuts in bus service than rest of the city. More to come especially about Bronx and Queens.:mad::tdown:

I agree with the B4, B24, B39, and B64 for the reasons you stated. I'm still on the fence about the X27/X28 (as you are, since they have high costs per passenger).

Also, I think the M50 should stay, as there would be no crosstown service between 42nd Street and 57th Street on the weekends, and the elimination of the M27 would improve the efficiency. I would also like to add the B71, since it had a 5-year growth of 29% weekdays and 35% weekends, and there is a wide gap between 9th Street and Bergen Street.

I know some of the NYCTF members may scream at me for saying this particuarly those who live these lines but imo these service cuts/changes was imo a fair and good job by the (MTA) i feel. Again it's sad but what can you do.

M8 Why this route still had overnight service beats me.

M22 Ditto for this line as Lower Manhattan south of Canal St is dead overnights.

M104 no longer serving the UN/42nd St Crosstown. IMO at least a weekday only small amount of buses could have still went on 42nd. As a MNRR railroad customer, i do notice a few riders who use the M104 to get to/from work anywhere between Times Sq and Columbus Circle.

S60/66 merger. Takes two underserving routes and increases ridership. Plus Wagner and St John Univ of SI students and staff for 1st time have a direct bus to St George's Ferry.

B3 extension to East 74th in Bergen Beach. Still imo enough riders use that B3 spur to run it at least rush hours.

B61/77 merger. Great idea is for first time riders in Red Hook have 24/7 access to all of Park Slope, Prospect Park/Windsor Terr. and connection to the B68 to SW Brooklyn and Coney Island.

Only negative is the (MTA) idea to have the B57 replace the B75 along Smith/Court north of Smith/9th St which i disagree with.

Merger of the BXM7a/BM7b and extending the new BXM7a a few trips rush hours to City Island.

More to come.

Getting rid of the S54 on weekends seems like a bad idea to me. I've only taken it once but something tells me that's just a bad idea. If Susan Wagner HS students have a Saturday program then the S54 is their guaranteed connection to the school as it's on Manor Road.

Getting rid of the S54 on weekends seems like a bad idea to me. I've only taken it once but something tells me that's just a bad idea. If Susan Wagner HS students have a Saturday program then the S54 is their guaranteed connection to the school as it's on Manor Road.

But then they still have the S57 even though it's not very close.

But then they still have the S57 even though it's not very close.

When I saw that proposal, I thought that too.

On the LIB side:

I agree with N1, 2, 17, 65, 66, 67, 93. The remainder of the proposals will not be so easy to deal with, especially the 4 without alternatives for all or part of the route (14, 38, 94, 95).

I think that there should be unlimited free transfers for 2 hours, since there are more routes where passengers would be forced to pay a double fare to complete their trip.

What I suggested (in writing, not verbally) was the following:

Run the S61/S91 on Manor Road instead of Bradley Avenue. At first I was going to say to do it weekends only to replace the S54, but then I realized that this would give the Todt Hill Houses on Manor Road access to the St George Ferry.

To replace the S67, I say to run additional S57 service to/from either Victory Blvd/Watchogue Road, Susan Wagner High School, or Seaview Hospital. This would also help with ridership on Bradley Avenue, since the S61/S91 would no longer be running along there. I saw an S67 in Port Richmond in the PM rush and it had some standees, even though it was on Post Avenue, about 4 stops from the terminal.

Run the ''new'' S66 weekends. This helps serve the north-south corridor bwtween Clove Road and Willowbrook Road that would have no north-south service if the S54 was cut. This route could run hourly 7 AM - 9 PM. If it runs the full route, the ridership on Grymes Hill should increase dramatically, as it would have a link to both St George and Port Richmond, with all the transfers offered to connecting bus routes. (Since there would be a reduced frequency and increased ridership, I would expect the cost per passenger on Grymes Hill to decrease to about $6 - $6.50 per person from $12.98, and the cost per passenger on Jewett Avenue to be about $5 per person). Although those seem like high costs, LI Bus runs routes at higher costs per rider to serve fewer people.

Just throwing this idea out there, but for the portion in Great Kills, the S59 might be be able to be rerouted down Giffords Lane and Nelson Avenue to cover the S54. I don't really agree with this, though, since there is more ridership on Richmond Avenue.

The thing that I don't get is that, on certain route eliminations, the MTA assumes that all of the passengers will use the alternatives, when they might be more inconvenient than the MTA thinks. For example, on the Q76 Saturday elimination proposal, it seems that the MTA thinks that all 1,970 passengers would use other north-south routes (Q17, Q27, or Q30 in the southern portion, and the Q13, Q15, Q16, or Q20 in the northern portion). I'm sure at least 300-400 of those people would drive or take some other form of tranportation to make the trip. (By the way, this was another proposal that I disagreed with)

Another one was the B24. Since there is no parallel service along Greenpoint Avenue, I'm sure at least 600 - 700 of the 3,150 passengers would, again use a non-MTA form of transportation.

Of course, with the S54, the same situation applies.

Does anybody think that the Q76 could be combined with the Q77, as a full Francis Lewis Blvd route? There is the Q43 on Hillside Avenue that those riders could transfer to.

On the LIB side:

I agree with N1, 2, 17, 65, 66, 67, 93. The remainder of the proposals will not be so easy to deal with, especially the 4 without alternatives for all or part of the route (14, 38, 94, 95).

Of course those people dont have to be stranded. What the MTA should do is extend the N48 or N49 to Woodbury Crossways via Jericho Turnpike, the N81 should continue up S.Oyster Bay Rd to serve the Shoprite and shopping areas on Woodbury Rd, then go left onto Woodbury Rd into Hicksville (via the N94 routing). Portions of the N95 could've been replaced by the N70, and some N23's in rush hours could go via W.Shore Rd to serve the area left by the N28.

I know there's been some changes since the TA took over management out here, but I have been quite dissapointed that the "leave people stranded" mentality still exists. For almost all of the cuts in MTA Bus and NYC Transit territory there are alternatives (although much more time consuming..), but for LI Bus there's often no alternative, other than a long walk or an overpriced taxi.

Bx 41- Shorted from 241 Street to Gun Hill Road and then the Bx 39 extended from Gun Hill Rd. to 241 Street. A lot of passengers depend the Bx 41 to 241 Street and now u got to take 2 buses to 241 Street.

The Co-op City buses (Bx 26, 28, 30)- Bx 26 and 28 only running at section 5. Only the Bx 30 and Bx 38 (new route) run from sections 1-4. The big loss to me is the Bx 26 because that only bus we to go to Allerton avenue. Co-op City sections 1-4 is going to have problems, it running the Bx 25 route (People that don't know about Co-op City Sections you can google the map of Co-op City and the Sections)

Overall i would have rather the (MTA) cut back on 24/7(overnight) and even the ending times of bus routes then these generally unfair cuts.

Here are the rest of the cuts and my replies in No order.

Q26-How in the world this line which is basically a supplemental to the very Q27 route is becoming a 24/7 line? Ideally this should be an all day weekday line at least. Meanwhile the Q27 will now get even more crowded and may need artics if and when Queens bus lines get them.

M98-Why is this route ending at 68th ST as a rush hour only line? I think this is a master plan by the (MTA) to canning this line totally. Or force riders in Washington Heights and Inwood onto the busy Lex Line or the (A) line and transfer to a crosstown route. At the very least this line should have ended at the UN/East Midtown area on 42nd St.

X29-Another line i don't understand on the doomsday cuts list? IMO enough people use it as this is a rush hour peak direction line. I think B35 via Church suggested which may have been a good compromise was to end it at the old B68 Brighton Beach terminal at West 5th St and Surf Ave since ridership tanks SOUTH of Trump Tower Buliding on Neptune at the CI/Brighton border.

Overnight service cuts

On most of them while sad, I agree with the (MTA) on most of them except for these.

B67-Quite a few workers at methodist hosptial at 6th St/7th Ave use it as i lived for a brief time in Park Slope. It could have still had 1-hour overnight service.

B45-Ditto for this line as a huge population area along St John's use it.

Part 2 to come.

Bx 41- Shorted from 241 Street to Gun Hill Road and then the Bx 39 extended from Gun Hill Rd. to 241 Street. A lot of passengers depend the Bx 41 to 241 Street and now u got to take 2 buses to 241 Street.

The Co-op City buses (Bx 26, 28, 30)- Bx 26 and 28 only running at section 5. Only the Bx 30 and Bx 38 (new route) run from sections 1-4. The big loss to me is the Bx 26 because that only bus we to go to Allerton avenue. Co-op City sections 1-4 is going to have problems, it running the Bx 25 route (People that don't know about Co-op City Sections you can google the map of Co-op City and the Sections)

I kind of agree with the Bx41 cut since it shortens the often-delayed route, but it would come at the expense of Northeast Bronx and Mount Vernon riders using it to head to Fordham Road. I have a feeling that with the Bx39 extension, it would result in the Bx39 getting cut back to Pelham Parkway station in the next set of cuts.

Overall i would have rather the (MTA) cut back on 24/7(overnight) and even the ending times of bus routes then these generally unfair cuts.

Here are the rest of the cuts and my replies in No order.

Q26-How in the world this line which is basically a supplemental to the very Q27 route is becoming a 24/7 line? Ideally this should be an all day weekday line at least. Meanwhile the Q27 will now get even more crowded and may need artics if and when Queens bus lines get them.

M98-Why is this route ending at 68th ST as a rush hour only line? I think this is a master plan by the (MTA) to canning this line totally. Or force riders in Washington Heights and Inwood onto the busy Lex Line or the (A) line and transfer to a crosstown route. At the very least this line should have ended at the UN/East Midtown area on 42nd St.

X29-Another line i don't understand on the doomsday cuts list? IMO enough people use it as this is a rush hour peak direction line. I think B35 via Church suggested which may have been a good compromise was to end it at the old B68 Brighton Beach terminal at West 5th St and Surf Ave since ridership tanks SOUTH of Trump Tower Buliding on Neptune at the CI/Brighton border.

Overnight service cuts

On most of them while sad, I agree with the (MTA) on most of them except for these.

B67-Quite a few workers at methodist hosptial at 6th St/7th Ave use it as i lived for a brief time in Park Slope. It could have still had 1-hour overnight service.

B45-Ditto for this line as a huge population area along St John's use it.

Part 2 to come.

Certain of the overnight cuts are pretty bad. The problem is that the MTA chose a threshold of 45 people, which unfairly impacts certain routes.

Of the overnight service cuts that I would take back, I would take back the B31, Bx34, and B65. Geritsen Beach and Woodlawn are isolated from the rest of Brooklyn and the Bronx, respectively, and are both not too far from the threshold considering their short length. As far as the B65 goes, it had 41 overnight riders, but if the B45 were to be eliminated late nights, I'm sure more than 4 riders would shift to the B65, bringing it over the 45 person-threshold.

I agree about the X29, since it is on the more cost-effective side of the express routes, and I agree that 68th Street is a bad place to end the M98 (not going anywhere near Midtown). I can't really say much about the Q26 except that, as you said, the Q27 should get artics if the Q26 is cut back.

I have 2:

M5-What the hell are they thinking?! This line will be as long as the old M10 and M101. I hope it's LTD through out the entire line. I still think the M6 should have stayed

Bx39-A through WPR route. I have a feeling the MTA is gonna cut this one if and when they need to "balance the budget" again

As a senior of this school, I've seen these things for 4 years straight. Let me tell you this, the X32 is not needed. The private bus company does a fairly good job with transporting the kids from these areas. Plus the company is much more flexible than the X32 because it serves a greater swath of Queens and offers services for those who are on clubs. And not many of them take the X32.

It was proposed that the X32 will be replaced by the Q94, but the plan was axed 2 years ago. The Q94 would have served from Fordham Plaza to Main Street and was aimed for regular commuters.

Bare in mind that the X32 makes 1 run from Queens to the school on school days on its different routes. And it makes 1 run from the school on those particular routes.

And there's always the subway...

Certain of the overnight cuts are pretty bad. The problem is that the MTA chose a threshold of 45 people, which unfairly impacts certain routes.

Of the overnight service cuts that I would take back, I would take back the B31, Bx34, and B65. Geritsen Beach and Woodlawn are isolated from the rest of Brooklyn and the Bronx, respectively, and are both not too far from the threshold considering their short length. As far as the B65 goes, it had 41 overnight riders, but if the B45 were to be eliminated late nights, I'm sure more than 4 riders would shift to the B65, bringing it over the 45 person-threshold.

I agree about the X29, since it is on the more cost-effective side of the express routes, and I agree that 68th Street is a bad place to end the M98 (not going anywhere near Midtown). I can't really say much about the Q26 except that, as you said, the Q27 should get artics if the Q26 is cut back.

It's a tough call on the B45 and B65 and if one of those had to lose overnight service i would pick the B65 for these reasons.

1)The B25(i think overnight service was saved)and (A) train is 5 blocks away.

2)B45 serves an area of Washington Ave(especially since the B69 now losing weekend service)and St John's that a long walk to another nearby bus or subway line.

3)During late nights only in being creative to serve those public housing in area of Bergen St/Ralph i would loop the B45 from St John's to Atlantic via Ralph.

checkmatechamp13 i only disagree with you on the B31. Gerristean Beach is among the richest neighborhoods in all of Brooklyn and someone who used to live in SW Brooklyn, the B31 gets zero riders on almost all trips between 1am-5am. Those residents at overnight hours are probably driving or using a taxi from the (Q) Kings Highway or even the (2) Flatbush Ave subway stations.

And again i wish the (MTA) would buy 35-foot buses for routes like many bus lines citywide. And to answer Gotham Bus Company question, if NYCT/MTA Bus drivers are paid the same to drive a regular or artics, then so should those driving shorter buses.

And again i wish the (MTA) would buy 35-foot buses for routes like many bus lines citywide. And to answer Gotham Bus Company question, if NYCT/MTA Bus drivers are paid the same to drive a regular or artics, then so should those driving shorter buses.

Like minibuses right? That's a good idea, really.

I have a different take on this, just with some routes in the neighborhood

The M9 to 23rd Street/City Hall - Without the M9 to 14th Street - Union Square/Battery Park City, M14As will be even more crowded as the M9 was an alternative to parts of the Lower East Side & an aid for the M14A. The M14A/D will be the only buses going up and down 14th Street because of this loss. There will also there will be more crowded M15s since the M9 was also an alternative.

The elimination of the M1/M6 to South Ferry (M1 ending at 8th Street) - With these two lines no longer serving South Ferry with one being axed, it gets replaced by the already unreliable M5. By extending the M5 to South Ferry, it would make the M5 even more unreliable as this line will be the longest line in Manhattan IIRC. If the M5 were to be split with MJQ and have it run like the current Q32(which would make sense), then reliability would be better.

The elimination of the M21 - I'm not a huge fan of the route but the M21 does see a lot of passengers going to the west side. The M21 IIRC is the only line that serves the part of the West Side.

The M9 to 23rd Street/City Hall - Without the M9 to 14th Street - Union Square/Battery Park City, M14As will be even more crowded as the M9 was an alternative to parts of the Lower East Side & an aid for the M14A. The M14A/D will be the only buses going up and down 14th Street because of this loss. There will also there will be more crowded M15s

They should consider doing something along the 14th Street corridor anyway. It gets ridiculously crowded and buses tend to bunch.

Replies in bold

It's a tough call on the B45 and B65 and if one of those had to lose overnight service i would pick the B65 for these reasons.

1)The B25(i think overnight service was saved)and (A) train is 5 blocks away.

You could make the argument that the (4) train is 2 blcoks from St Johns Placa, but the B25 offers a local bus alternative on Fulton Street, while is nothing on Eastern Parkway that is a local bus alternative to the B45, so I'll give you that.

2)B45 serves an area of Washington Ave(especially since the B69 now losing weekend service)and St John's that a long walk to another nearby bus or subway line.

I agree there, since the B48 isn't running south of Fulton Street anymore. Keep in mind, though, that we are only talking about late night service, when the B69 doesn't run.

3)During late nights only in being creative to serve those public housing in area of Bergen St/Ralph i would loop the B45 from St John's to Atlantic via Ralph.

I agree there, even though the B45 isn't too much further than the B65, and the B15, and B47 already stop near there. Neither of them go to Downtown Brooklyn, though, so the B45 extension could work.

checkmatechamp13 i only disagree with you on the B31. Gerristean Beach is among the richest neighborhoods in all of Brooklyn and someone who used to live in SW Brooklyn, the B31 gets zero riders on almost all trips between 1am-5am. Those residents at overnight hours are probably driving or using a taxi from the (Q) Kings Highway or even the (2) Flatbush Ave subway stations.

I agree that the Bx34 is more necessary to restore, as there is no service at all in that area. At least the B31 parallels the B3 and B82 to some extent, and the portion of the B31 in Gerittsen Beach is no more than 1.5 miles from the nearest B3 stop.

The M9 to 23rd Street/City Hall - Without the M9 to 14th Street - Union Square/Battery Park City, M14As will be even more crowded as the M9 was an alternative to parts of the Lower East Side & an aid for the M14A. The M14A/D will be the only buses going up and down 14th Street because of this loss. There will also there will be more crowded M15s since the M9 was also an alternative.

The elimination of the M1/M6 to South Ferry (M1 ending at 8th Street) - With these two lines no longer serving South Ferry with one being axed, it gets replaced by the already unreliable M5. By extending the M5 to South Ferry, it would make the M5 even more unreliable as this line will be the longest line in Manhattan IIRC. If the M5 were to be split with MJQ and have it run like the current Q32(which would make sense), then reliability would be better.

The elimination of the M21 - I'm not a huge fan of the route but the M21 does see a lot of passengers going to the west side. The M21 IIRC is the only line that serves the part of the West Side.

The M21 would be eliminated weekends only.

However, with the elimination of M8 weekend service in conjunction with the elimination of the M21, that would mean that the nearest crosstown route is the M14 to the north and the M22 to the south. That would mean a long walk. The MTA said that riders would have to walk up to 15 minutes to the M14.

What they may not have considered in the projected cost savings was the fact that, in 15 minutes, the customer could make the crosstown walk and already be at their destination, with the MTA missing out on a fare that way. With the long walk, I would imagine a decent number of fares would be lost that way.

I don't know if it means anything, but on the map that shows the elimination of M8 weekend service, I notice that the M21 is still shown on the map. Whether that was an oversight as far as erasing the M21, or whether they really didn't take into consideration the gap in crosstown service we may never know.

As a senior of this school, I've seen these things for 4 years straight. Let me tell you this, the X32 is not needed. The private bus company does a fairly good job with transporting the kids from these areas. Plus the company is much more flexible than the X32 because it serves a greater swath of Queens and offers services for those who are on clubs. And not many of them take the X32.

It was proposed that the X32 will be replaced by the Q94, but the plan was axed 2 years ago. The Q94 would have served from Fordham Plaza to Main Street and was aimed for regular commuters.

Bare in mind that the X32 makes 1 run from Queens to the school on school days on its different routes. And it makes 1 run from the school on those particular routes.

And there's always the subway...

Good riddance to the X32...that bus route really isn't needed at all...it costs too much to run and at what price? NO ONE USES IT!!!

The M21 will still run on weekdays though.

On the LIB side:

When I went to get pic of N65/N66 yesterday, crossing guard there said those girl's need N65.

Good riddance to the X32...that bus route really isn't needed at all...it costs too much to run and at what price? NO ONE USES IT!!!

The M21 will still run on weekdays though.

Would it? Because then it wouldnt make sense for it to run the M9 to where it runs now.

Archived