FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread

MTR Admiralty

Nope I do know it's not in same time zone with Britian or Western Europe. That why i asked to confirm. I think it's 7-8 hours ahead of US East Coast time(New York) but maybe someone else on the boards can correct us.

Johannesburg is six (6) hours ahead of New York.

This is my favorite theme in recent years of a sports theme song. Normally i really hate singers coming up to theme songs whether it's the super bowl olympics, etc. However this song Ricky Martin is so cool. By far best song imo of his career.

Ricky Martin's "Cup of Life' used as i think the offical song of the world cup in France (1998) and in 2002 (Korea/Japan). Enjoy and here it is.

Ricky Martin's "Cup of Life' used as i think the offical song of the world cup in France (1998) and in 2002 (Korea/Japan). Enjoy and here it is.

That's the best song the World Cup has had. Even better than Shakira's.

Mexico and South Africa were tied today, 1 to 1.

France and Uruguay were also tied, 0 to 0.

That leaves all these four teams with 1 point.

That's the best song the World Cup has had. Even better than Shakira's.

Mexico and South Africa were tied today, 1 to 1.

France and Uruguay were also tied, 0 to 0.

That leaves all these four teams with 1 point.

The Ricky Martin "Cup of Life' is so good i wish ESPN/ABC would use it as a theme song on their US TV coverage. Not to get too off topic but these other 2 tv sports themes are among the best ever IMO.

1)NBA on NBC theme aka "roundball rock' by John Tesh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AQ3IAriL0k

2)John Williams First used on ABC coverage of the 1984 LA Olympics and now part of NBC Olympic themes known as "Fanfare'.

2a)Bulger's Dream(current TV theme)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diXUz0DrGG0&feature=related

2b)Oringal version from John Williams

Other than i really dislike most TV sports themes.

And now not to get too off topic back to World Cup 2010.

Just saw tonight on ESPN classic the replay of South Africa/Mexico match.

Was at work this morning so i missed the 'real time' aka live coverage.

Clearly the home crowd was a huge factor throughtout the game in why SA stayed in and get the 1-1 and increased their chance to make the 2nd round. When SA scored that goal, that stadium looked like it was rocking it was so loud.

Good Match to open the 2010 Tournment.

FYI. I think I read somewhere Univision, the Spanish Language station is showing all of the World Cup games *live* so if the match is not on ESPN/ESPN2 or ABC it be on Univision. Where i live upstate Univision is on Digital Cable Ch. 16, it is still Ch.41 in Metro NYC?

Guest Charles

lolololol Robert Green must be wanting to kill himself right now, when I saw that I legit thought my TV was playing tricks on me

As much as I want South Africa to win (I'm all for the underdog story) I know they won't...

I like one of the South American countries winning the cup, whether it be Argentina, Brazil, or Uruguay, though Argentina very well could've lost today's match against Nigeria

I also hope Drogba ends up playing in light of his injury...he's too talented to not play

Scores:

MEXICO - SOUTH AFRICA TIED (GROUP A)

FRANCE - URUGUAY: 0 - 0 TIED (GROUP A)

SOUTH KOREA - GREECE: 2 - 0 (GROUP B)

ARGENTINA - NIGERIA: 1 - 0 (GROUP B)

ENGLAND - USA: 1 - 1 TIED (GROUP C)

Looks like only teams that are in Group B that saw matches that did not end in ties.

Algeria at Slovenia tomorrow.

The Britishers must have been steamed at Green's stunning performance when Dempsey shot the ball in.

From Fifa site:

A terrible mistake from England’s Robert Green gave USA a share of the spoils in Group C’s opening match played in front of a passionate crowd in Rustenburg. The goalkeeper, given the nod by Fabio Capello to start the match ahead of David James and Joe Hart, allowed Clint Dempsey’s 25-yard drive to slip through his grasp, giving last year’s FIFA Confederations Cup finalists a deserved share of the spoils.

The game had begun so well for England, who enjoyed an ideal start to their FIFA World Cup™ campaign, taking the lead with just four minutes on the clock. Frank Lampard found Emile Heskey who played a perfectly-weighted ball to Steven Gerrard and the skipper made no mistake with an intelligent finish past Man of the Match Tim Howard with the outside of his right foot.

From then on, however, USA gradually got more of the ball and a grip of the game. They fired their first real warning when Landon Donovan’s teasing cross from the right was headed wide by Jozy Altidore. Oguchi Onyewu also glanced wide a header, again from a Donovan set-piece, and the LA Galaxy man himself tested Green with a curling 25-yard effort which swerved just wide of the upright.

If USA seemed not to be enjoying any luck, they got their deserved equaliser in fortunate fashion five minutes before the break. Dempsey’s shot appeared to be straightforward enough to handle, but Green’s failed attempt to claim the ball drew them level. It was a horrible mistake by the England goalkeeper – one which he immediately acknowledged - but one which England ultimately failed to recover from.

The Three Lions upped the tempo in the second half and Emile Heskey spurned a good chance to put them ahead – firing straight at the keeper after being put clean through by Aaron Lennon. Lampard stung the palms of Howard with a long-range effort and Glen Johnson also snatched a shot when well placed. Green went some way to atone for his earlier error when he pushed Altidore’s shot onto the post after the pacy striker had powered past substitute Jamie Carragher down the left.

As the half wore on, Wayne Rooney began to find more space and consequently his influence on the game increased. First he headed over from a Gerrard cross and then a quickly-taken free-kick almost caught Howard out, but the ball flashed wide of the far post. The No10 also set up Shaun Wright-Phillips in a fantastic position, but his shot lacked conviction and Howard was able to make a comfortable save.

With the clock ticking down, both managers introduced striking substitutes in the hope of a late winner, but a winning goal failed to come. With such a fearsome rivalry between the sides, there was a feeling of anti-climax at the final whistle, but there is still plenty to play for at the FIFA World Cup.

1242178_full-lnd.jpg

Howard is now the man of the match for his saves.

Scores (UPDATED as of 12:02, EST):

SOUTH KOREA - GREECE: 2 - 0 (GROUP :(

ARGENTINA - NIGERIA: 1 - 0 (GROUP B)

ALGERIA - SLOVENIA: 0 - 1 (GROUP C)

SERBIA - GHANA: 0 - 1 (GROUP D)

TONIGHT:

GERMANY - AUSTRALIA (GROUP D)

Germany 4-0 Australia

Didn't suprise me that we got done. I'm sure we can pick up for the next game.

I did hear on the radio this morning the World Cup Orgnisers were considering banning Vuvuzela(those plastic Horns). To be honest they sound like a swarm of bees.

After the World Cup there will be an increase in the sale of hearing aids.

Besides the low scoring games and numerous ties in the first few days of the tournment, an even bigger issue taking place off the field has been the talk of the world cup so far. Vuvuzelas.:P:eek:

The sounds of Vuvuzelas which has been a long time symbol of sporting events in Africa for years, has now become annoying for some of the hundreds of millions of TV Viewers or more, worldwide watching the matches. Here story in which some broadcasters like the BBC may take to address the complaints they and other TV broadcasters have received from Viewers.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/worldcup2010/2010/06/15/2010-06-15_world_cup_broadcast_company_to_drown_out_crowds_vuvuzelas_noise_after_complaints.html

What you guys think?

Germany 4-0 Australia

Didn't suprise me that we got done. I'm sure we can pick up for the next game.

I did hear on the radio this morning the World Cup Orgnisers were considering banning Vuvuzela(those plastic Horns). To be honest they sound like a swarm of bees.

After the World Cup there will be an increase in the sale of hearing aids.

Holy sh*t.. Germany vs Australia. That was slaughter. Australia kinda did have a chance, I think they had a free-kick. Had the trajectory been at a lower angle, the ball might have hit the target. However, the angle from which it was kicked at and with that force, it went straight over the goal. Aussie fail.

Cacau's performance was remarkable, despite there was going to be a fourth goal anyway. Two minutes coming off the bench, a remarkable pass was made from near the corner. Cacau received it and aimed straight at the goal.

As for the scores:

Scores (UPDATED as of 20:25, EST):

SOUTH KOREA - GREECE: 2 - 0 (GROUP :P

ARGENTINA - NIGERIA: 1 - 0 (GROUP ;)

GERMANY - AUSTRALIA: 4 - 0 (GROUP D)

NETHERLANDS - DENMARK: 2 - 0 (GROUP E)

JAPAN - CAMEROON: 1 - 0 (GROUP E)

ITALY - PARAGUAY: 1 - 1 TIED (GROUP F)

NEW ZEALAND - SLOVAKA: 1 - 1 TIED (GROUP F)

COTE D'IVOIRE - PORTUGAL: 0 - 0 TIED (GROUP G)

BRAZIL - NORTH KOREA: 2 - 1 (GROUP G)

TOMORROW'S MATCHES:

HONDURAS - CHILE

SPAIN - SWITZERLAND

SOUTH AFRICA - URUGUAY

In reply to the 'noise' caused by the Vuvuzelas I say there is an easy solution. I always thought in this era of 200-plus channels, that why has a major global championship like the world cup or Olympics or even closer to home,

Tv Broadcast rights to the World Series, Stanley Cup, NBA Finals or the Super Bowl there should be a second pay per view broadcast w/ no announcers for low fee ie $5-$10 that is uncensored and no commericals?

And still use the broadcaster oringal feed/station logo which here in US is ABC/ESPN and for telecasts in Spanish is Univision.

That why audiences who does like the sounds unedited can also watch it and also not be stuck w/ announcers they don't like for whatever reason as well.:confused: Also the broadcaster of the game/tournment make extra money on the side as well.

There is one thing i have to say first;

America did not, will not, could not, play "Britain" Britain does not have a team in the world cup. America played England. I am originally from Wales, one of the historic nations that comprise the political entity known as Britain. Wales was not in the world cup. I support and root for America and I was pleased as punch that we got a draw over the english. In Scotland, a group has made a popular song, you can find it on You Tube, called "Anyone but England" I am from Britain but I am not English, I was born and raised there and all my ancestors as far back as I know all came from that island but I couldn't even speak english until I was around 11 years old.

The draw America had was superb, this time being close doesget a cigar. Doesn't matter that the American goal was a fluke. The fact is that England could not retake the lead. In keeping that goal against England was the glory. Tim Howard has become my hero. Now for Slovania on Friday, there seems no reason why America should not get into the second round.

There is one thing i have to say first;

America did not, will not, could not, play "Britain" Britain does not have a team in the world cup. America played England. I am originally from Wales, one of the historic nations that comprise the political entity known as Britain. Wales was not in the world cup. I support and root for America and I was pleased as punch that we got a draw over the english. In Scotland, a group has made a popular song, you can find it on You Tube, called "Anyone but England" I am from Britain but I am not English, I was born and raised there and all my ancestors as far back as I know all came from that island but I couldn't even speak english until I was around 11 years old.

The draw America had was superb, this time being close doesget a cigar. Doesn't matter that the American goal was a fluke. The fact is that England could not retake the lead. In keeping that goal against England was the glory. Tim Howard has become my hero. Now for Slovania on Friday, there seems no reason why America should not get into the second round.

You are right, the United Kingdom or "Great Britain" does not have a team of its own. There may be players from Wales, Northern Ireland or Scotland that could be playing on the English team, but the most important thing is, they are representing England rather than all of UK. It's a weird thing. Some people in the British Isles prefer much to be called by their local denonyms such as Welsh, Scottish and English rather than the more general British or Britisher. But yes, the term British can be applied to anyone in the Isles and (formerly) to anyone living on British territory, such as a British colony (although local denonyms are generally preferred to distinguish the colonising people and the colonised).

In the first major upset of the tournment, Spain one of the top teams in the world and picked by many prior to the world cup, to win it all just lost 1-0 to the Swiss.

That seriously was a shock to me. Everyone expected Spain to win.

Scoreboard:

Scores (UPDATED as of 16/6/2010 16:55, EST):

SOUTH KOREA - GREECE: 2 - 0 (GROUP :P

ARGENTINA - NIGERIA: 1 - 0 (GROUP :)

GERMANY - AUSTRALIA: 4 - 0 (GROUP D)

NETHERLANDS - DENMARK: 2 - 0 (GROUP E)

JAPAN - CAMEROON: 1 - 0 (GROUP E)

ITALY - PARAGUAY: 1 - 1 TIED (GROUP F)

NEW ZEALAND - SLOVAKA: 1 - 1 TIED (GROUP F)

COTE D'IVOIRE - PORTUGAL: 0 - 0 TIED (GROUP G)

BRAZIL - NORTH KOREA: 2 - 1 (GROUP G)

HONDURAS - CHILE: 0 - 1 (GROUP H)

SPAIN - SWITZERLAND: 0 -1 (GROUP H)

SOUTH AFRICA - URUGUAY: 0 - 3 (GROUP A)

Host country, South Africa, took a beating by Uruguay. Forlan scored 2 goals at minute 24 and 80, with the latter being a penalty kick. Finally, in the last awarded overtime minute, Pereira scored another one. This match can jeopardise any chance of South Africa making out of the first round.

Archived