9/11 Subway Plans

Closed Chambers St., ran the (1) to New Lots, no (1) to South Ferry. No (9) service.

That's what I remember.

(2) ran local from 96th to Chambers 24/7 and (3) ran express and terminated at 14th Street. Occasionally, a (2) got sent down the express tracks if there was already a (1) sitting at 96th Street.

Occasionally, a (2) got sent down the express tracks if there was already a (1) sitting at 96th Street.

A very very very very very very very RARE occasion, take it form a T/O who worked those lines until they got the Ferry Opened again...

A very very very very very very very RARE occasion, take it form a T/O who worked those lines until they got the Ferry Opened again...

Yes. I remember it being an extremely rare occasion. I rode the (2) almost every day during that time. I worked at the Barnes & Noble near Lincoln Center, so I was able to ride the (2) directly to 66th Street to get to and from work.

(C)(N)(R)(Z)(9) Suspended.

Lower Manhattan Broadway Service Suspended; Canal St to DeKalb Avenue.

(Q)<Q>(W) via Bridge

(J) replaced the (R) between Court St & 95 St.

(M2) replaced the (N) between Court St & Coney Island.

(Q) replaced the (R) via Local between Canal St & Forest Hills-71 Av.

*Late nights (Q) cut back to 57 St/7 Av.

(W) replaced the (N) via Local between Canal St & Ditmars Blvd.

*Late nights the (W) ran in 2 sections; Astoria to Herald Square-34 St; Northbound skipped 49 St. And 36 St/4 Av to Coney Island via West End Shuttle.

<Q> ran as the only Broadway Express; Normal Service as well-57 St/7 Av to Brighton Beach

(E) Local extended via the (C) between Canal St & Euclid Avenue.

And like the previous posts are stated, the (1)(2)(3)(9) had their respective G.O.s

Zach

I remembered this very well:

The service that MOST people are talking about occurred on the 17th, which was the Monday after 9/11. Between the 12th to the 16th, there was very limited subway service to Lower Manhattan because of the heavy debris. Many of these stations were simply shuttered. This lingered to the end of the month, when more of these Lower Manhattan stations were re-opened.

The MTA had to bring up contingency service because it had to get the people to go back to work again (although a number of buildings suffered some form of damage relating to the destruction of the towers; notably the Deutsche Bank and the WFC/Winter Garden complex). Thus, bus lines were rerouted: Park Row was sealed off, and buses had to use Worth, Frankfort and Water.

The (J) took over the (R) from Court to 95th, running full time. The (M) took over the (N) after the Montague tunnel. Initially Park Place was closed but was later reopened on the (2) line. They later decided to send the (1)(2) into Brooklyn with the (1) taking over the (3) in Brooklyn and cut the (3) at 14th Street. The (2) ran local at all times. The (9) was shuttered because there was already a second local and the Clark Street tunnel probably won't be able to handle a third service, and besides it was already redundant. The (E), IIRC, was initially sent to Brooklyn taking over the (C) line, I think. But later it was cut right at Canal. Trains ran light to WTC to cross over, but returned to Canal for passengers. (Q)(W) ran local in Manhattan. Only the <Q> was express.

In October, the damage on the BMT Broadway in Lower Manhattan was essentially fixed and it was deemed safe to run trains through. Cortlandt Street, which was close to Ground Zero was boarded up (and stayed like that for a year). All Broadway services returned normal.

In January (I remembered this VERY well): the (E) returned to WTC.

In March, most of the debris was largely cleared in Ground Zero to warrant the reconstruction of the 1/9 tunnel. This tunnel was finished around August and test trains began to run through. On the 16th of September, the South Ferry portioned reopened, along with BMT Cortlandt. All 7th/Broadway service was essentially restored, save one station.

In November 2003, the PATH station reopened.

The (9) had resumed service once the (1) train service to South Ferry was restored I believe either late Summer,or early Fall of 2002

Sunday, September 15, 2002, the (1)(2)(3) resumed regular service again, while Monday Morning, September 16, 2002, the (9) resumed service. (9) service came to an end on Friday May 27, 2005. Monday, May 30, 2005, it was just the (1) as the Broadway/7 Av Local, and has been the same since.

It did return. After much of the debris was cleared at Ground Zero, the first priority was to rebuild the 1/9 tunnel box. Of course, many passengers weren't content with the service change then so they want to revert back to pre-9/11 service ASAP. The tunnel was completed in 4-5 months, with testing beginning right after. Yes, on 16/9/2002 full service was restored to the (9). The other lines resumed normal patterns a day earlier.

Archived