MTA: Big delay for Second Avenue subway

Trainspotter

MTA: Big delay for Second Avenue subway

The Second Avenue Subway will be delayed yet again, nearly a century after it was first proposed. Rising construction costs have pushed back the long-awaited companion to the overcrowded Lexington Avenue line until June 2015, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority said Wednesday.

Commuters on the packed downtown platform at the 51st and Lexington station were in no mood to sympathize during the Wednesday's evening rush hour. "It's bordering on incompetence at this point," said Max Chee, 35, who was trying to get home to Park Slope. "By the time it's eventually ready I'll be retired."

The one-year delay - the second such postponement in recent months - affects the first stage of the Second Avenue line that will connect 96th Street to 63rd Street.

Full story: amny_logo.gif icon_offsite.png - February 28, 2008

*Sigh.

Nothing that the MTA seems to do surprises me. It was a little too good to be true but it is a long time span. But I think they need to consider a few things when building the stations to make it look nice, but make it nice thats its cost efficient for them.

Too many projects going on at once. They should of prioritize their projects. ESA I think should of taken a back seat to the SAS, so if cost rises, they would have the funds to deal with it.

Absolutely. And what's worse, is you're going to have ESA completed and lots of LIRR passengers coming into Grand Central with just the one subway line (Lexington) to get them to their ultimate destination, so it's only going to make crowding worse...

Completing the first 3 phases of SAS first would have made much more sense if you ask me..

Absolutely. And what's worse, is you're going to have ESA completed and lots of LIRR passengers coming into Grand Central with just the one subway line (Lexington) to get them to their ultimate destination, so it's only going to make crowding worse...

Completing the first 3 phases of SAS first would have made much more sense if you ask me..

You hit a valid point. The MTA thinks the ESA will get those who want to go to Midtown to Midtown. They forget alot of those people work on the east-side south of Grand Central, and will use the east-side subway, and not the west-side and crosstown bus as they did in days past. The (4), (5), and (6) will be gettin' it NYPD style soon.

Archived