$239,000 Conductor Among M.T.A.’s 8,000 Six-Figure Workers

Harry

Which is what? And why should they all be the same when the duties of the job vary between those agencies? Contrary to popular belief, their jobs CANNOT be automated. There is no way currently to assure the safety and efficient flow of passengers on and off of LIRR trains and collect the fares w/o conductors. There is no way for them to operate w/o engineers. The same is true for NYCT as well as most other transit agencies including those which have full ATO which usually have at least one crew member on board. You would spend more on the computes, fare control, and everything else needed to replace them.

Of course you can automate a conductor. I never said to automate the train operator. Take the subway in some other cities and there is no conductor. And you don't need anyone to collect a fare if you install turnstyles.

Never mind system maintenance costs which would include salaries of trained computer engineers and programmers, as well as replacement parts etc. and supervisors.

On the R160s, the computers are already there so automation would not require additional equipment or personnel. For the older trains without the technology, I would not automate them since it makes poor economical sense to install expensive tecnology on a train that will soon be dumped on the bottom of the ocean.

You cannot automate the conductor. The doors will either never close because an "obstruction" is in the way, or they will close despite the "obstruction" which could be a stroller, an elderly or disabled person, or a baby, and the TA will have a lawsuit on their hands when said "obstruction" gets injured by the automatically closing doors.

Also does the train "automatically" help the train operator evacuate his train when it gets stalled in the tunnel during a blackout, fire, terrorist attack, or some other mechanical failure?

Edit: And even if you are completely right about being able to automate the conductor (note: you're not) computers are NOT foolproof and need to be maintained CONSTANTLY because electronics are VERY unreliable. That means you will be paying tons of maintainers around the system to respond to problems. Just because a train is "equipped" with a capability doesn't mean that it won't glitch and have its share of software and electronic problems that need to be fixed frequently. And in a safety sensitive position such as conductor, glitches are completely unacceptable, so we are back to why conductor cannot be automated.

Also, LIRR workers have it the easiest since they deal with higher calliber passengers. They don't have to throw hobos off the train at 2 AM or deal with gangs.

Ride the Port Washington Branch at 2 am on a Friday or Saturday night and you'll wish that you were on the subway. That line just loses control.

Also, LIRR workers have it the easiest since they deal with higher calliber passengers. They don't have to throw hobos off the train at 2 AM or deal with gangs.

Hahahaha.. I would like to introduce you to some conductors from LIRR and let them tell you some stories..

I don't know of a specific salary that condctors should make but LIRR, MNR, and NYCTA conductors should all make the same.

That is just as ignorant as saying all LAWYERS should make the same salary....

Surely you don't believe that should be the case... right...

I mean, you want to make MORE than the next LAWYER.. right

....maybe I'm giving you too much credit... all that above is assuming you even get to the point where you get to take the bar exam, let alone passing it.

Clearly off base with this statement....

#1 - an NYCT conductor's job isn't anymore difficult than a MNRR/LIRR conductor because they have to deal with "gangs" or "hobos".... GTFOH with that.... a NYCT conductor doesn't deal with the riding public already inside the train, to the tune that LIRR/MNRR c/r's do... if anything, NYCT c/r's have more dealings with waiting passengers on the platforms... they aren't the ones walking b/w cars to collect tickets/fares & what have you....

point being, the likelihood of any interpersonal conflict is much less

This thinking of city life is sooooo much more dangerous than suburban life.... smh...

and I don't care if you didn't blatantly say it - you're implying it.

#2 - "higher caliber passengers"... please...

just b/c commuter rail riders pay more to travel from point A to point B on a daily basis does NOT make them any more civil than subway riders... you clearly don't know what you're speaking on if you think LIRR c/r's jobs are the "easiest" because of that foolish, ignorant, prejudiced, and downright wrong reasoning you post.....

as was said, take a train on the PW branch on a weekend during the late hrs...

I'll add more:

- take a train on the PJ branch to or from Stony Brook 1) when classes end on a weekday, or 2) on a weekend during the late hrs...

- take a train on the main line or the Babylon branch after a met, yankee, or rangers game...

- take a train on up to White plains on a saturday, period....

- take a Poughkeepsie bound train on a saturday evening...

you kidding me... high caliber riders on these trains?

Hardly.

Aside from the very true statements that several members have posted above, if you're referring to wealth as a measure of "caliber," then consider that some of the most difficult passengers that conductors will ever deal with are the water-walking Masters of the Universe who feel that their wealth makes them an elite breed incapable of sharing a full booth, above having to flash their commuter pass a second time if a conductor missed it during the initial check and beyond the common courtesy of talking discreetly and not leaving their dinner and spent copy of the Wall Street Journal on the seat. These types of people are even more difficult when staggering all over the bar car and find that harassing other passengers and the train crew covered in their fare.

I've seen all types of people give commuter railroad conductors a hard time, and more money doesn't necessarily equal less problems. You should have already known that since you're going to be a lawyer.

• 2 weeks later...
well i just found an article that says this guy made most of his $239k by cashing in his unused sick and vacation time. http://www.wpix.com/news/local/wpix-mta-workers-get-raise-despite-budget-deficit,0,5413461.story

are you allowed to do that in NYC Transit? that would be an incentive not to call out sick!

So if he had used all of his sick time, he would've gotten even more money, but wouldn't have gotten the attention from the media. He's just following the union contract. It could've cost them more money to hire another employee than to just give the conductor his overtime. Don't forget that for every employee that they hire, they have to pay a pension and benefits.

Also, don't forget that if he got that much overtime, he was spending a lot more time away from his family than the union rules specified. If he normally spent 40 hours per week at work and as a result over the overtime, he was spending 60 hours per week at work, that was an extra 20 hours per week that he was away from his family. Also, don't forget that if you've already worked 8 hours, the last 2 or 3 hours is a real strain, which is why overtime pay is more than straight pay.

Archived