Could the BP Gulf of Mexico Oil Diaster become Obama's "Katrina?"

Shortline Bus

Guys a question. As the BP Oil Spill Gulf of Mexico Mess of 2010 approaches 30 days since the Catastrophe hit, President Obama is now facing intense pressure to solve it asap.

Some political officals believe if this disaster is not soon put under control, that his plans for re-election in 2012 could be in deep trouble? Could this mess become for Obama, what Hurricane Katrina was for Pres. Bush, and going back 30 years what the Iran hostage crisis did to ruin Pres. Carter as well?

Not to mention the fishing industry being ruined and taking years to recover in Gulf States region just recovering from Katrina. And also oil now starting to wash up in Mexico and parts of the carribean as well?

What you guys think?

Palin is blaming Obama for this mess, that's something.

Also the polls show that his approval rating slipped again because of this mess.

Palin blames Obama for when it rains outside too. She is Just planning a GOP Primary run in 2012.B):eek:

While no doubt this was an accident but neglient while BP does deserve most of the blame Team Obama also should be some criticism. For not taking drastic steps like they doing now such as using the US Coast Guard and other military personal/equipment much sooner.

This could possibly impeach Obama.and now you have a possible Korean war 2(KW2) as well as Dudus.2010 is one interesting year.I think that topkill idea isnt working.why would they delay top kill for 16 hours?And the video looked as if the oil was forcing the cement mud out with the oil.This is all an inside job.

Palin is blaming Obama for this mess, that's something.

Sarah Palin sucks. Plain and simple. If that, er, HORRIBLE, ahem, person, gets elected in 2012, Americans will be pining for the glory days of Herbert Hoover and Dubya Bush. Yes, it will be that bad.

And that's me putting it nicely.

President Bush's popularity took a big hit after hurricane katrina and what he did about it. The katrina incident also is a major event of the Bush administration.

They make this comparison since Obama's popularity will likely take a big hit as well and this is a major event of the Obama administration.

Also both incidents happened in the same area so another reason to make this comparison

Well, it is Obama Administation's fault for being ignorant on maintaining the Oil Rig

The downward spiral of ignorant posts begins anew...

You do realize that the "oil rig" in question, built in 2001, is owned by Transocean and leased to BP (both private companies)...neither of which have anything whatsoever to do with the Federal Government - this administration OR the last? AND that if it really was the federal governments job to "maintain" the oil rig as you claim (Note: it isn't) that your, I mean your parents', taxes would be even higher than they already are?

This isn't Obama's Katrina. Katrina was a **** up because there was warning of the impending disaster, and that idiot Bush decided to ignore it. This is a whole new ballgame where for whatever reason, Obama decided to let the idiots (BP) fix their own **** up, which has now morphed into his own **** up because of the lack of government intervention. Joe is right to blame Bush since BP followed Bush regime ethics that hasn't been revised to real standards.

Well, it is BP/Transocean's need to maintain it but the Government still needs to get information about the Oil Rig and inspect it or keep an eye on it. The government does not manage it fully but still there is a department in the government responsible to get data or information about the structure. Like the DOB in NYC for example.

Well, for once, you have a valid point (in the area of inspections not "maintenance") - which is why you must choose words carefully (something you don't do). However it is a very invalid claim to blame Obama for a trend that started back in 2005.

The federal agency responsible for ensuring that an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico was operating safely before it exploded last month fell well short of its own policy that the oil rig be inspected at least once per month, an Associated Press investigation shows.

Since January 2005, the federal Minerals Management Service conducted at least 16 fewer inspections aboard the Deepwater Horizon than it should have under the policy, a dramatic fall from the frequency of prior years, according to the agency's records.

Well, there is still ignorance from the Obama Administration for failing to recognize the policy set by the Federal Agency, as it is revealed as the Federal Minerals Management Service which also failed too meet the policy set by themselves. Both the Obama Administration and the Federal Agency should set a new policy that must be tougher to make sure something like the recent BP - Transocean Oil Rig Disaster never happens again. Enforcement shall come into play...

The point of creating those agencies (such as the FMMS) is so that the president and his administration DON'T have to deal with it. It's called delegating responsibilities. Using your logic, the president could theoretically be blamed for everything that goes wrong anywhere in the US. "FDA allowed tainted cheese to hit the market, whoops, blame the pres." But that's not the way things work. Those involved need to be held accountable for what happened, and it's very easy to point fingers and blame "the government" but that's not on the president. The bulk of the responsibility lies with BP (some lies with the FMMS).

Hell you blaming the president is like blaming Jeffrey Immelt personally when NBC airs a crappy program on television.

The Bush case (Katrina) was different because he had the authority to do something, it was brought to his attention early, and he did not do anything until well after disaster had already struck. He WAS the one who had a responsibility to react, there was no agency "on whose watch" it occurred. And before you tell me about FEMA, remember - the president's authority is required before FEMA can respond - which is exactly what didn't happen.

Well, for once, you have a valid point (in the area of inspections not "maintenance") - which is why you must choose words carefully (something you don't do). However it is a very invalid claim to blame Obama for a trend that started back in 2005.

Not a guy who blames in kicking a guy and group of people when they kicked on 1,000,000 times already. However from this excellent associated press report showing going back to 2006, that Subway Guy provided us, sounds like inspections was at best done less frequent than most people has done for oil changes.

Unfair or not, the crisis of ending this disater now falls on the shoulders of Obama and his team. If his adminstatrtion fixes this problem 'quick' in next week or two, I don't this mess, will hurt too much in 2012. However, if this drags on for another month or longer, this can sink Obama into Bush(post Katrina) like approval numbers and hurt his chances of being re-elected. :confused:

I love how she's blaming Obama. Wasn't she the one getting folks riled up to say "Drill baby Drill!?" Feel free to correct me guys but if anything that bitch should be eating her words right now.

She (and everyone who said "Drill Baby Drill) should be on cleanup duty in Louisiana!

I would argue that this is more of an attack on the right wing because of a few reasons:

1) Palin said "Drill, Baby, Drill!" I bet she feels pretty stupid right now. Oh, wait, stupid people never realize that they're stupid.

2) This is a perfect example of why strict government regulations need to be placed on the private sector. Obviously, BP was running this thing all willy-nilly.

3) This illustrates why environmental protection and concern is of utmost importance. Several industries are affected by this, including fishing and tourism. This could be detrimental to the Gulf Coast economy.As a result, no matter how hard you think that environmental destruction is something invented by liberals. it's evident how important the environment is to the well-being of the nation.

I do think Obama needs to be a little more assertive though.

I love how she's blaming Obama. Wasn't she the one getting folks riled up to say "Drill baby Drill!?" Feel free to correct me guys but if anything that bitch should be eating her words right now.

Yup she did. She's part of the TPM and she just wants the left wing to look bad. It's the constant game of politics.

Archived