R179 contract annoucement (w/ concrete proof)

w8Hou

Westinghouse Air Brake Company much???

There's really no point to insulting someone that has changed our lives. Though Westinghouse's legacy didn't stand as anticipated, we must acknowledge especially as railfans to appreciate someone whose RR tech had saved millions of people each year worldwide. The fact that you always imply that Westinghouse and his legacy sucks because their traction motors make annoying sounds is simply immature and wrong.

There's really no point to insulting someone that has changed our lives. Though Westinghouse's legacy didn't stand as anticipated, we must acknowledge especially as railfans to appreciate someone whose RR tech had saved millions of people each year worldwide. The fact that you always imply that Westinghouse and his legacy sucks because their traction motors make annoying sounds is simply immature and wrong.

Truth!

Personally, I don't really care which company the contract goes to so long as the cars are well-engineered, durable, and compatible with but not the same as the R143/R160 car classes. I would like to see a style based on the R44/46s if possible, only updated slightly, and barring that I would like to see something similar to the M4s over in Philly on the inside. In terms of propulsion, I would love to see a Mitsubishi/IGBT propulsion similar to that used on the M7/M8s only rated for 600V instead of 750V. As to the Hyundai Rotem idea, I would exercise some caution before letting them have the contract; their only other US contract was in Philly for the Silverliner Vs, and according to railroad.net there was a great deal of political BS bordering on fraud in the Silverliner V bidding process. Apparently Rotem scored lowest in technical qualifications and offered the same bid price per car as Kawasaki, but they got the order because they were going to do shell assembly in a new Philly facility. So far, I have heard may good things about the Silverliners, but the whole thing was shady and therefore I want to see whether or not the Silverliners have serious issues before awarding them anything further.

Withtout Westinghouse,we wouldnt have this thing called...hmmmm ALTERNATE CURRENT!!!.But Edison is still my boy.

FYI, AC motors weren't used exclusively until now when the regenerative brake became an important component of every train. If you heard of the "current wars" and how Westinghouse lost, it was because using transformers were extremely expensive to use back then. Therefore, most people wouldn't credit Westinghouse for innovating AC power as much as the employees of the modern companies because all he knew was producing more power without understanding efficiency as to how to reuse juice through regenerative brakes.

Of course. And if you don't like the idea, you can always give the order to China who can give you a quality controlled set. :)

Yeah the train's exterior will be soft plastic enclosed in a shell built entirely of hardened sodium cyanide...

As far as R1-9s are concerned, the WH designs are simpler than the GE stuff to understand.

That's true. The main motor circuit on the WH R1-R9's is significantly simpler than on cars with GE switch groups.

I actually want to see Siemens do the job. Or maybe Hyundai Rotem. Someone new who hasn't done something in the city yet. I mean, Kawasaki makes some good stuff, but they already built the R62s, R68As, R142As, R143 and the R160Bs... someone new, PUH-LEASE?

Hmm...good point, but there's probably a reason why Kawasaki has gotten the most orders out of any company. Reliability. If it works well, why not order more?

Personally, I don't really care which company the contract goes to so long as the cars are well-engineered, durable, and compatible with but not the same as the R143/R160 car classes. I would like to see a style based on the R44/46s if possible, only updated slightly, and barring that I would like to see something similar to the M4s over in Philly on the inside. In terms of propulsion, I would love to see a Mitsubishi/IGBT propulsion similar to that used on the M7/M8s only rated for 600V instead of 750V. As to the Hyundai Rotem idea, I would exercise some caution before letting them have the contract; their only other US contract was in Philly for the Silverliner Vs, and according to railroad.net there was a great deal of political BS bordering on fraud in the Silverliner V bidding process. Apparently Rotem scored lowest in technical qualifications and offered the same bid price per car as Kawasaki, but they got the order because they were going to do shell assembly in a new Philly facility. So far, I have heard may good things about the Silverliners, but the whole thing was shady and therefore I want to see whether or not the Silverliners have serious issues before awarding them anything further.

I don't like singularity myself, but chances are, the R179s would be an updated version of the R160s. I seriously would like to see something different than yeah, the current NTTs.

Sure, ROTEM may have its problems, what about Siemens? I mean, we can't have everything come from Kawasaki.

I don't like singularity myself, but chances are, the R179s would be an updated version of the R160s. I seriously would like to see something different than yeah, the current NTTs.

I'd like to see something with a Slant again :cool:

I actually want to see Siemens do the job. Or maybe Hyundai Rotem. Someone new who hasn't done something in the city yet. I mean, Kawasaki makes some good stuff, but they already built the R62s, R68As, R142As, R143 and the R160Bs... someone new, PUH-LEASE?
Bombardier could use some work right about now.But years ago the St Louis Car company was snatching up most of the orders except R32 and R46.So if you were this age back during that order,you would be cursing out St louis car.LOL.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Yeah but st louis went out because of the R44 order had "sooooo"much problems they went bankrupt from the mta sue that made them pay for their damage.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Bring back the Classic "A.C.F" design and Motors then the b division will be awsome again.

Archived