Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

Feeling 'extremely vulnerable,' ex-bus driver takes five months to recover

Y2Julio

Spitting hurts!

An ex-city bus driver who took five months sick leave after a rider spat on her insisted Tuesday she needed the recovery time after the harrowing - and gross - attack.

"I needed the help of psychiatrists in order for me to regain some sort of composure to be able to deal with people," Oneshia Shade said. "I felt extremely vulnerable."

Shade defended the practice after the MTA revealed that dozens of bus drivers took an average 64 paid days off last year after getting hit with spit.

One even took 191 days, officials said.

Stung by criticism from MTA board members, NYC Transit said yesterday it plans to give some cases extra scrutiny.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/05/26/2010-05-26_feeling_extremely_vulnerable_she_took_five_months_to_recover_i_needed_my_sick_le.html#ixzz0p21mGEJq

post-1245-133288582057_thumb.jpg

post-1245-133288582057_thumb.jpg

That's a looey of a loogey!

Dozens of city bus drivers who were spat on by riders last year took an average of two months paid time off after the humiliating experiences, officials revealed Monday.

That's because transit workers are entitled to get a paid break after an "assault" - which apparently includes spitting.

While 32 bus drivers who endured the indignity didn't take any time off, 51 took an average of 64 paid days off, officials said.

One bus driver took 191 days - or more than six months, NYC Transit said.

"We're going to have to take a look and see what we're going to do with that," Joe Smith, senior vice president of buses for NYC Transit, said after an MTA committee meeting where the issue of work-related injuries was discussed.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/05/24/2010-05-24_mta_bus_drivers_spat_on_by_riders_take_average_of_two_months_paid_leave_over_ass.html#ixzz0oxE0d6oG

There was probably some other things going on with these drivers (like a stressful job that demands a lot and a boss that's trying to make you look like the enemy), with the spitting being the proverbial last straw.

2 months is excedding...

BTW, MTA should really invest on driver partition in this fall when people realized the service is not fequent this past spring.

2 months is excedding...

BTW, MTA should really invest on driver partition in this fall when people realized the service is not fequent this past spring.

Let me see some one spit in A cops face and get away with it

None of you Endure the punishment we go through so stop right there with the time taken off cuz it ain't delaying your M21 's route to begin with.

(2) I would wish they spit on me cuz you ain't escaping through any open door Ill tell you that right now better find another way.

Let me spit in someones face and let's just see how it feels when you find out I had A sickness that will do alot more harm then you think

yeh I didn't think so. Let's not jump the gun with assaulting issues cuz it's quite clear we are behind Enemy lines everyday and we have no protection against the people.

Partitions hell no. Cameras yes

It's real good to have A detective in the Fam I'll tell you that

you try and go into A bus when it's hot as hell

then have to close another door and don't tell me the AC works cuz they'll send you out anyway ok

Once again live the life of an Operator and you will have A different aspect of it real Quick. (K)<R>

Depending if the bus op should go to the hospital to get checked out then I would say

No longer than 3 months if medical treatment is needed

but if not then A week.

^^^I agree on cameras. But partitions should be on all buses by now even it has limitations, MTA is taking too long for putting more security and safety features in place on buses.

Some how MTA needs to enlarge that sticker that assualting a B/O will get you in jail 7 years is too small in that font size at that size.

^^^I agree on cameras. But partitions should be on all buses by now even it has limitations, MTA is taking too long for putting more security and safety features in place on buses.

Some how MTA needs to enlarge that sticker that assualting a B/O will get you in jail 7 years is too small in that font size at that size.

(T)he sticker means nothing to me and the public cuz this stuff still goes on without A hitch so (N)on stop media coverage is A start along with A security feature on the bus that Enables the bus to be locked from within and Cams rollin To Command real time with the simple foot button that we already have that Summons the Call police (S)ign

people don't think of spitting on someone being an assault, because it doesn't involve a fist or a foot.... but someone else's saliva can be far more harmful in the long term than any person's kick or punch....

I knew of a kid that spit directly in another kid's eye... kid came back to school w/ an eye patch, ended up permanently blind in that eye....

hell, I've been spat at, on the train, but it didn't come close to hitting me; guy got pissed that I was the only person on that particular (subway) car that didn't give him "some change"... yeh, some homeless guy.... was his way of sending a message, I guess.... I didn't bother confrontin him b/c what's to stop him from spittin @ me again.. and landing... and me havin to go to the hospital or w/e to get checked out... didn't/don't know who the f*** has what these days... and quite frankly, seeing what I saw happened when I was in junior high school (kid, well grown man now that ended up blind), I aint want that to be me....

So, no debate from me about b/o's or whoever, taking a prolonged leave due to gettin spat on... even if it doesn't touch flesh, shit can be, and often is traumatizing....

especially if you're not in a particular position at that specific moment to rip his tongue out from his throat and wring it around his charmin neck....

but I digress....

There are a lot of lowlifes out there, I take it it's the homeless,drunks and druggies who do most of the spitting on B/O's and of course your typical disrespectful teenager.

I bet they spit when the bus is stopped with the front door open,I just can't picture somebody spitting on a B/O while the bus is in motion. The B/O has control, they can lock the doors, call console,etc. Somebody who would spit is a coward in the first place, which means they can't fight hand to hand.

I can picture console asking the B/O what did you say or do to make that person spit at you? They will preach to use verbal judo, but that doesn't work on a crazy person or a druggie.

Let me see some one spit in A cops face and get away with it

None of you Endure the punishment we go through so stop right there with the time taken off cuz it ain't delaying your M21 's route to begin with.

(2) I would wish they spit on me cuz you ain't escaping through any open door Ill tell you that right now better find another way.

Let me spit in someones face and let's just see how it feels when you find out I had A sickness that will do alot more harm then you think

yeh I didn't think so. Let's not jump the gun with assaulting issues cuz it's quite clear we are behind Enemy lines everyday and we have no protection against the people.

Partitions hell no. Cameras yes

It's real good to have A detective in the Fam I'll tell you that

you try and go into A bus when it's hot as hell

then have to close another door and don't tell me the AC works cuz they'll send you out anyway ok

Once again live the life of an Operator and you will have A different aspect of it real Quick. (K)<R>

Depending if the bus op should go to the hospital to get checked out then I would say

No longer than 3 months if medical treatment is needed

but if not then A week.

people don't think of spitting on someone being an assault, because it doesn't involve a fist or a foot.... but someone else's saliva can be far more harmful in the long term than any person's kick or punch....

I knew of a kid that spit directly in another kid's eye... kid came back to school w/ an eye patch, ended up permanently blind in that eye....

hell, I've been spat at, on the train, but it didn't come close to hitting me; guy got pissed that I was the only person on that particular (subway) car that didn't give him "some change"... yeh, some homeless guy.... was his way of sending a message, I guess.... I didn't bother confrontin him b/c what's to stop him from spittin @ me again.. and landing... and me havin to go to the hospital or w/e to get checked out... didn't/don't know who the f*** has what these days... and quite frankly, seeing what I saw happened when I was in junior high school (kid, well grown man now that ended up blind), I aint want that to be me....

So, no debate from me about b/o's or whoever, taking a prolonged leave due to gettin spat on... even if it doesn't touch flesh, shit can be, and often is traumatizing....

especially if you're not in a particular position at that specific moment to rip his tongue out from his throat and wring it around his charmin neck....

but I digress....

You'll never hear me complain about that. You don't deserve that sort of treatment while working, and who the hell is to tell anyone else what is considered to be traumatic or upsetting. Office types take off to get their hair done, but T/O's have to head right back in following a 12-9 and B/O's are going to receive complaints for being spit on?

Ever see the reaction of a suit and tie when coffee runs into his shirt? It goes a little something like this:

:eek: :mad: :cry:

There are a lot of lowlifes out there, I take it it's the homeless,drunks and druggies who do most of the spitting on B/O's and of course your typical disrespectful teenager.

I bet they spit when the bus is stopped with the front door open,I just can't picture somebody spitting on a B/O while the bus is in motion. The B/O has control, they can lock the doors, call console,etc. Somebody who would spit is a coward in the first place, which means they can't fight hand to hand.

I can picture console asking the B/O what did you say or do to make that person spit at you? They will preach to use verbal judo, but that doesn't work on a crazy person or a druggie.

The public is NOT always right. That statement has long been management's justification to point a finger and scapegoat subordinates.

I don't see why they need to take off at all. I once got kicked by a crackhead on a platform once and I didn't take off from work over it.

I don't see why you need to be out of line and obnoxious and make a comment like that at all. You should go back to that platform.

Gotta tell you, spit on me, I will respond like the Isrealis and break your jaw so you can't do it again, period. MTA Bus Operators are spit on, punched, verbally harassed daily aqnd management does little to stop or prevent it. The partition? MTA keeps giving out contracts for designing one to some midwest company, wasting $$$. To date, none meet the requirements due to glare and reflection, etc.

The MTA's finger pointing at the lowest employee levels is just to distract you from examing the same managers who caused the problems with their policies and decisions. All of the tops bosses have been here before, they have watched it burning and did nothing and now blame the TWU. Open your eyes, the rich and powerful from Bloomberg down, break the laws, keep getting richer watching us all fight over pennies! Dismantle the MTA completely, divide each section and open up bids to run it. Bring back competition and watch us really get our $$$ worth!

I don't see why you need to be out of line and obnoxious and make a comment like that at all. You should go back to that platform.

Actually I was serious. I tripped him by accident and he kicked me for it even after I apologized. And even more so on a crowded platform, no one did anything to help either because the guy was deranged. It was on the Atlantic-Pacific platform on my way to work. Maybe next time you'll use what little brains you have before you use the internet.

Originally Posted by Locomotion69

Actually no its not. It is everyday people that finally decides to take some action against the system. And yes the doors are open, it is MTA policy that while any assault is in progress the bus operator is to stop and open all doors to call for assistance.

I wonder why people feel the need to take their aggression out on a city bus operator. They don't call the shots, that's the bigheads' over at the (MTA) HQ's problem. Spit on those a**holes for ruining your service and mismanaging the system. All these guys do is slave their asses off getting you places because you're either too lazy to drive or too poor to buy a car. My two cents.

Actually I was serious. I tripped him by accident and he kicked me for it even after I apologized. And even more so on a crowded platform, no one did anything to help either because the guy was deranged. It was on the Atlantic-Pacific platform on my way to work. Maybe next time you'll use what little brains you have before you use the internet.

I wasn't implying that you weren't serious. I was making the point that you have no right to say what's considered a traumatic incident of hostility or assault, and you definitely shouldn't be making claims like "If I can go to work, so can they." You're not in a position to make those judgments, and the point isn't about what's true and what's false. Not to mention that you were on your way to work rather than already working when the incident occurred. There's a difference there.

And that last line was a gem, only supporting my original post about your lack of tact and qualifiable statements. Hang out with Jay Walder much?

I wasn't implying that you weren't serious. I was making the point that you have no right to say what's considered a traumatic incident of hostility or assault, and you definitely shouldn't be making claims like "If I can go to work, so can they." You're not in a position to make those judgments, and the point isn't about what's true and what's false. Not to mention that you were on your way to work rather than already working when the incident occurred. There's a difference there.

And that last line was a gem, only supporting my original post about your lack of tact and qualifiable statements. Hang out with Jay Walder much?

I come from a family of MTA bus drivers and have friends whose father's work for the MTA. I can't imagine ANY of them being traumatized because someone spit on them. The idea of it is ridiculous and the papers even reported some guys only take off because they can. It's expected and worse stuff can and does happen. If you can't be prepared for things like that, you don't belong in that job field. This is New York City. Crap happens here all the time. No one's going to hold you by the hand. And FYI you can't really tell me what I can say and what I can't since I'm allowed to have something called an opinion. Were you even raised in New York City?

I come from a family of MTA bus drivers and have friends whose father's work for the MTA. I can't imagine ANY of them being traumatized because someone spit on them. The idea of it is ridiculous and the papers even reported some guys only take off because they can. It's expected and worse stuff can and does happen. If you can't be prepared for things like that, you don't belong in that job field. This is New York City. Crap happens here all the time. No one's going to hold you by the hand. And FYI you can't really tell me what I can say and what I can't since I'm allowed to have something called an opinion. Were you even raised in New York City?
No one should be subjected to this type of treatment and it is traumatizing to some because you don't know what type of communicable Diseases people may have http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communicable_disease

Maybe some MTA guys could help me out with this, but can you guys take a leave of absence on "stress"? They started this at CTTransit a couple of years ago for a reasons I'll write below....

About 10-15 years ago Hartford was going though a rough spot as far as crime and gangs were concerned and violence on transit buses was not unheard of. One driver was threatened with a gun to his head one night and took time off as a result. He was forced back to work because the company doctor thought he was good to come back....first day back on the road, he had a total breakdown and was medically retired because his mental state was so unstable that to this day he remains in a state hospital.

Another driver was threatened repeatedly,slapped around a couple of times and shot at while operating his route though this particular neighborhood. As with the first operator he took some time off but was forced back by the company doctor. Only he didn't come back...he shot himself the night before his return to service.

Hence,CTTransit has a stress policy and I believe that you can stay out for a whole year if need be.

Now those two events are more severe than getting "spit" on. Nobody here has to be told that driving a bus,whether a schoolie,transit or motorcoach, is stressful. But I think all drivers think "It will never happen to me,no one will spit,hit,etc. on me" and when it happens its definitely will put people in a vulnerable position. If someone is already on the brink of an emotional breakdown, a traumatic event could just push them over the brink and I could see being out for 5-6 months to get your head right.

Sorry for the long post, but to tell someone to just get over it is wrong. As a passenger, I want someone in the seat that is comfortable being there,not constantly looking over their shoulder and suspecting every passenger.Also, I know there is a push to get shields a la Greyhound, I hope that doesn't come about...IMHO it just gonna erode driver/passenger relations even further.

Sorry for the long post, but to tell someone to just get over it is wrong. As a passenger, I want someone in the seat that is comfortable being there,not constantly looking over their shoulder and suspecting every passenger.Also, I know there is a push to get shields a la Greyhound, I hope that doesn't come about...IMHO it just gonna erode driver/passenger relations even further.
No need to apologize BZGuy very informative reading material and it was sad to read about the Operator shooting himself

No one should be subjected to this type of treatment and it is traumatizing to some because you don't know what type of communicable Diseases people may have http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communicable_disease

True and I never said they should be subjected but that can happen anywhere to anyone. To take off a handful of days for it is ridiculous. And it's to be expected that people would do such a thing. Respect is a fading concept in any public environment. If you can't come to terms with the risks, don't take the job.

And what makes a bus driver more special than any other worker? Do cops take time off? Do teachers? Do retail workers?

True and I never said they should be subjected but that can happen anywhere to anyone. To take off a handful of days for it is ridiculous.

Did you read any of my previous post? If you did you would have never wrote that.

And it's to be expected that people would do such a thing

WOW....I mean WOW. It expected that people are gonna spit on us,hit us and do other things. So (MTA) personnel are just the city's punching bag?

If you can't come to terms with the risks, don't take the job.

And what makes a bus driver more special than any other worker? Do cops take time off? Do teachers? Do retail workers?

Again....just WOW. That bum must have really kicked something loose in you to be so callous.

Yes there are risks to this job,we all know it when we take it. However when something traumatic happens you cannot expect anybody to be pulling their run the next day. That Canadian greyhound driver,the one that had the beheading...I've heard he's still out. But by your logic he should be pulling his schedule in the same bus right.

Bus drivers are not more special than cops,firefighters,teachers,and etc. But the job has it stresses. We joke that's why guys either eat,drink,or smoke alot. I'm sure KR,B/O3319 and others can tell about how many drivers quit because they can't handle the job. At Bonanza I'm the last of a class of 7,and we don't deal with half the crap (MTA) B/Os put up with.

BZGuy I don't think she knows what type of deranged people we deal with I don't know what her position is within the TA but I can only assume it's either a token booth clerk or a Conductor both of which positions are not at the mercy of the public She has a barrier where as we don't to me this is the ultimate slap in the face lets not forget about what happened to Edwin Thomas the Bus Operator assigned to Flatbush Depot who was killed over a transfer a little over 2 years ago

as far as Teachers are concerned I have an aunt who has 30 some odd years as a New York City school Teacher and She/they can take Sabbaticals which is paid leave for up to six months

Archived