Kings Dominion 5/22&28 [major 56k warning]

A cliffs notes of my days: I got a front row ride on both Dominator and Volcano. Both rides were awesome from the front.

Intimidator 305 was a nice ride, but since they 'trimmed' the ride, the drop is not the 94mph as they advertised. I think it was more like 80mph, which for a drop that tall, was a huge disappointment. The quick transitions was also a killer on the 2nd half of the ride. So until they get different seat restraints, this ride barely makes my top 15 list.

The wood coasters were ok, but I prefer the steel coasters more. Even for I-305 I kept my arms up for most of the ride. For the wooden ones, I still needed to keep my arms in the train.

Drop Tower was crazy - I have a fear of heights, but I decided to ride it anyway and it was a rush when it drops to the ground.

Slammin pics! "Railfanning" roller coasters > railfanning trains!

I agree! Rollercoaster-fanning FTW!!!

Nice coverage GC and thanks for sharing these! :tup:

Slammin pics! "Railfanning" roller coasters > railfanning trains!

Heh, always. Thanks!

I agree! Rollercoaster-fanning FTW!!!

Nice coverage GC and thanks for sharing these! :tup:

Thanks! Np.
Awesome picx GC! Kings Dominion is definitely a place I'd like to check out some day!

Speaking of Memorial Day, as you know I was at Great Adventure; pix are coming soon!

Thanks! Yup. I just hope they get the wheel problems fixed so they can take off the 'training wheels'. The ride needs new otsrs and wheels so it can run the way it should.

Sweet, looking forward to them.

We're those from Memorial Day Weekend because I was in Virginia too. I drove by King's Dominion and we were thinking of checking it out. Thanks for sharing.

The 22nd was Saturday and the 28th was a Friday. So, nope - I left the following Saturday morning.

Yeah you should, great park. Only problem is I heard they added more 'trims' [or stuff to slow the drop speed] on I-305, so it isn't the intense 94mph as advertised :)

Np, glad you liked. :tup: ps: sorry for the 70pic overkill :)

Thanks! Yup. I just hope they get the wheel problems fixed so they can take off the 'training wheels'. The ride needs new otsrs and wheels so it can run the way it should.

Sweet, looking forward to them.

Darn; I305's beating those wheels to death, huh? Let me ask - is the ride enjoyable even with the trims? I keep reading about cats blacking or graying out on the turns...

BTW, GADV pix are up.

The first half of the ride was good. Even though I did grey out a few times, I still loved it. I love the intensity. but due to the otsrs, when the train makes the quick left-right turns [as opposed to a full corkscrew spin], that's where those things hurt. They 'cut you' at the neck and it hurts like hell. You gotta brace yourself like keeping your arms up the whole time or like really hold back on the bars on your lap.

So like everyone's been saying: 1st part = great, 2nd part = soso/terrible. So they really need to change the otsrs asap. Which thankfully I read should be in the next few weeks.

Awesome, gonna see them now.

Ahh I can't wait till Summer. I want to ride my first upside down roller coaster (I've always been too scared). I'd like to ride something like the Intimidator but I'd pass out going all the way up there at a slow pace.

The fastest rollercoaster I've ridden was probably a wooden roller coaster at 60 mph lol. I remember a small piece of wood flew in my eye on the Comet at Hersheypark.

Great pics btw.

We should have a rollercoaster thread.

Inverted or anything that has a loop? You should try it, I was afraid of coasters just maybe 8 years ago, but now I seek the biggest thrills around. But my advice is to take it slowly by working from the smaller ones to work up to the big ones. I can handle the 'giants' now cuz I can take it and to take advantage before the lines gets too long.

Actually Intimidator uses a cable lift system so it 'flies' up. :) Nothing slow about it - well except the drop now with the trims they've added, sadly...

To date Kinda Ka is still my fastest ride at 128~ mph.

Thanks.

Nah, I don't think there's that many coaster fans out there. The few threads like these photo ones are fine.

Inverted or anything that has a loop? You should try it, I was afraid of coasters just maybe 8 years ago, but now I seek the biggest thrills around. But my advice is to take it slowly by working from the smaller ones to work up to the big ones. I can handle the 'giants' now cuz I can take it and to take advantage before the lines gets too long.

Actually Intimidator uses a cable lift system so it 'flies' up. :P Nothing slow about it - well except the drop now with the trims they've added, sadly...

To date Kinda Ka is still my fastest ride at 128~ mph.

Thanks.

Nah, I don't think there's that many coaster fans out there. The few threads like these photo ones are fine.

Any rollercoaster that goes upside down period lol.

I have a problem riding an upside down rollercoaster with no "over-the-shoulder" seat belts (I was flopping out of a swinging pirate ship ride so I'm a bit paranoid) and the ones that do have them are too extreme for a first timer, like what if I hate going upside down the first time then I have to do it like 7 more times lol.

I was gonna do StormRunner @ Hershey but that launch looked like it was too much at once, my brother & cousin are like dare devils and they admitted it was a little scary.

Lol I wish there was a short Kingda Ka that went at like 80-90mph, I want to ride El Toro too.

Well even for me, Kinda Ka did intimidate me [i rode it first thing in the morning a few years ago because I wouldn't be able to ride it after that]. But since I'm already experienced with more extreme coasters, I would advise you ride the other coasters and maybe the next visit you can ride Kinda Ka. Take it slowly and work your way up. If you are going to Six Flags ride El Toro first cuz that will be packed later in the day. I think you can get away with doing Nitro last as the trains loads up pretty fast.

Nitro despite it being just a lap bar is very secure, but while doesn't go upside down, you'll get intense ejection feelings.

Even though I miss King's Dominion, I HATE ROLLER COASTERS!!! I get easily paranoid by them!!!

It's kinda weird and silly since I never even rode one in my life!

My sister watched Final Destination 3 and described it to me and now I wanna avoid Kingda Ka like I avoid pork.

Trust me when I say that I too was freaked out by them. But you eventually get over that fear after your first ride. Just start small like Anaconda, Back lot stunt coaster, and Ricochet. If they still freak you out, then I guess that's that. To me those are the more mild ones there.

Lol, if there's any coaster at KD that resembles the FD3 coaster it would be anaconda, but everything is safe. But I would probably be a bit concerned about launching coasters that uses the cable-catch car. A coaster in CA had a cable snap and debris flew everywhere. Aside from that, I think all the coasters at KD were very safe. The launching ones uses magnets.

The only ones that I thought were bad were the wooden coasters because the trains they use are old and can't maneuver the tight turns. That's why I'm hoping they buy new trains for those coasters there.

Well even for me, Kinda Ka did intimidate me [i rode it first thing in the morning a few years ago because I wouldn't be able to ride it after that]. But since I'm already experienced with more extreme coasters, I would advise you ride the other coasters and maybe the next visit you can ride Kinda Ka. Take it slowly and work your way up. If you are going to Six Flags ride El Toro first cuz that will be packed later in the day. I think you can get away with doing Nitro last as the trains loads up pretty fast.

Nitro despite it being just a lap bar is very secure, but while doesn't go upside down, you'll get intense ejection feelings.

I just don't like the feeling of being thrown off of something lol. Sometimes it feels like I'm riding a wild horse, I have to hold on for dear life, half the time I'm too busy trying to hold on to something to know what's going on. I remember on the Tower of Terror I nearly unbuckled my seatbelt trying to find something to hold on to, it was just too unexpected (it was fun though). I've been on a lot of relatively fast rollercoasters (60 mph range) as well as upside down rides but never an upside down rollercoaster. I think my main problem is the idea that I'm gonna fly out because I can take the speed, just nervous on the upside down part.

Nitro intimidates me because it's so tall (I'd have to sit in the middle because I'll get dizzy) and has lap bars. Maybe something like Batman, Great Bear, Talon, etc. The main thing I don't like about Kingda Ka is when it's going straight down and you see parked cars and stuff like that. I'd probably have my eyes closed from the launch all the way to that drop is finished. However I'd ride Kingda Ka before I ever get on another Wild Mouse lol.

I love the Mummy at Universal Studios. I just have the urge to ride a rollercoaster lol.

The going down part on Kinda Ka is the best, you are 'floating'. The launch is what gets me. One day I do hope for a roll back, I'd just like to feel weightless when the train is rolling backwards.

Lol, good man. Wild mouse rides are a waste of time, focus on the more important ones.

Nitro, once you get past the height, you'll get used to it. On my 2nd ride I didn't need to keep my arms down for most of the ride. Plus you can keep your feet 'wrapped' around the 'pole'.

Archived