Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
WMATAtoNYCTA

Coming up to NYC tomorrow, which lines are the best to railfan?

I'm going to be in NYC from 6/2 to 6/4 and I'll be staying near Halsey Street on the (L) line.

So which lines are the best to railfan?

I thought of the (F)(1)(7)(J) and the (5)

I wanted to do the (3) and (A) but I've heard the Brooklyn section of those lines are rough as hell. I'm from the hood myself but I might stand out more because of my accent or what I wear. I'm still thinking about it. So other than the ones I've mentioned, are there any others I should look at?

The (:P(Q) Brooklyn section is undergoing reconstruction now. It's also scenic. If I were you I'd go there.

Thanks, I'll sure to check those out. Also what cars run those lines? Any hope of a R32?

Thanks, I'll sure to check those out. Also what cars run those lines? Any hope of a R32?

(:P-99% R68, one R32 is somewhere there occasionally, usually early in the morning. Ask Metatops for a specific time.

(Q)-~50% R68, ~50% R160.

Here are 2 ideas:

(A) to the Rockaways

(:P(Q) Brighton Line/Coney Island Terminal

(1) Manhattan Valley Viaduct

(B)-99% R68, one R32 is somewhere there occasionally, usually early in the morning. Ask Metatops for a specific time.

(Q)-~50% R68, ~50% R160.

Will do. ;)

Here are 2 ideas:

(A) to the Rockaways

(B)(Q) Brighton Line/Coney Island Terminal

(1) Manhattan Valley Viaduct

Sounds good to me. :tup:

(A) in Queens (Using R44's and R46's, and possibly an R32)

(;) in Brooklyn (Crosses the Bridge between Manhattan and Brooklyn) (Using R68's and R68A's, one possible R32)

(D) in Brooklyn (Crosses the Bridge between Manhattan and Brooklyn) (Using R68's)

(F) in Brooklyn (Using R46's and R160's)

(J)(Z) in Brooklyn and Queens (Using R42's and R160's)

(L) in Brooklyn (Using R143's and R160's)

(M2) in Queens and Brooklyn (Using R160's)

(N) in Queens and Brooklyn (Crosses the Bridge between Manhattan and Brooklyn) (Using R160's and possibly an R68/R68A)

(Q) in Brooklyn (Crosses the Bridge between Manhattan and Brooklyn) (Using R68A's, R68's and R160's, one possible R32)

(S) Franklin Av Shuttle (Brooklyn) (Using R68's)

(S) Rockaway Park Shuttle (Queens) (Using R44's and R46's)

(W) in Queens (Using R160's and possibly an R68/R68A)

(1) in Manhattan and The Bronx (Using R62A's)

(2) in The Bronx (Using R142's)

(3) in Brooklyn (Using R62's)

(4) in The Bronx (Using R142's and R142A's)

(5) in The Bronx (Using R142's)

(6)<6> in The Bronx (Using R142A's)

(7)<7> in Queens (Using R62A's)

(SIR) Staten Island Railway (in Staten Island) (Using R44's)

Edited by Luis1985

(5) to Dyre Avenue.

(A) to Rockaways.

(;)(D)(N)(Q) across Manhattan Bridge.

(Q) to Coney Island.

(N)(W) to Queens.

(J)(M2)(M)(Z) across Williamsburg Bridge and Queens.

A tiny girl like me haven't had problems on trains in the "bad' neighborhoods.. Then again once on the (A), this guy stuck his tounge out at me in a weird way.. I think the (A) is a little iffy..

I think all the other trains are fine though. For me, taking pictures of trains do get a weird look here and there..

(A) in Queens (Using R44's and R46's, and possibly an R32)

(B) in Brooklyn (Crosses the Bridge between Manhattan and Brooklyn) (Using R68's and R68A's, one possible R32)

(D) in Brooklyn (Crosses the Bridge between Manhattan and Brooklyn) (Using R68's)

(F) in Brooklyn (Using R46's and R160's)

(J)(Z) in Brooklyn and Queens (Using R42's and R160's)

(L) in Brooklyn (Using R143's and R160's)

(M2) in Queens and Brooklyn (Using R160's)

(N) in Queens and Brooklyn (Crosses the Bridge between Manhattan and Brooklyn) (Using R160's and possibly an R68/R68A)

(Q) in Brooklyn (Crosses the Bridge between Manhattan and Brooklyn) (Using R68A's, R68's and R160's, one possible R32)

(S) Franklin Av Shuttle (Brooklyn) (Using R68's)

(S) Rockaway Park Shuttle (Queens) (Using R44's and R46's)

(W) in Queens (Using R160's and possibly an R68/R68A)

(1) in Manhattan and The Bronx (Using R62A's)

(2) in The Bronx (Using R142's)

(3) in Brooklyn (Using R62's)

(4) in The Bronx (Using R142's and R142A's)

(5) in The Bronx (Using R142's)

(6)<6> in The Bronx (Using R142A's)

(7)<7> in Queens (Using R62A's)

(SIR) Staten Island Railway (in Staten Island) (Using R44's)

Sounds like a bet ;)

(5) to Dyre Avenue.

(A) to Rockaways.

(B)(D)(N)(Q) across Manhattan Bridge.

(Q) to Coney Island.

(N)(W) to Queens.

(J)(M2)(M)(Z) across Williamsburg Bridge and Queens.

Will do :tup:

A tiny girl like me haven't had problems on trains in the "bad' neighborhoods.. Then again once on the (A), this guy stuck his tounge out at me in a weird way.. I think the (A) is a little iffy..

I think all the other trains are fine though. For me, taking pictures of trains do get a weird look here and there..

I mean, I'm not scared or anything, I just like to be able to ride the train and go about my life without having to resort to beating someone because they somehow went out of their way to disrespect me.

But thanks for the insight. :cool:

Brighton and the (7) are my personal pics. The Culver viaduct is pretty great. Try the (A) as the R44s are really dwindling. I don't recommend the SIR at all though.

Definitely check out the Willy B.(J)(M2)(Z)

and the Manny B. on the 6th ave (;)(D) side and the Broadway/4th ave (N)(Q) side

You should check out the R42s before the retire. they run on the (J)/(Z). Your best bet is to catch them during the PM rush. I usually catch the first one out of the yard around 4:00 at Myrtle Ave.

Check out the 60th Street Tunnel on the (N)/® because that is the fastest you will see NYC subway trains go. Some hit 60 mph in those tubes.

If you want Railfan Windows You can get them on R32s on the (C) and a few sets on the (A). The r42s on the (J)(Z) also have them. Also, I highly recommend you check out the RFW on the Flushing-Main St Bound (7)<7>

I like going to check out the (A) to the Rockways.

The (:P(Q) near Brighton Beach is really nice. If you go to Brighton Beach, you have to go to Coney Island for the (N)(Q)(D)(F). Another place I like to go to is the (7) when you get to the elevations like 103rd st, 111st, etc.

I suggest going for the (A) to the Rockaways. You'll be fine during the midday (that's pretty much the best time to railfan for any line IMO). I also suggest the (1) to the Bronx. It's nice and fast through the upper Manhattan tunnels and the EL section is very good, along with some views of 207th St. Unless you want to come during the end of the AM Rush when trains are going into Livonia Yard for some variety, stay away from Livonia on the (3), as all you'll get are R62 (3) trains as opposed to a sea of NTTs and R62s. And that is the best time to come out here to railfan too (I came New Lots-bound at 10:30 AM and there were at max 25 people on the entire train after Utica). A lot of people like the (7) because of the RFW, take the line if you wish, but I'd pass it up to go over to the (J) if I were you.

The (Q) over the Manhattan Bridge is good to railfan. You get a great view of lower Manhattan and New York Harbor. You can even see the Statue of Liberty. Then you get the Brighton Line further south. The (7) is another good choice.