A few questions

R42 M Train

What is the rules concerning photography?

If I want to take pics of trains at say, Jamaica Station. Do I have to pay anything if I'm not going to ride and just taking pictures?

Which LIRR models have RFWs and what branches can they be found?

Thanks

What is the rules concerning photography?

If you're talking about legal issues, photography is allowed...but personnel and cops have their very own right to ask what you're doing. Many of them are aware of rail buffs, it's just their job to ask. So be cordial with them and they'll be likewise.

If I want to take pics of trains at say, Jamaica Station. Do I have to pay anything if I'm not going to ride and just taking pictures?

If you're going to be taking photos only on the platform, then you're safe because the railroad is not in an enclosed fare system like the subway is.

Which LIRR models have RFWs and what branches can they be found?

AFAIK the M3s have RFWs...I think the M7s allow you to have a window as well but there's a door that the motorman can open or close that will allow passengers to sit in the front of the car so if they close it you're out of luck.

On LIRR M7s there is only a small window which has a privacy sort of screen like the R160s except there's alittle more visability. Alot of times though the train engineers put up one of the advertisement posters in front of the window giving you no veiw. So your best bet is to catch and M3.

Are you sure the M7 has any form of RFW? When I last saw the front door of an M7, it was a solid blue door.

The M3's are not hard to find during the rush hours, especially if you're waiting at Jamaica. Off-peak weekdays, you might find some. Weekends, they usually don't run.

Are you sure the M7 has any form of RFW? When I last saw the front door of an M7, it was a solid blue door.

The M3's are not hard to find during the rush hours, especially if you're waiting at Jamaica. Off-peak weekdays, you might find some. Weekends, they usually don't run.

Yes they have a little square window.

Archived