Kawasaki Rail Car, Inc., to build new Metrorail cars

WMATA

This news isn't completely new as Kawasaki was the favorite since April. It just wasn't official until yesterday.

As I've said before, I'll miss the Rohrs. I hope Metro can preserve a couple of them for a rail museum.

For Dulles rail extensions; replace Metro's Series 1000 rail cars

Metro’s Board of Directors approved a contract today (May 27) to have Kawasaki Rail Car, Inc., manufacture 428 new generation Metrorail cars known as the Series 7000 cars at a cost of $886 million. The cars will address Metro’s number one safety priority to replace its oldest rail cars (Series 1000).

Of the 428 cars, 128 of the cars will enable the expansion of Metro service on the Dulles rail corridor and 300 of the cars will be used to replace Metro’s oldest rail cars (Series 1000), which will improve safety and reliability of Metro’s fleet. The Dulles rail cars will be funded by the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority...

http://www.wmata.com/about_metro/news/PressReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=4469

Dammit I was hoping for longitudinal seating :(

Yeah, longitudinal seating would be nice, especially considering trains will be flowing out to Dulles Airport once the Silver line expansion is completed. It might be a headache for those with lots of luggage. I think Metro did experiment with that seating style to gauge customer reaction.

I wish they'd add 4 doors per side rather than sticking with 3. It would make loading and unloading quicker. The trains are going to be 75 feet long so why not?

Yeah, longitudinal seating would be nice, especially considering trains will be flowing out to Dulles Airport once the Silver line expansion is completed. It might be a headache for those with lots of luggage. I think Metro did experiment with that seating style to gauge customer reaction.

I wish they'd add 4 doors per side rather than sticking with 3. It would make loading and unloading quicker. The trains are going to be 75 feet long so why not?

Exactly, for a 75 foot subway car to have only 3 doors per side is absurd. Might as well make them 60 feet long for that matter but just longer trains. Side question, could a NYC IRT subway car fit in WMATA's tunnels? I know the trains sit up a bit higher up there but it could be lowered.

They might fit since they are only 2 or so inches taller, but they aren't wide enough to use WMATA platforms.

And 75' with 3 doors is what we have in LA for about the same ridership per mile. Seems about right to me. BART cars only have two doors!

PATH does just fine with 2 and 3 doors.

- A

Orange and Red line trains are packed beyond capacity during peak hours, even on 8 car trains. I'm just looking at a way for help speed up loading and offloading "customers." The 4000 series is supposed to be compatible with the 7000s (currently, no car will be compatible with the 7000 series) post rehab so maybe that had something to do with the decision.

Archived