R179 contract annoucement (w/ concrete proof)

w8Hou

Weren't they retired because of something that had to due with their brakes? They should have kept them anyway and left them in storage along with some of the other cars until it was time to pull them out. Sometimes plans do change and they have big time.

Not sure if it was the brakes - could be possible. But agreed that they probably should not have been retired so soon. And they should've been put into storage just like the R44s are now.

If what you're referring to is what I think it is - The R32 Phase II cars were retired mostly in 2008 because of problems with the NYAB brake package. The Phase I cars were kept around after that date because their brake packages performed significantly better.

If what you're referring to is what I think it is - The R32 Phase II cars were retired mostly in 2008 because of problems with the NYAB brake package. The Phase I cars were kept around after that date because their brake packages performed significantly better.

I remembered that these trains (in comparison to Phase Is) squealed as badly as the other SMEEs before stopping and during startup and understand that it's mostly due to worn out gears suddenly stopping or decelerating/accelerating without dynamic. Did this have any correspondence with the NYAB package problems such as it damaging the motors, or was it simply that the NYAB didn't induce enough pressure to stop the train via friction brakes?

I remembered that these trains (in comparison to Phase Is) squealed as badly as the other SMEEs before stopping and during startup and understand that it's mostly due to worn out gears suddenly stopping or decelerating/accelerating without dynamic. Did this have any correspondence with the NYAB package problems such as it damaging the motors, or was it simply that the NYAB didn't induce enough pressure to stop the train via friction brakes?

The squealing was caused by a number of things, depended on the particular train in question. One of the big problems with the NYAB packages occurred when RELEASING the brakes. They were very grabby and often slow to fully release, meaning they would drag as the car started. This led to increased brake shoe and wheel wear, lengthened running times, and poorer performance of the brakes when the trains attempted to stop.

interesting if Siemens or Bombardier got the job...

I actually want to see Siemens do the job. Or maybe Hyundai Rotem. Someone new who hasn't done something in the city yet. I mean, Kawasaki makes some good stuff, but they already built the R62s, R68As, R142As, R143 and the R160Bs... someone new, PUH-LEASE?

That would be funny if westinghouse builds it.

How would it be funny? The name Westinghouse is currently owned by CBS and they had ceased/losing business in all their railroad equipment. And yes, WABCO is deteriorating and might even crumble in a few years. The only stable business from Westinghouse right now is Westinghouse Nuclear and even that is currently owned by Toshiba. It's a shame that Westinghouse toppled like that; if you ask anyone outside of Engineering and Railroads about who George Westinghouse was and what he was known for, I bet you that nobody knows.

Do you even know what George Westinghouse was known for? Before you insult such a genius, I suggest that you learn about his invention and how it changed railroad tech forever.

Don't know, don't care. I like General Electric. No howling noise.

Bestinghouse.

+1

Archived