Worst experience transit Fanning?

TransitStop

well last week i was in Montreal visiting family and since they know i like transit they bought me a Opus pass worth over 20$ ( i think ) so anyways i encountered 3 things that made me never want to photograph/or travel Via transit montreal transit or CIT .

1) taking a photo of a 2010 Nova LFS Artic i was flipped off by a driver

2) when i was at Longuil taking a photo of a RTS i had some lady start yelling at me saying i can be put in jail for doing what i was doing ( and im only 15! )

3) my Opus card woudlnt work after only using 10$ and i was all the way in Longuil ( i have to take two metros and a bus to get back to my dads ) so i had find as much loose change in my pocket just to pay !

so now that i vented LOL B) whats ur stories

Back in January I wanted to fan the (J), (A) and (3) lines to get shots of Rockaway station rehabs and shots along the Livonia line (one of the most underfanned lines in the system) on a Sunday. After waiting 15 minutes for a J train that was supposed to run every 10 minutes I decided to bus it down to Rockaway Blvd. (A) to save time. After waiting 25 minutes in 20 degree weather for a Far Rockaway bound train I decided to turn back at Broad Channel for fear of being late. Then after waiting 21 minutes at Franklin Ave. I got a (3) train, but I was about 45 minutes late for the sunset because (MTA) trains run like complete and utter shit.

I carried a few bus maps, on the (2)(5) subway line, (forgot where specifically) and a station booth cleaner berated me because he thought I was littering at the station. I basically had to leave, take a bus, and then hop on another subway line. I just have to learn how to keep everything away then.

Two different encounters with cops:

one at the BMT City Hall station 2003~, I saw the gate to the lower level was open and wanted to get a quick pic of it and two cops on an (R) yelled at me. I paniced a bit, but didn't 'talk back' [ie: apologized and said it was a school thing] and deleted the image. Doors closed and that was that. I was a bit shaken up by the event.

2nd time was in the Bronx on one of the (4) stations and was kinda chasing after the train because it was at a curve and wanted a better shot and the cop there questioned me. I 'apologized' and went to the other platform to take the downtown train back towards Manhattan.

Both times I kept calm and didn't say anything about 'my rights to take pics' and nothing more came of it [ie: didn't ask for id].

So basically I keep an eye out if there are cops around before taking pics.

One time when I was doing restroom break at LGA Airport's Delta Terminal, I had put pen on my messed up Queens Bus Map that it belongs to me.

And after I did you know what, PANY&NJ Custodian threw into the garbage and I went after it, but it was too LATE because it had stain on. I was so angry at custodian for throwing my Queens Bus Map.

Coming home from Philadelphia, was planning on taking Amtrak. But the caternary was down in upper NJ that day due to heavy rain or something. So SEPTA/NJ transit also wasnt an option.

They gave us a MegaBus, for free, to ride. But the ride was awful. Uncomfortable. Couldnt sleep at all.

Worst for me was a couple years back I decided to take a ride out to the Rockaways just for the hell of it. Train was empty coming back so I decided to stand by the front window, why not, had to get off near the front anyway for my stop.

Then some blubbering railien comes in and won't shut up and stands right AT the window and asks me every 5 seconds until I can't stand it "HOW FAST WE GOIN' HOW FAST WE GOIN'"

Couldn't get off that train fast enough (ie NEXT STOP). Foamers like that ruin the joy of riding any piece of equipment for anyone.

You started that story off with Rockaway and the first thing that came to my mind was "OH SHIZ, SG GOT MUGGED!"

Nah SG won't put up with that (well if you can say my line "Kill all fat cats" I can say this...) mopery

Back in January I wanted to fan the (J), (A) and (3) lines to get shots of Rockaway station rehabs and shots along the Livonia line (one of the most underfanned lines in the system) on a Sunday. After waiting 15 minutes for a J train that was supposed to run every 10 minutes I decided to bus it down to Rockaway Blvd. (A) to save time. After waiting 25 minutes in 20 degree weather for a Far Rockaway bound train I decided to turn back at Broad Channel for fear of being late. Then after waiting 21 minutes at Franklin Ave. I got a (3) train, but I was about 45 minutes late for the sunset because (MTA) trains run like complete and utter shit.

That was your worst? I thought that time we were to go fanning and ended up losing out on 3 hours of time because of someone's lateness would be up there. I call that my worst. It was frigging hot that day too.

it happened while doing some fanning out in suffolk....

dam S58 kept getting stuck in traffic at different points along rt. 25 (the worst of it was around smith haven); shit almost took 3 hrs from huntington sq mall to riverhead (the full route).... even the b/o was cursing (which was the only think that kept any type of smile on my face)..... then I got on a S92, where I had to deal with a bunch of drunkards (no they weren't illegals/roaches/whatever other creative name JohnQpine has for them) from Riverhead to around Bridgehampton (no folks, all is not glamour, glitz, and gold out in the Hamptons, lemme tell ya)... when the bus (s92) finally got to LIRR East Hampton, I had to wait about an hour for the 10c; nothin was wrong w/ that ride.... then caught a waiting S94 to the Lighthouse......

Heading back home, while not *as* aggravating, it was still frustrating....

I had to walk the S94 route (and then some, to LIRR Montauk) in the blazing heat... waited over 2 hrs for the train... we get to LIRR Patchogue, and for whatever the reason, the train stalls there for about a half hour... eventually we get to Jamaica... then I xfer for a LIRR Flatbush av bound train, take that to LIRR ENY, for a quick walk for the B12... I get on that bus... where two guys get into a fight (on the bus) at utica/ENY av....

from there, I just said **** it, and walked home from there (which for me, is a 15-20 min. walk).....

when I got home that day, I just lied down, looking up at the ceiling, looking discouraged as all hell, tryna figure out where I went wrong....

this wasn't the actual first, but it was one-of-the-first fantrips where I ventured out to suffolk.... that next day, I sat up there and studied and micro-analyzed (lol) the SCT map, to get a feel of what routes go where.... this is why I'm far more familiar w/ SCT than I am w/ LIB (+ quite frankly, SCT routes offer for more interesting rides, IMO)

That was your worst? I thought that time we were to go fanning and ended up losing out on 3 hours of time because of someone's lateness would be up there. I call that my worst. It was frigging hot that day too.

Damn, I thought I was generous in giving a person 20min, but 3hrs? I would've said to hell with that person and stick with the current plan B)

exactly why I don't bother asking if people wanna go on fantrips.... a pet peeve of mine is having to wait on someone (or having ppl. wait on me)... very uneasy (and downright irritable) feeling I get....

on a lot of the trips I go on, I do them straight through... meaning, no pictures, no lunch/food breaks, etc....

and reading some of the trips over the years that some of you go on, y'all would hate fanning with me... lol....

no nonsense type'a dude when it comes to gettin what I want to do.... done.

lollygagging has never been my thing....

Oh I agree, you can do a whole lot going solo, done so many times over the years. No holding back, no waiting etc.

But I do have one rule that people should be w/in my time frame of 20min as I would for their trips. Anything more will just force me to say 'the hell with the person' and off we go.

Oh I agree, you can do a whole lot going solo, done so many times over the years. No holding back, no waiting etc.

But I do have one rule that people should be w/in my time frame of 20min as I would for their trips. Anything more will just force me to say 'the hell with the person' and off we go.

lol im glad i live in a much much much smaller city ( ottawa ) all of us either meet up at Hurdman station after school or something or during the summer a station along the transitway ( which is very easy to access )

About three times a month I railfan with other people...most a group of six...the least just me and someone else. Sometimes if we're lucky we run into people out of the blue...I ran into one of my friends on a 32 (V) back in April when I got off the (R) at Queens Plaza...I didn't even have to wait a minute...the train pulled into the station and I saw him at the RFW...we rode it to Forest Hills and then we went out own ways afterwards.

Some days I'm in the mood to railfan with other people...sometimes, myself. In February I spent the whole day by myself...went to practically every borough. I was out from 7 a to 7 p that day.

why don't you guyz get together and go to Miami or Puerto Rico for example and go rail fan out there & bring back some decent shots. Don't you get bored of the same ol' nyc subways?

I never get bored here. I love NYC. No one can compare to our subway system (except for PATH butt hey don't allow photos). Many other systems aren't even open 24/7 like hours.

Sometime this year, I do plan on traveling to Washington DC again.... while there, I'm goin to fan as many of those routes as possible....

don't worry, I won't come back here waxing poetic in a state of euphoria about how fantastically superb WMATA is....

*smh*

I never get bored here. I love NYC. No one can compare to our subway system (except for PATH butt hey don't allow photos). Many other systems aren't even open 24/7 like hours.

I understand NYC is #1, But I would be curiose to see how it works in different parts of the world, comprende?

Archived