FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread

MTR Admiralty

Discuss the World Cup 2010 stuff here. 11 June: USA vs Britain.

By the way, who do you think will win the World Cup this year?

As you aware MTR, Soccer(aka football in rest of world outside of the US and Canada)is not popular in these parts. I do try to follow the UK Preimer League on occasion both online and watching on the Fox Sports "Soccer" Channel and ESPN2.

I dont know much about soccer but i know more than many Americans lol.;)

Since The US is in maybe arguably the 'weakest division' or group in the first time this year, they should be able to make it at least to the 2nd round. If not it be a huge disappointment for them.

Just will watch the matches for fun and excitment and hopes the world cup returns to USA in near future. And MTR is soccer your favorite sport to follow? MTR you never post in the other sports threads such as baseball American Football/NFL and Basketball so curious.

As you aware MTR, Soccer(aka football in rest of world outside of the US and Canada)is not popular in these parts. I do try to follow the UK Preimer League on occasion both online and watching on the Fox Sports "Soccer" Channel and ESPN2.

I dont know much about soccer but i know more than many Americans lol.;)

Since The US is in maybe arguably the 'weakest division' or group in the first time this year, they should be able to make it at least to the 2nd round. If not it be a huge disappointment for them.

Just will watch the matches for fun and excitment and hopes the world cup returns to USA in near future. And MTR is soccer your favorite sport to follow? MTR you never post in the other sports threads such as baseball American Football/NFL and Basketball so curious.

In America, actually, we play it more than we watch it. You can go to every major park and find people playing it. Sides, scoring is much more easily done in basketball and baseball. And American football involves intense action: such as the tackling, that we always love. My maxim is: "Playing is better than watching" However, people still watch it here.

I only made this thread because it's not there, and it's coming. Also, its a huge event unlike the yearly seasons that we love to follow. I try not to post anything in the sports threads in general, I'm just being honest. I'll be happy to discuss it in person, but not online.

As much as I love America, Britain is more likely to win the match on the 11th. America did play some other countries and won, but I doubt with Britain.

And oh by the way, check your tone. If you want to spite me for making this thread and not posting elsewhere, I would be more than happy to respond to a PM. I don't readily digest bullsh*t. And do me, and the others, a huge favour and stop multi-posting here and elsewhere, it's getting annoying.

Now let's move this back to the World Cup.

I'm not a soccer fan (I should be), but I'm pretty sure that Brazil or one of those countries is gonna win. Now if the U.S. wins, that'd be something.

People are saying that Spain looks ripe for the win this summer. I have doubt England or France could make it to the semifinals. Portugal's pretty good, too. But I also thinking that Brazil could pull the win this year.

In America, actually, we play it more than we watch it. You can go to every major park and find people playing it. Sides, scoring is much more easily done in basketball and baseball. And American football involves intense action: such as the tackling, that we always love. My maxim is: "Playing is better than watching" However, people still watch it here.

I only made this thread because it's not there, and it's coming. Also, its a huge event unlike the yearly seasons that we love to follow. I try not to post anything in the sports threads in general, I'm just being honest. I'll be happy to discuss it in person, but not online.

As much as I love America, Britain is more likely to win the match on the 11th. America did play some other countries and won, but I doubt with Britain.

And oh by the way, check your tone. If you want to spite me for making this thread and not posting elsewhere, I would be more than happy to respond to a PM. I don't readily digest bullsh*t. And do me, and the others, a huge favour and stop multi-posting here and elsewhere, it's getting annoying.

Now let's move this back to the World Cup.

MTR can't you take jokes i was not teasing So i am sorry. I won't joke with you anymore and sorry what i meant. If you don't like what i said then dont listen to me.

I say it all the time on 'stole my idea' comment to my students and co- workers at work on that so i did not mean it. MTR You need to calm down. Other members say far worse on here. Sorry to be blunt MTR When you get to college you won't have much friends with that attitude if you so serious. Try not to be so serious you know me by me i say some stupid things.

And MTR the double posting was me trying to edit my comments in previous posts.

There are times when I am serious and there are times when I am not. I was only responding seriously because you were making it sound serious. That's how I perceive of it. Because to be honest, I seriously don't see how all of this is a joke. I mean, it's cool to be light. Now I get the "that was my idea" as a joke, but all the other comments, nuh uh. You want to be blunt with me, and I am going to be blunt with you as well: Keep in mind, you have to be careful especially if you don't know the person that well. It's not like you know everyone here on the forums that well. I don't know everyone on the forum, so I refrain from possibly insulting people, understand? I don't want to accidentally insult people, nor do I want other people to do the same.

Now if you want to rectify previous comments, there is an edit button, I'm sure. If you can't locate it, ask a mod or Harry.

Let's not diverge again.

MTR he's pissed of because you stole his idea, trust me he wasn't joking.

Ideas are not stolen. You don't pay anybody to get an "idea". They just come to you. The light came to me, and I reacted. If he is pissed at me for THAT kind of reason, I beg pardon but, that is completely inane. That's how I feel of it.

He can freely post updates to the thread, I didn't disallow him of that.

By the way: 10 days till the first matches begin.

Here is a schedule of matches: http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament/competition/64/42/24/2010fwc_matchschedule_3004_en.pdf

I love the FIFA World Cup. Way better than the Olympics, and whoever claims that "soccer is boring to watch and is difficult to understand except for that 'GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL' dude" is an out-of-shape ass who's just jealous that he or she can't hack it without hacking.

That having been stated, I'll put in my top two finishers from each group:

A: 1 - Uruguay; 2 - France (I'd really like to see South Africa put on a strong showing for the home crowd, but I just don't see that happening)

B: 1 - Argentina; 2 - Greece

C: 1 - England; 2 - USA (provided that they don't give up any weak goals to Slovenia or Algeria and miss a chance to advance)

D: 1 - Germany; 2 - Serbia

E: 1 - The Netherlands; 2 - Cameroon

F: 1 - Italy; 2 - Paraguay

G: 1 - Brazil; 2 - Côte d'Ivoire (I'm serious; Cristiano Ronaldo was too busy showcasing his footwork and pretty-boy image in '06, and Portugal pissed me off by not finishing second or better; watch for an early fade this year)

H: 1 - Chile; 2 - Spain

Round of 16 winners (refer to the bracket to determine match-ups):

Uruguay; England; The Netherlands; Spain (Watch them re-up in after a sub-par group stage); Germany; Argentina; Italy; Côte d'Ivoire :eek:

Quarterfinals winners:

England; Spain; Germany; Italy

Semifinals winners:

Spain; Italy

And lastly... my final four predictions...

4... England (L, 2-2 [2-3])

3... Germany (W, 2-2 [3-2])

2... Italy (L, 1-3)

1... Spain (W, 3-1)

We'll see what happens! :cool:

Not to get too off topic but i have a major question for MTR, Rutgers and other soccer fans here on the boards?

Why does soccer still does not have instant replays at least for disputed goal/scoring situations? There has been many controversial goals that replay might have solved such as in 1986 in Mexico when Diego Maradona in i think the quaterfinal round ( I saw that game on spanish channel Univision)for Argentina over England.

Maradona scored the controversial 'hand from god' play which is still maybe the most debated event in soccer history.

So just like baseball, soccer is the last major international sport that does not review for replays. Reactions Rutgers, MTR or other soccer fans here?

Not to get too off topic but i have a major question for MTR, Rutgers and other soccer fans here on the boards?

Why does soccer still does not have instant replays at least for disputed goal/scoring situations? There has been many controversial goals that replay might have solved such as in 1986 in Mexico when Diego Maradona in i think the quaterfinal round ( I saw that game on spanish channel Univision)for Argentina over England.

Maradona scored the controversial 'hand from god' play which is still maybe the most debated event in soccer history.

So just like baseball, soccer is the last major international sport that does not review for replays. Reactions Rutgers, MTR or other soccer fans here?

You know, I really think they should. Because there are very contested scenarios. But then again, it could be the time thing too, and you must have consensus from the coaches and those presiding over the event.

BTW, the Daily News printed a 48 page guide to the World Cup. It's really good. The Kiwis are going to be flattened in the first round.

You know, I really think they should. Because there are very contested scenarios. But then again, it could be the time thing too, and you must have consensus from the coaches and those presiding over the event.

BTW, the Daily News printed a 48 page guide to the World Cup. It's really good. The Kiwis are going to be flattened in the first round.

If you can watch 'hockey' or baseball you can watch soccer so i think it gets a bad rep by many people in the US.

Again, if replay ever came to soccer imo it should be only on disputed goals situations. I am sure MTR you hear about the bad call this past week in baseball and that disputed bad call by the umpire on a perfect game.

Mark my words in a world cup maybe as soon as this year's one, there will be a disputed goal that the refs will miss that be highly controversial as i think this '10 world cup will be the first global soccer tournment to have all of it's games in Digital TV. A bad call will lead more soccer fans to demand replay soon imo.

Other changes i like to see to soccer.

1)"Stoppage change" (ie time added for injury time outs/player switchs, etc.)should be offically listed both on TV and at the stadium.

2)There should not be any Penalty kicks aka 'shootout' especially in a world cup title game or say other championship games. Play 'overtime' til a winner is determined like post season NHL hockey.

Just my takes.

If you can watch 'hockey' or baseball you can watch soccer so i think it gets a bad rep by many people in the US.

Again, if replay ever came to soccer imo it should be only on disputed goals situations. I am sure MTR you hear about the bad call this past week in baseball and that disputed bad call by the umpire on a perfect game.

Mark my words in a world cup maybe as soon as this year's one, there will be a disputed goal that the refs will miss that be highly controversial as i think this '10 world cup will be the first global soccer tournment to have all of it's games in Digital TV. A bad call will lead more soccer fans to demand replay soon imo.

Other changes i like to see to soccer.

1)"Stoppage change" (ie time added for injury time outs/player switchs, etc.)should be offically listed both on TV and at the stadium.

2)There should not be any Penalty kicks aka 'shootout' especially in a world cup title game or say other championship games. Play 'overtime' til a winner is determined like post season NHL hockey.

Just my takes.

They should keep the PK, IMO. The rationale for contested scoring is that the coach of the team that just scored would definitely not want a replay. Goals are not easy to score. It's not like basketball where it's fast and points go up every 2 or 3 minutes. There, a replay won't hurt that much.

How come nobody on this thread is giving Argentina any chance to go deep in the World Cup? Like somebody else said on here,watching the World Cup is way better then watching the Olympics.

Agreed:tup:. Among the world's major team sports, the FIFA world cup is by far the best and most competative. Second IMO is hockey either at the Olympics or the World Championships mainly when NHL players are playing.

Baseball's WBC and Basketball world championships/Olympics is not that great since only a few countries for now have a real chance of winning their tournment.

In hoops, it's the USA then Spain, Crototia, Russia, Georgia(the country)and Brazil among others. While in Baseball, it's Japan, the DR, Puerto Rico, Korea and of course the USA.:eek::confused:

Friday June 11th. Group A

9:30am:South Africa vs Mexico.

2:00pm: Uruguay vs France.

Anybody have a betting pool at work or school?

One of my co-workers is from Mexico and he wore the jersey in today. I told him to watch out for South Africa, being at home. I'd love to see them sneak into the next round, but I don't see that happening. Still he agreed with me about a tight game.

My picks:

Mexico W 2-1

Uruguay W 2-0

Friday June 11th. Group A

9:30am:South Africa vs Mexico.

2:00pm: Uruguay vs France.

Anybody have a betting pool at work or school?

The opening weekend(first games) of the FIFA world cup is similar to the first weekend of the NCAA college hoops tournment back home here or even the first day of the 1st round of the MLB playoffs. So cool to watch.

I probably be able to watch the 2nd half of the France/Uruguay match.

PS. Sorry to sound dumb guys:o.?

What the time difference between South Africa and the US's East Coast(New York)? I ask this question as when i see the scheduled kick off times online, it often listed for local SA time.

The opening weekend(first games) of the FIFA world cup is similar to the first weekend of the NCAA college hoops tournment back home here or even the first day of the 1st round of the MLB playoffs. So cool to watch.

I probably be able to watch the 2nd half of the France/Uruguay match.

PS. Sorry to sound dumb guys:o.?

What the time difference between South Africa and the US's East Coast(New York)? I ask this question as when i see the scheduled kick off times online, it often listed for local SA time.

Isn't South Africa (Johannesburg) GMT?

Not trying to encourage betting here guys but for example only this is the odds that major bookmakers in both Las Vegas and London have listed when the tournment was announced in late November and the final pre tournment from Wednesday for all 32 teams.

Teams listed on top-bottom are the favorites.

Open(11/09) Final odds(6/9/10)

Spain 6/1 7/2

Brazil 5/1 4/1

Argentina 6/1 11/2

England 8/1 6/1

Netherlands 12/1 8/1

Germany 10/1 12/1

Italy 12/1 12/1

France 18/1 15/1

Portugal 30/1 18/1

Ivory Coast 40/1 33/1

Serbia 50/1 40/1