FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread

MTR Admiralty

Guest Charles
Ghana has become the 'cindellera' team of this tournment and has become adopted as a 2nd home club by host nation South Africa for the rest of their matches they still in.

Even more interesting, it was by the same score of 2-1 that the same country of Ghana defeated the US 4 years ago...

You would've been surprised at how many people actually did care.

Agreed. US Soccer and the MLS will probably get a significant boost in popularity after this World Cup. But be honest, soccer has never, and will never gain the popularity in the US as it does worldwide. The American perception of "football" is strikingly different to the world's perception of "football" -- we even have to call it by a whole different name of soccer! Honestly, who can name soccer players on the US team aside from Donovan (oh he's the superstar), Bradley (oh he's the coach's son), Howard (oh he's that goalie who was actually able to hold onto the soccer ball), and possibly Dempsey (oh that lucky guy).

But be honest, soccer has never, and will never gain the popularity in the US as it does worldwide.

Heh, that's true -- the day after the US was eliminated, the front page coverage for the World Cup in the NY Post had this line:

"This sport is stupid anyway"

Enough said.

Scoreboard

As of 12:15 EST 2nd July 2010

URUGUAY - SOUTH KOREA: 2 - 1, URUGUAY ADVANCES

USA - GHANA: 1 - 2 (a.e.t), GHANA ADVANCES

GERMANY - ENGLAND: 4 - 1, GERMANY ADVANCES

ARGENTINA - MEXICO: 3 -1, ARGENTINA ADVANCES

NETHERLANDS - SLOVAKIA: 2 - 1, NETHERLANDS ADVANCES

BRAZIL - CHILE: 3 - 0, BRAZIL ADVANCES

PARAGUAY - JAPAN: 0 - 0, 5 - 3 a.e.t, PSO, PARAGUAY ADVANCES

SPAIN - PORTUGAL: 1 - 0, SPAIN ADVANCES

NETHERLANDS - BRAZIL: 2 - 1, NETHERLANDS ADVANCES

Teams eliminated in the elimination rounds:

SOUTH KOREA, USA, ENGLAND, MEXICO, SLOVAKIA, CHILE, JAPAN, PORTUGAL

BRAZIL

Spain is winning, 1 to 0. Paraguay had a big chance earlier with a penalty shot, but the Spanish Goalie blocked it. Spain also had a penalty shot and seemed to have scored, but they were out of position, so they tried it again, but it failed.

In what was suppose to be the 'best and most evenly' matched event of this world cup the Germans in a rout win 4-0 over ARGENTINA and advance to the semifinals.

Yeah I was feeling down after that game,after that 2nd goal you could tell it was over. You have to give credit to Germany, their defense is the best. I would pick them as the favorite to win the world cup.

Guest Charles
A shocker. Brazil is gone in the biggest upset so far by the Dutch 2-1 in the quaterfinal.:eek:

There's a reason why people call the Dutch team the best to have never won the World Cup...

Yeah I was feeling down after that game,after that 2nd goal you could tell it was over. You have to give credit to Germany, their defense is the best. I would pick them as the favorite to win the world cup.

Spain-Germany should be a great game. If Germany were to be defeated, it would probably come at the hands of Spain.

On a side note, I'm surprised the controversial handball committed by Uruguay has not be as publicly recognized.

There's a reason why people call the Dutch team the best to have never won the World Cup...

Spain-Germany should be a great game. If Germany were to be defeated, it would probably come at the hands of Spain.

On a side note, I'm surprised the controversial handball committed by Uruguay has not be as publicly recognized.

Spain-Germany winner is more than likely IMO to win it all. Most of the gamblers in Vegas and London is split but Spain is a very slight favorite. Remember guys, prior to the tournment, Spain was ranked by FIFA and most soccer experts as either #1 or #2 best team in the world.

Charles due to alot of controversial calls in the world cup, the FIFA boss I read says by the next tournment in 2014, instant replay might be used by refs but only for disputed goal calls.

Guest Charles

Charles due to alot of controversial calls in the world cup, the FIFA boss I read says by the next tournment in 2014, instant replay might be used by refs but only for disputed goal calls.

Yes I know that...

"might" is not good enough. "Will" is the word.

It's set. Spain will play the Dutch in the 2010 FIFA World cup Championship game on Sunday. Spain the defending Europe Soccer Champions plays a team that is truly an underdog and the Dutch.

Sunday's game on 7/11/10 is expected to draw an projected 2-3 Billion People, worldwide to watch this event which will be a world TV record for a sporting event.

If you like myself and about 1-2 Billion people right now across the world as of 445pm today 7/11/10 you watching the Spain/Holland final.

Game is now in overtime and it looks like we going to 'shootout' aka Penalty Kicks. Spain has had just missed making a couple of goals and without the great play of the Dutch Goalie, Spain wins this match a long time ago.

In a last minutes of overtime in a controversial goal Spain's Inestnia scores the lone goal and gives Spain 1-0 and 2010 FIFA world cup as well.

To soccer purists sorry but this recent World Cup IMO shows it time to put instant replays in matches around the world whether it's the Preimer League or this tournment for disputed goals only.

Guest Charles
In a last minutes of overtime in a controversial goal Spain's Inestnia scores the lone goal and gives Spain 1-0 and 2010 FIFA world cup as well.

Iniesta's goal itself wasn't controversial...at first it looked like he was offside but he clearly wasn't. The game itself had way too many yellow cards being issued - not very typical football from either Spain or the Netherlands.

Anyone else follow Paul the Octopus during the World Cup? I thought his accurate predictions were extraordinary...he went perfect in the world cup!

Iniesta's goal itself wasn't controversial...at first it looked like he was offside but he clearly wasn't. The game itself had way too many yellow cards being issued - not very typical football from either Spain or the Netherlands.

Anyone else follow Paul the Octopus during the World Cup? I thought his accurate predictions were extraordinary...he went perfect in the world cup!

Hey i hope he picks NFL games as well during the upcoming season as he would make tens of thousands of people very happy if he is even 90% close to his world cup picks.;)

the 2% spaniard in me is immensely pleased, lol.

My brother was born in Spain and he could care less,lol. I told him that I am going to buy him a spanish flag so he could put it on his car.

VIVA EN ESPANIA,QUE NADIE SE BANIA.

translation: nobody bathes in Spain,lol.

Charles here link to this Iniesta's now historic goal. After looking several times at this replay to see if he was 'offsides', I agree w/ you, that this goal has to stand. It's like in NBA basketball where 90% of time on shots, a player looks to be 'traveling' but unless it clearly made you let it go. It's from Canada's CBC link of the game.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/fifaworldcup/watch/highlights/?ID=1542068202#content

Archived