(J) Tastic

R44 CNG

I have a question about this:

In many stations and tunnels, you see red signals like this:

The signal is facing the opposite way the train is coming. How would the trip work in these situations?

A trip stop is always located on the left side of the tracks on the BMT/IND Divisions. A BMT/IND train would have a trip cock only on the left side of the train. Therefore in this situation the train is not affected since the trip stop is located on the opposite side of where the trip cock is on the train. That signal is to prevent trains facing that signal direction from further passing the signal.

So the train tripped,whats the bid deal if his video cAught it?

... Ive never been on the J where it tripped at that curve. Every T/O who was operating when I was on slowed down enough. If you dont trip you will derail the train at those sharp curves...

Doesnt the MTA know that this train tripped? Or can the T/O get away with resetting it on his own somehow?

A trip stop is always located on the left side of the tracks on the BMT/IND Divisions. A BMT/IND train would have a trip cock only on the left side of the train. Therefore in this situation the train is not affected since the trip stop is located on the opposite side of where the trip cock is on the train. That signal is to prevent trains facing that signal direction from further passing the signal.

It's still down since there would be a trip to hit the train stop on the other side of the car.

So the train tripped,whats the bid deal if his video cAught it?

... Ive never been on the J where it tripped at that curve. Every T/O who was operating when I was on slowed down enough. If you dont trip you will derail the train at those sharp curves...

Doesnt the MTA know that this train tripped? Or can the T/O get away with resetting it on his own somehow?

I'm assuming they can.

Our system uses trip cocks on one side of the passenger trains only.

But think about it. If the trip is on the left side of the car when you are facing one way, then turn around to face the other direction... It's on the left side in that direction, too. Therefore a train stop can trip a train if it's up on either side of the track. Either that or break the trip. That's why reverse signal's trips have to go down also. Even if no train is running in that direction.

Archived