Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

My R17 using sketchup

The carbody height is wrong. The pantograph gates on the end are inboard not outboard. The cab window is too tall. The window on the storm door is supposed to be bisected equally. The Fresnel lenses on the seal beams are opaque, not amber. The roof of the car is too broad, it almost looks like an R30 or something...narrow the car a bit. The doors on the #1 end should not be so close to the cab window; the doors on the #2 end should not be so close to the end of the car. The horn is supposed to be under the express indicator on the front bonnet. Last but not least: the side windows should be further away from the door.

I'm sure NYCSubway or something has the datasheet on the car showing the engineering drawing of the carbody.

Like Joe said, it needs a little work. But nice attempt.

ive tried to make wheels.i figured out that i cant.its extremely hard to do. they always look like a doughnut :P.

Mmmmmmmmm, doughnuts B)

homer-simpson-3.jpg

The carbody height is wrong. The pantograph gates on the end are inboard not outboard. The cab window is too tall. The window on the storm door is supposed to be bisected equally. The Fresnel lenses on the seal beams are opaque, not amber. The roof of the car is too broad, it almost looks like an R30 or something...narrow the car a bit. The doors on the #1 end should not be so close to the cab window; the doors on the #2 end should not be so close to the end of the car. The horn is supposed to be under the express indicator on the front bonnet. Last but not least: the side windows should be further away from the door.

I'm sure NYCSubway or something has the datasheet on the car showing the engineering drawing of the carbody.

I should add to Joe's post.

Side windows are also too low and too large. Door windows are a bit small. Side rollsign windows should be smaller and should be rounded rectangles. The blue stripe is too low. The sill of the car should be black all the way around. The anticlimber should extend a foot or so directly in front of the car and taper off as it recesses into the side sills of the car. The storm door should not have a raised threshold, its base should basically be level with the anticlimber. Car is missing guard lights. Pantograph gates are too short and the blue stripe should not be painted over them. Car is missing a grab hold next to the storm door. Also what are the two vertical lines between the cab door on the #1 end and the first side door? Those shouldn't be there.

It's a good start but it needs work to be finished.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but nearly all IRT SMEEs have these basics in common: Car length: 51' 0" (or 51' 6", not sure which), loading gauge (width of body): about 8' 9", car height: 7 to 8 feet from base of roof arc to floor (add 30-36 inches for trucks). Windows should be spaced one door panel plus about 6" of clearance away from the doors, and leave 3-6 feet on each end between the doors and the car end. Good luck!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but nearly all IRT SMEEs have these basics in common: Car length: 51' 0" (or 51' 6", not sure which), loading gauge (width of body): about 8' 9", car height: 7 to 8 feet from base of roof arc to floor (add 30-36 inches for trucks). Windows should be spaced one door panel plus about 6" of clearance away from the doors, and leave 3-6 feet on each end between the doors and the car end. Good luck!

Just use this for dimensions: http://images.nycsubway.org/cars/sheet054-r17.jpg

sheet054-r17.jpg

Archived