$239,000 Conductor Among M.T.A.’s 8,000 Six-Figure Workers

Harry

In an era of generous municipal salaries and union-friendly overtime rules, it may not come as a complete shock that there are thousands of Metropolitan Transportation Authority employees — 8,074, to be precise — who made $100,000 or more last year.

The usual top-level managers are included in that list, but so are dozens of lower-level employees, including conductors, police officers and engineers, many of whom pulled in six figures in overtime and retirement benefits alone.

One of those workers, a Long Island Rail Road conductor who retired in April, made $239,148, about $4,000 more than the authority’s chief financial officer, according to payroll data released on Wednesday.

In fact, more than a quarter of the Long Island Rail Road’s 7,000 employees earned more than $100,000 last year, including the conductor, Thomas J. Redmond, and two locomotive engineers — who were among the top 25 earners in the entire transportation authority.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/03/nyregion/03mta.html

Why criticize one or two guys that make the most overtime. Yeah, it's great that Waldo wants to stop overtime but with out engineers and conductors the trains don't move.

Big deal, a few grab as much as they can right before they retire, no doubt to boost their retirement. If they don't work it someone else has to.

Money like that should go first to police officers, and Firefighters. I don't recall "running into harms way everyday" being on a conductor's job description.

If we're going to tie pay in with job hazards then I know a lot of Wall Street CEO's and politicians who don't deserve the money they get. This is just another way for people to trash on (MTA) employees who have the terrible affliction of working with a company that has a liberal overtime policy.

God forbid anyone makes a decent living these days. It's their hard earned money, it is completely improper to vilify them for it.

Agreed.. It all comes down to the white collar profession being in a huge funk in this recession. Back when the fat cats on Wall Street and the Corporate world was making money on top of money, they could careless about a man or woman extra long hours and being away from their family a lot so they can provide.This was never an issue in the past ,but since the good times for those folks are gone, how dare a blue collar worker try and make something extra for his family.Newspapers and all the higher ups are all connected..

Agreed.. It all comes down to the white collar profession being in a huge funk in this recession. Back when the fat cats on Wall Street and the Corporate world was making money on top of money, they could careless about a man or woman extra long hours and being away from their family a lot so they can provide.This was never an issue in the past ,but since the good times for those folks are gone, how dare a blue collar worker try and make something extra for his family.Newspapers and all the higher ups are all connected..

Truer words have ne'er been spoken. Now that these white collar fat cats have f**ked themselves royally, they feel it's time to go after the REAL WORKERS in this country.

KILL. ALL. FAT. CATS.

Truer words have ne'er been spoken. Now that these white collar fat cats have f**ked themselves royally, they feel it's time to go after the REAL WORKERS in this country.

KILL. ALL. FAT. CATS.

NOW you're FINALLY coming around Joe... B)

i say if they offer it then get that money. as for the comment on conductors running into harms way i say why dont you work a rush hour with me on the pm tour, but since i flag why dont you come flag with me on D4 at 59th street? then you will see harms way.

Funny thing about these articles.. Newday on LI highlighted the LIRR OT, Daily News & Post focused on NYCT.. I wonder if any upstate papers discussed the MNRR OT.. I really wish reporters would get back to 'reporting' and not just taking MTA press releases.. I think if you compared AVG salaries for the different 'classes' of MTA workers, you'd find the white collars do the best finacially.. Where's that story? OH, Walder didn't release THOSE numbers, so I guess they dont exist, and we'll just assume MTA managerial/supervisors must be working for free or charity..

What's the point of this article outside of harping on people who earned their pay and retirement?

Did the conductor really "earn" his salary? Did he rush into a burning building to save someone? Did he help a failing student excel in school? Did he remove a tumor from a cancer patient? No, all he did was open and close doors. Is it really fair for the conductor to make MORE than most lawyers and doctors? And I am not anti-civil servant, as my father is a retired NYCTA conductor. I've went to work plenty of times with my father back when I was in grade school, and nothing he did warrants a 6 digit salary. Don't mean to be harsh, but that is my opinion.

nothing he did warrants a 6 digit salary.

Wow, doubting that your own father earned his pay. That's pretty low. Why don't you go piss on him? While you're at it, you can go tell your mother to go f**k herself.

You're an embarrassment to your parents. They should be ashamed that you are their son.

Archived