Transit funding bill needs your support!!!!

metsfan

Copied from the email....

Hey,

Did you hear the good news for public transit? A new bill was just introduced in the Senate that would provide $2 billion in grants for transit agencies across the US for preserving service - and it couldn't come at a better time.

Hundreds of transit agencies are running out of money: they're hiking fares, cutting back on services, and laying off workers. We can't wait any longer for Congress to pass transit relief.

Can you take a minute to join me in writing your senators? You can tell them to support emergency funding for our nation's transit systems here:

http://action.smartgrowthamerica.org/t/3224/campaign.jsp?campaign_KEY=2468

Guys, this is really important, please take the time to use the page to send the message out, and copy & paste it so others can as well.

- A

Guys, they can CANCEL the picking and have everyone re-pick. So if this bill passes then the (M2) and (V) and (W) as well as many other bus and subway lines at risk can be retained!!!

Guys, they can CANCEL the picking and have everyone re-pick. So if this bill passes then the (M2) and (V) and (W) as well as many other bus and subway lines at risk can be retained!!!

That depends on how long it takes for the bill to reach the senate floor, and IF it passes. It doesn't help that this is coming down to the 11th hour.

Exactly. Maybe if people stop running their mouths and do something, maybe things like the new (M) can be stopped.

Absolutely. This is OUR service, the MTA is providing it for us. We have the ability to fight down the cuts but if people don't take the initiative and are nonchalant about it then what else can be done???

That depends on how long it takes for the bill to reach the senate floor, and IF it passes. It doesn't help that this is coming down to the 11th hour.

Well let's sit down and see what happens. I have faith that something can be done to axe the cuts but it's up to us. We can rant about how much we hate the cuts but if we don't do something about it then they'll go forth.

Our PA state reps and state senators are backing a similar measure in PA which would be similar to the backstop funding MTA received to spare the worst of the cuts and fare increases for SEPTA, PAT and other pennsylvania transit systems.

Only a few million dollars per agency would end up canceling out most fare increases and service reductions. I am unsure about re-hiring, or employment effects, but i'm sure keeping riders would probably equate keeping employees as well.

Tell everyone you know, send them the link, if we pull together, this would be the railfan community contribution to the systems we love to watch and ride so much.

This fight is far from over, this is just the first step towards a better future with public transportation leading the way. We can do it!!!

- A

I myself just sent the e-mail... Hope it gets through, because if Metrocards for students are cut (and not ever brought back), there is not much chance that I could afford to pay just to get to school. Oh well, this is what happens when one's family of lower-middle class background lives in New York City in 2010. I can't imagine how expensive a regular Metrocard will be by the time I'm 20...SMH.:tdown:

Archived