Your favorite NYC Bridges and Tunnels....

bstar1

NYCDOT

In order:

1. Brooklyn Bridge

2. Manhattan Bridge

3. Williamsburg Bridge

4. Willis Av Bridge

5. 135th St Bridge

6. 145th St Bridge

7. Macombs Dam Bridge

8. University Heights Bridge

9. Pulusaki Bridge

10. Broadway Bridge

11. Joseph P. Addabo Bridge

(MTA) Bridges

1. Robert F. Kennedy Bridge

2. Bronx Whitestone Bridge

3. Cross Bay Veterans Memorial Bridge

4. Gil Hodge Bridge

5. Verrazaro Narrows Bridge

Pedestrain Bridges:

1. Chambers St

2. Vesey St

Stay away from the throgs neck bridge after 2pm during the day going into queens. they have 1 lane shut down by the cross island and its horrendous.

Tri-boro is actually verry good. queensboro bridge is ok but the traffic on there is a catastrophe, so is the roadway in queens approaching the bridge.

Whitestone can be a mess at times and it looks like that bridge is ready to collpase. the best bridge I've been on is the tap, usually moving well and there's no weird speed restrictions like the mta bridges in the city.

Stay away from the throgs neck bridge after 2pm during the day going into queens. they have 1 lane shut down by the cross island and its horrendous.

Tri-boro is actually verry good. queensboro bridge is ok but the traffic on there is a catastrophe, so is the roadway in queens approaching the bridge.

Whitestone can be a mess at times and it looks like that bridge is ready to collpase. the best bridge I've been on is the tap, usually moving well and there's no weird speed restrictions like the mta bridges in the city.

Well, for the Throgs Neck Bridge, there is on-going construction until furthur notice, it is a stay away because after 2PM, it is bumper to bumper from Bronx to Queens.

Tri-Boro and Queensboro is great. For Whitestone, it does look like it's bout to collapse, but actually it is more structurally sound than the Tappan Zee Bridge which could give away anytime and unexpectedly because it is using like material as the old I-35W Bridge of Minnesota...

I take the RFK/Triboro (usually to Manhattan) in the a.m. and occasionally the Third Avenue Bridge, which is shit. On the way home, I take the Throgs Neck, dumping me out past all of that inner city congestion. I will NEVER take that into Queens unless I absolutely have to.

The Goethals is another one to avoid. I hate driving that with a truck into Jersey; wait for a gap, straddle both lanes and piss the hell out of the people behind me. Screw 'em! :P

Mega is right about the TZB. Dan, since you're a regular on that pass, have you heard anything about a rebuild? They've been talking that for years.

My favorites? The Brooklyn Bridge for regular vehicle travel and walking (not to mention that we both have the same birthday :cool:). The Manhattan for truck travel. The Verrazano, the Kosciuszko, the Tap and the Gil Hodges for the views. The Carroll Street Bridge in the Gowanus section of Brooklyn is one I love for the plain look but the unique retractile function (the oldest in U.S., and one of four still in existence). For cutting across Brooklyn borough (and for the enjoyment of seeing the look of horror on the faces of the drivers surrounding me as I pass the 3 Ton Limit sign), I enjoy driving my work truck over the Mill Basin Drawbridge at speed limit.

The Hell Gate, to me is a work of art, and it's my favorite bridge by far. While not a bridge, my favorite span of driving in the city is 278-West, the lower deck of the Brooklyn Heights Promenade span. Driving through there at dawn offers a spectacular view of the sun rising over downtown Manhattan and Governor's Island. And for underground vehicular travel, I love the Holland (provided that it's not during the rush! :))

• 2 years later...

Because the hackers screw'd up my posts above. I'll re-post my list below:

Top 5 Bridges:

5. Bronx-Whitestone Bridge - Despite the narrowness of the bridge, it's a thrill ride on that one, you simply can view the Bronx and Queens in awesomeness!

4. Brooklyn Bridge - What's not to like about this bridge? Just one amazing structure and walkway!

3. Queensboro Bridge/59th St. Bridge - The view is amazing, gotta take the upper level!

2. Verrazano-Narrows Bridge - Same reason as the GWB!

1. George Washington Bridge - Simply for the fact that it's like an auto-call for "Road Trip" or "Weekend Getaway" and the Bridge looks so darn solid!

Top 2 Tunnels:

2. Queens-Midtown Tunnel: Simply awesome approach from the LIE to the tunnel portals, love the industrial jungle views and the billboards, and the awesome descent!

1. Lincoln Tunnel: Despite the traffic, it's a thrill ride on NJ-495 approach, both ways on the helix, that awesome portal, and the NYC approach where I can view all the MCI's, NeoPlans, Nabis and such scramble to their right lanes and gates! And heck that calls for "Road Trip" or "Weekend Getaway" too!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MTA Bus

My two favorite bridges are

1. Queensboro Bridge: I used to live next to it, It's mentioned in one of my favorite shows, and It looks awesome over the East River.

2. First bridge I've seen that connects three boroughs. Also, reminds me of my favorite former PBL company, Triboro Coach.

• 2 weeks later...

It's funny nobody said the Throgs Neck bridge, which is what I'm gonna have to say considering I see the lights on it every night.

I've rode Coach USA numerous times on that bridge, the drivers who use those bridge are kinda careless so it ruined my experiences, =P... It's number 6 for now, until I get 2 times smooth ride over that structure.

Archived